Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Naa...

one to melt butter
one to cook rice without boil over
one hot enough to fry
one hot enough to melt cast iron

smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by 5sdad
My original thought was that the stove controls that I have been in contact with over my lifetime are basically just that: on or off. I realize that I have probably run in an incredible string of bad luck (AKA cheap stoves), but I have yet to find one that will "tone down" to where things keep receiving heat without them boiling or frying. This applies to both electric stoves and gas stoves (which always turn off the flame long before reaching the "off" point, but not at any definitely delineated point along the way). Both my ineptitude around a stove and the first of my three signature lines must be kept in mind when considering this issue.

The gas stove valves with which I'm familiar have their lowest "on setting" farthest away from the off setting. They start with off, then twist to high, and more twisting lowers the flame. When they reach the stop, the flame is very low. When they're set up this way you can quickly twist the knob to a very low setting without any danger of putting the fire out.

It seems like you've been fighting the system.

I think mathman is onto something. If the flame goes out on the lowest setting (LOW) there's something wrong with the stove. What's wrong ... I have no idea. On some stoves there's an adjustment for the air mix. It might be a weak gas supply. Like I said though ... I dunno.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

372 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 40 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,330
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.