Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I have not purchased a new Leupold in 30 years (that's how long they last) but I would like to get a new VX-6. Rather than sidetrack a couple of other threads about the VX-6 right now I thought I would ask this question, so school me on this: What is the difference between M1 and CDS. I don't do much long range shooting; however the other day I saw a nice buck on a pipeline that was at least 500 yards away. I realized then that I had no clue how to shoot that far with my current Vari-x II setup.

What are the differences between M1 and CDS. I do not need a dedicated long range gun, just a better ability to practice for those occassions when I might have to reach out there.

Dan

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I don't think you can get an M1 on VX-6, but the difference is one is flush and un capped versus 7/8" and capped. If you want M1's go VX-3.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Anxious to hear the answers. It seems the serious guys swear by the M1 for long range. I am not that serious, so I bought a CDS, and have practiced quite a bit with it out to 500 (don't plan on shooting farther than that...) and I can't imagine a system being simpler. Mine is in place for that shot that present itself above and beyond the 300 yards or less where most of my game is taken. Soooo with what little exposure Ive had, and the guys Ive asked on this forum whom I trust, it seems like the M1 for serious repetitive long range shooting, and the CDS for us simpler souls......

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I have not purchased a new Leupold in 30 years (that's how long they last) but I would like to get a new VX-6. Rather than sidetrack a couple of other threads about the VX-6 right now I thought I would ask this question, so school me on this: What is the difference between M1 and CDS. I don't do much long range shooting; however the other day I saw a nice buck on a pipeline that was at least 500 yards away. I realized then that I had no clue how to shoot that far with my current Vari-x II setup.

What are the differences between M1 and CDS. I do not need a dedicated long range gun, just a better ability to practice for those occassions when I might have to reach out there.

Dan

The CDS is a low profile turret and can be utilized as a regular turret (MOA) or you can have a turret made for your specific load. The CDS can also be had with or without a zero stop. It is not a capped turret. It remains exposed.

The M1 is a standard turret (also exposed) and is used as a standard MOA turret. It cannot be had with a zero stop. It is by far the most preferred turret offered by Leupold and for good reason. The clicks are positive, the numbers are easy to read, and it can be easily used with wet, cold, and gloved hands.

The CDS moves more easily. I have not had problems due to this, but they do move more easily.

IMO zero stops are fine if you don't need more than one revolution of the turret, but they are by no means necessary.

If I were going to recommend a turret to a person that wants to learn to use turrets, I would recommend the M1.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Anxious to hear the answers. It seems the serious guys swear by the M1 for long range. I am not that serious, so I bought a CDS, and have practiced quite a bit with it out to 500 (don't plan on shooting farther than that...) and I can't imagine a system being simpler. Mine is in place for that shot that present itself above and beyond the 300 yards or less where most of my game is taken. Soooo with what little exposure I've had, and the guys I've asked on this forum whom I trust, it seems like the M1 for serious repetitive long range shooting, and the CDS for us simpler souls......

This pretty well sums it up for me.

I think those who shoot very long distances in wind, etc., hunting and target, need something more. That's not what I need or want, as I seldom shoot over 500 yds. and where I hunt, wind isn't a major issue.

Agreeing with Ingwe... blush

What's the world coming to... laugh

DF

IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
CDS offers easier or softer clicks, lower profile,and some what smaller numbers,and only 1 revolution if a zero stops used!

Target turrets come capped, M1's are not covered!

Factory M1's are not available with a zero stop but recently an aftermarket ZS is being offered, M1's are designed to use all the elevation in the scope, M1's are taller and offer very positive clicks!

I prefer my M1's to my cds but they both pretty much do the same thing out to 700 yds give or take!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Pat yourself on the back, the world is about to get better for you.

Only the most astute and intelligent can grasp my concepts.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Pat yourself on the back, the world is about to get better for you.

Only the most astute and intelligent can grasp my concepts.... grin

So, my world is gonna brighten up... cool

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep! You're gonna need those shades!

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't have, and have never used, the M1. I am very pleased with the CDS for my application though. I have my own limitations on range for hunting based on the limited amount of longer range field shooting I get to do throughout the year. The CDS is a very easy way to add a level of precision out to 500yds (my range). I also like the lower profile and the zero stop. I trust the opinions of those who prefer the M1 for their application, but the CDS is also very good for it's intended use.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have had cds turrets move while attached to a pack. M1's never have for me. This is a big consideration for me. Nothing like a guess of zero on a large deer.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I used a CDS last year and played with another one over the summer. After spending some time with them I don't dislike them as much as I originally did. For my use...

1. Only with a 0-stop to counter the easy turn..which makes them a 1 rotation dial. Fine for most hunting.
2. Only with a generic dial. I don't have a use for load specific dial limitations. Would be nice if the numbers were all shown (somebody had one made), but I can live with the generic.

M1's have a lot of advantages over the CDS and the further the distance, the more those advantages stand out. That said, CDS with a 0-stop and generic dial is a low profile handy package at hunting ranges.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Did not know of a zero stop for a cds. I will call leupold when i can.

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Last edited by GregW; 10/22/14.

- Greg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW
I have had cds turrets move while attached to a pack. M1's never have for me. This is a big consideration for me. Nothing like a guess of zero on a large deer.

I have the Burris' C4 scope, like Leupold's CDS.

I have the scope marked how many revolutions from grounded the zero is. On mine, with my load, two and 1/2 revolutions bring me back to true zero.

I'm sure that's the same with the CDS.

I just print a label with the info and stick it on the objective bell.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by GregW
Did not know of a zero stop for a cds. I will call leupold when i can.

You can do it yourself. There was a thread here a while back with details. I've done two. It takes about 5 minutes to do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Scope getting dumped though. Thanks.

M1 muy bueno....

- Greg

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a cds and a M1. The cds has turned just by placing in and getting out of a soft gun case. The M1 is much tougher to move accidentally. The cds has trained me to check the turret.

I would be very happy with the moa cds dial if it had more resistance.

TANSTAAFL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Positive stops with a cap like this and CDS wouldn't be near the POS that it is

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

687 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 67 invisible), 3,525 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.