Campfire Member
C
Eric -did you do the combo hunt DIY?

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you lived around here, I'd take you out hunting a bit to show you the ropes. I'm sure there are people where you live that would do the same to get you off on the right foot. Just ask around.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by canoetrpr
Eric -did you do the combo hunt DIY?

Sure did, on public and private land. A good member of the fire joined us. We had good luck with antelope on BLM land, but the early snowfall pushed many animals to lower elevation, which is why we ended up paying an access fee to get on private land in order to chase white tails. The rancher showed us where they pattern on his property. The local intel was invaluable.

Eric

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Eric, the combo sounds exciting. My antelope hunt is a late hunt (Nov 8). We've been a tad worried about whether they will show up but I realized in the unit we are hunting (antelope 102) it coincidences with the WT hunt dates in that area.

Could be something we consider for next year as well.

This year we were late to the party as we were planning on hunting moose so never got into the Wyoming draw and had to concentrate on a unit with left over tags but little to no public land.

Will be on the ball for next year. If you have a suggestion of a unit with decent access for a combo hunt, and don't mind sharing it, drop me a PM.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
To be a flexible hunter you will need to combine a number of skillsets. If you start hiking a lot you can teach yourself land navigation, tracking, practice survival skills, learn to observe all critters. Birds, squirrels, bears, learning their habits will translate to other places. To see animals you will train yourself to move quietly and efficiently and to discern patterns and movement.

As you progress you can expand your horizons to encompass all 4 seasons and determine what is important in selecting equipment. Never miss a chance to practice your shooting and embrace dryfire as an essential training tool.

The more time you spend in the outdoors the better you will be in skills and attitude. Ethics are important, never compromise yours. You are embarking on a great journey, enjoy the ride.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snyper
Start hunting squirrels with a pistol, and you'll learn to move without being seen or heard.

If you can get close enough to a squirrel to kill it with a handgun, sneaking up on a deer will be easy

+1 on this.

Even with a rifle, if you have tree squirrels to hunt, they are about the finest practice for woods deer hunting that I know of.
You'll be out there learning how and when to move.
You'll be sharpening your game eye, and learn to see more.
You'll acquaint yourself on game shooting, and getting a shot on target in a timely manner.

and...

You'll have a ton of fun...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

canoetrpr:

Start hunting on your own, do-it-yourself (DIY) style. Have fun. It doesn't really matter where or for what game species. Have fun. Make some mistakes and learn from them. Have some more fun. Keep your eyes open and keep your mind open. Get frustrated and get over it. Eventually you will figure it out and have some more fun. That's how the rest of us did it.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KC

canoetrpr:

Start hunting on your own, do-it-yourself (DIY) style. Have fun. It doesn't really matter where or for what game species. Have fun. Make some mistakes and learn from them. Have some more fun. Keep your eyes open and keep your mind open. Get frustrated and get over it. Eventually you will figure it out and have some more fun. That's how the rest of us did it.

KC

Best advice so far.

Carpe' Scrotum
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,618
Posts18,454,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.