Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Crowkiller
I have a cds and a M1. The cds has turned just by placing in and getting out of a soft gun case. The M1 is much tougher to move accidentally. The cds has trained me to check the turret.

I would be very happy with the moa cds dial if it had more resistance.

+1.Same thing happened to me. I learned to keep a watchful eye on the dial. I let a buddy shoot my EW with the VX3 3.5-10x40 W/CDS and he was shooting way high. Checked the dial and sure as chit it had turned to about 3-4. That was a nuisance, as well as a common occurrence with that scope.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I guess I'm the odd man out. I have several CDS equipped rifles and find they work very well for me. The zero stop makes them foolproof IMO. Conditions would have to be perfect for me to shoot long range at big game, but it's sure fun to blast 'yotes, hogs, and misc hard targets.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
400 is about where the LR reticle starts to not work for me. Once you get over 400 there starts to be a lot of air between the 400 dot and the 500 yd aim point on top of the post. The LR reticle really only covers about 99.99% of my hunting shot opportunities....

David

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nope...Im odd too, but as stated earlier, I truly don't plan on shooting past 400 yards. Mine is on a .243 and surely you can hit them farther away than that...but I want to kill them.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Canazes9
400 is about where the LR reticle starts to not work for me. Once you get over 400 there starts to be a lot of air between the 400 dot and the 500 yd aim point on top of the post. The LR reticle really only covers about 99.99% of my hunting shot opportunities....

David

Same here...99.9%

Trying it out one day I lazered a gopher at 467 in a 25 mph wind. Held right above the 500 yd. mark, and hung it into the wind a matter of a few feet, figuring I could fire and adjust for the next shot.

That .1% and divine intervention landed that bullet on that poor gopher... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ingwe

Trying it out one day I lazered a gopher at 467 in a 25 mph wind. Held right above the 500 yd. mark, and hung it into the wind a matter of a few feet, figuring I could fire and adjust for the next shot.

That .1% and divine intervention landed that bullet on that poor gopher... grin

I hope you had a witness so you could play like you make those shots 1st time every time. I once shot a starling first shot with 17 hmr just a little under 200 with the whole camp watching. Poof of feathers and the little carcass falling off the purple martin house by the pond. Quietly put the rifle away and went back to bidness like it was an everyday thing with several astonished onlookers....

David

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Only one witness and he was as surprised as me and the gopher was!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best way I could describe the CDS stops would be "mushy". Shot a M1, SWFA, and CDS today. Sombody mentioned the low profile, which I do like.

Oh, and shot a buds VX1 with the finger adjustments. Oof.....

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm going to throw a 3rd option out there.

Boone & Crocket reticle, if your a dedicated Leupold user. It has marks out to 500 yds with 10 mph windage holds to 400. With the right rangefinder, 500 yds should not be an issue.

Slidellkid, do you have a rangefinder? If not, I would suggest a Leica 1600 or 1600B. They both have a feature called EHR or Equivalent Horizontal Range. Each of the range finders has 12 internal ballistic curves. You pick the the curve closest to your rifles ballistic curve. One can get pretty close, especially if 500 yds is the max distance. The Leica's will take into account the temp, baro pressure and angle and give you an adjusted range to hold for. Example; your true distance is 450 yds but due to one or all the variables (temp, baro, angle), the range finder will first give 450 then, say, 411 yds. You then use the 400 yd crosshair with a skootch more holdover, say an inch, and you've got venison on the ground. No dialing. No worrying about the dial accidentally turning when you least expect it. No tall dials. Just point and shoot.

With that said, i'm a dialing fiend! I dial as well as hold over in moa for competition and LR hunting. I dialed a few weeks back to kill my spike elk at 950 yds. I own CDS, B&C and pure dialing scopes. I use them all and love them all.

Just another option.

Alan

Last edited by GSSP; 10/26/14.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Never had a CDS move, but really, how hard is it to glance at the dial before squeezing off a shot?

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I also always check my CDS dial before the shot. I range the distance and then check or adjust the CDS dial to match the ranged distance.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Contrary to many others, I've had M1 turrets move unintentionally. But you check the drag before casting.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by boltgunjim
I also always check my CDS dial before the shot. I range the distance and then check or adjust the CDS dial to match the ranged distance.

With long range reticle my hunting partner ranges while I'm getting on target and 3 seconds later......bang....flop!

With CDS Its range....3 second dial....3 second getting on target and the 8 point bull elk just ducked in the trees. grin

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Shodd

With long range reticle my hunting partner ranges while I'm getting on target and 3 seconds later......bang....flop!

With CDS Its range....3 second dial....3 second getting on target and the 8 point bull elk just ducked in the trees. grin

Shod

While it may seem that way, I guarantee that you aren't flopping down and shooting in 3 seconds.

It takes about 2 minutes of practice to learn to spin a dial in 2 seconds or less. From seeing and teaching hundreds of shooters there is zero doubt that it is faster for the majority to HIT vital sized targets in the field dialing versus holding.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've never had a CDS spin on its own, but I don't use saddle scabbards and am careful with my rifles.

I guess it depends on how one handles his firearm and the type hunting one is engaged in.

To me, the CDS is a simple solution for a simple hunter. Did I say "simple minded"... shocked

That may apply, too... cool

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I may very well resemble that remark......

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

To me, the CDS is a simple solution for a simple hunter. Did I say "simple minded"... shocked

That may apply, too... cool

DF

Were you talking to me (if not you should have been) smile I've gotten myself into more discussions around here lately than ever before on this dial spinning stuff. Not sure why I've wasted my time on it when a gusting 15-25mph wind will render every turret, hash, dot, dial, useless anyway.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Not sure why I've wasted my time on it when a gusting 15-25mph wind will render every turret, hash, dot, dial, useless anyway.

That's some funny schit.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I try not to get too deep into the subject because A) I don't have much experience spinning turrets and B)My CDS works great and doesn't feel 'mushy' to me! grin

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I respect LR hunters and target shooter who can do the real long range stuff, read the wind, etc.

That's not me, never has been and probably never will be. It's like we're talking about two different worlds.

In my world, making a 500 yd. shot at a hog, 'yote, etc. across a bean field or down a power line is a LR shot. I generally don't shoot at deer that far, because I can't read a rack at those distances.

If I see a whopper of a rack and know it's a real shooter, I want to be able to crank in the yardage and take the shot. Hogs and other vermin are targets of opportunity. I don't really care if they're gut shot, etc., just shot... smile

I'm a lot more careful with deer.

DF

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,219
Posts18,466,425
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.