Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yep. I wonder how many hundreds of cases of mild fever and upset stomach an ER Dr sees in a hospital like Presby per month.

CDC is the govt group who spent 7 mo getting ready for Ebola. How many docs were specifically trained in its early detection, for those who are critical of the handling of the Duncan case.

I bring this up realizing this thread is not dedicated to Ebola, but with respect to the fact it is touching on diagnostic accuracy.

Last edited by eyeball; 10/22/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I don't know about Dallas Presbyterian, but in my little ER in BFE west Texas gastroenteritis has been the number one diagnosis for the past 2 weeks.

It happens every year: 3 weeks after school starts there's a respiratory virus epidemic, and 6-8 weeks after schools starts there's a gastroenteritis epidemic. Happens everywhere, every school year.

It fer dang sure ain't Ebola.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I don't know about Dallas Presbyterian, but in my little ER in BFE west Texas gastroenteritis has been the number one diagnosis for the past 2 weeks.

It happens every year: 3 weeks after school starts there's a respiratory virus epidemic, and 6-8 weeks after schools starts there's a gastroenteritis epidemic. Happens everywhere, every school year.

It fer dang sure ain't Ebola.

But there are those who arent docs who would never be human to miss an early case of Ebola. If you don't believe it just ask them. wink

Last edited by eyeball; 10/22/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by poboy
I've had flu shots for years. I haven't seen
a down side to them.

they are a waste of money. I get them, but I have never gotten the flu. shocked

Sam......

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Ifin flu vaccines were so good why isn't the gooberment adding it into their chemtrails???

grin

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I just think you folks shouldn't be so actively suppressing that information.

No one is "suppressing information", dumbass!

In fact, no one is suppressing the dumbass.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
<sigh>

In McCoy's voice: "He's brain-dead, Jim! I'm a doctor, not a miracle-worker!!"

grin

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Dumbass suppressant.

I see we are back to discussing ebola.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gee. I guess my dad, a practicing internist since about 1960, was wrong all those thousands of times he's diagnosed influenza in his patients and family members.

Is this the same Dad you were speaking of when you advised folks that going to a doctor was the most hazardous thing they could do to their health?

for posterity:
Originally Posted by TRH
Going to the doctor is one of the most dangerous things you can do these days, and should be avoided to the extent possible.

You're pulling him like Lawyer Dagget.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
...it's the flouride Doc...

It's hard not to think you are awesome. Especially when you are being a smartass ! grin

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All I know is I'm not going to panic.

I have full PPE gear in my Ebola bug-out bag and plenty of canned sardines. grin

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hawk, as usual your posts on this thread (like all immunization topics) are short-sighted, personally biased, and lacking even a shred of scientific fact. Thanks for sharing.
Each vaccination is a dice roll. You may argue as to how many sides there are on the dice, but the high number comes up from time to time, and with devastating effect. I just think you folks shouldn't be so actively suppressing that information. People have a right to know.

This is a perfect example of Doc's statement. Literally too stupid to live. Thanks for stepping up to the plate and hitting it out of the park.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Each vaccination is a dice roll. You may argue as to how many sides there are on the dice, but the high number comes up from time to time, and with devastating effect. I just think you folks shouldn't be so actively suppressing that information. People have a right to know.

Good grief, It's a risk every time you get in your car yet you do it daily. Seems so far you have survived.

Thanks for the reminder Doc. I need to get my flu shot ASAP!

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Dumbass suppressant.

I see we are back to discussing ebola.

I gotta get me a couple cans of that there Dumbass Suppressant. I hear it's on sale at Home Depot.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Serious ? for Doc: How important is the flu vaccine for a relatively healthy 51YO? I've never had one.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't get duped by a blind man into gouging your own eyes out.

I like it

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Raeford
Serious ? for Doc: How important is the flu vaccine for a relatively healthy 51YO? I've never had one.
Amazing! You must just be lucky. laugh

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You don't need a fugging flu shot. You'll be fine.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Well, it depends on how you define "serious".

If "serious" means, "will getting a Fluvax ironclad-guarantee save my life this flu season?", well, the answer is Probably Not.

The benefits of this vaccine in one individual is totally unpredictable. You could end up with a severe adverse reaction, but the probability of that is extremely low. On the other end of the spectrum, you could end up being one of the 60% of the population that DOESN'T DIE if a true pandemic hits us and wipes out 40% of the population, as it did in some parts of the world in 1918-19. But the probability of THAT is also extremely low.

The reality is that your personal, direct benefit from getting a ful shot this fall is likely to be unnoticeable to you. If it prevents you getting a bad case of influenza, then you won't be sick in bed wishing you were dead for 5 days and then feeling like you'd been dragged through a knothole backwards by your scrotum for another 10-14 days. Since you won't be noticing those symptoms, you really won't have any perception of benefit. But if you DON'T get the shot and DO get those symptoms, you'll fer damn sure be wishing you HAD got the shot.

The benefits of having the majority of Americans get flu shots is best measured in terms of population benefits. In other words, if you and most of the people in your community get flu shots, fewer old people and fewer babies will die this winter, and the chances of a truly horrible pandemic sweeping through your community this year or in the next 10 years is reduced.

But like Hawkeye says, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Note: none of the above advice applies to Flave, Shrapnel, the Poohbah, nor any other superhuman members of the 24HCF who I may have, without intending any offense or incurring any liability, legal or otherwise, neglected to mention by name in this disclaimer.

Last edited by DocRocket; 10/22/14. Reason: Fear of de Flave

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by deflave

You don't need a fugging flu shot. You'll be fine.

Travis
SACRILEGE! BLASPHEME! Bring in the thumb screws, Torquemada! Err, I mean, DocRocket. grin

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

314 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,740
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.