Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The draw is so good it's like your shooting 5-10lbs less then actual draw weight.

I never really thought the smooth draw of the SBXT could be beat. I stand corrected! This is really a nice bow! The first time in almost a decade I have shot something that might be better then the SBXT for me!

Tomorrow I will shoot it with my arrows over my chronograph to see if it's actually as fast as they claim. I was told it will exceed 280fps, probably 290. I'll let you guys know!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
good luck. I reccomend finding an Obsession Phoenix. Then youll experience the definition of smooth, fast, and quiet. The Elite is too grip sensitive for my taste. They do tune. but cam lean is obnoxious. And their warranty dept is a joke.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
JJ.....is that the Energy 32? What poundage were you messing with?

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
65 pounds

My SBXT is 63, honestly this energy 32 felt noticeably less. The fit finish and quality was perfect, as is that satin all black finish.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, it was a 65lb draw but would get about 68 locked down

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like my 13' model Answer. I cracked up at the pro shop guy when I took it in to check the pull weight. I had it cranked down near max (60 lb. bow) and he put it on the scale, pulled down and guessed 55lbs. before looking up - the scale read 62 lbs..

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, Visited the Pro shop today to follow up on the elite bow.

Bizarre and interesting to say the least! First the good stuff. The 29" draw bow set to 65lbs draw shot my 420 grain arrows over my Chronograph at 279.xx five times in a row. Every shot was within +- .35fps I shoot 28.5" draw, so this was close. It's over 70FPE and as easy to draw and hold as a much lighter draw weight bow. It has zero hand shock and no vibration. It is also near dead silent. As quiet as any bow I have tried. It's really quite impressive! Also a forever lifetime warranty for any owner, (like leupold scopes) buy a used one, and it's warranty is as good for you as if you purchased it brand new.

Now the part that is bizarre. There are none for sale in the configuration I want. I also cannot order one from a dealer, and I cannot buy one direct from Elite! This is quite odd to say the least. It's a 900.00 bow and they cannot get one for me to purchase?

I was told by both the Elite dealers I visited the same exact thing. Buy one used from Archery talk and bring it in, we will change the cams to 28.5 for you and you're good to go. It will be hundreds cheaper and available now with the same warranty!

It's really odd that a dealer would suggest you not buy new from them but rather used from an on line forum! I asked this of them, how can you be in business for these guys if you point customers to the used market? The reply was

" I have cancelled more orders with elite then I have held to the point of sale."
" I have had bows on order with elite for 6 months"
" They only take orders in Jan for the whole year and once they are gone you have to wait til the next manufacturing year."
" we no longer take customer orders for Elite bows"

So this is a weird and...... I think unworkable situation! If I could find a like new used bow on Archery talk I would still consider it. But I would not settle for something close. Odds of finding exact ( except for the draw length module) might be a while? I have not checked the Classifieds there to know.

Elite is probably a good name for the company. It is an elite quality product in what seems to be very Extraordinary limited availability. If you're shooting one you must be " Elite"!

After shooting this one many times, not even set exactly as I need, it is as smooth and perfect as this modernized medieval invention can be. I may continue "shopping" to see what else I can find. There are other options to be sure. I'm not certain that one could be better, but if it's equal and with some kind of dealer support network and product availability that could be the better option.

Even as I type this with the frustration I had in finding one. I think about the way that bow feels, I want to be shooting it now. It was such a joy to draw and pull the trigger on.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I got my first and only compound bow about a year ago - an Elite Hunter. I couldn't do jack with recurves so I visited a local shop by me, tried one off the shelf, had it set up and tuned to me the same day, shot it at the shop's multi-lane indoor range and proceeded to cut X's on every single arrow. It was a REAL pro shop.

I thought that was just normal with a compound! LOL!

I have tried other compound bows since then and I am still amazed and thankful at how smooth, accurate and just totally satisfying my very first compound bow turned out to be smile

Good luck on finding your bow JJ!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
After being dead set on an Elite Hunter three years ago (after shooting about 20 bows), I picked up a G5 Prime Shift and never looked back.

If you are looking around, I would suggest at least shooting a G5 Prime bow, if you can get your hands on one.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Have you shot the 35? I have one and love it.

IC B3

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No, never shot the 35, I suppose I only considered a bow less then 32" because my aluminium
archery cases for Africa would not fit a bigger bow.

Maybe that's backwards! Never contemplated a new case! My SBXT is 32" if I recall so going with another 32 just seemed natural.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Try it, you may like it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot all the new Hoyts the other day at my local shop. Very nice, give them a try and then decide what works best for you.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
You will NOT find a better bow anywhere. Smooth. Fast. Quiet. Dead in the hand. Rock solid back wall. Better quality finish than any bow out there. Tons of color options available at NO extra charge. And unparalleled service. There is no need to call a dealer or rep. Call Obsession. The OWNER of the company is who you will talk to. Get on Facebook and check out Obsession Bows Brotherhood. When someone has an issue or question, Dennis is quick to reply with "Call ME". Nother bow company even comes close to offering that level of service. And the lifetime transferable warranty makes choosing Obsession a no brainer. I work on bows. Done a few Elites for folks. Tons of Mathews. A few Hoyts. Several Bowtechs. So I have experience shooting and tuning them all. Know what they are capable of. There isn't a bow that comes close to Obsession. The Evolution is the first brand new bow I have purchased in about 10 yrs. I shoot it better than any bow I have ever owned.

Custom Strings/Tuning
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
When you trip in the dark on a rock and crack your limb will Obsession replace it free of charge?

HOYT did!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You'd be surprised what Dennis Lewis will do to take care of his customers

Custom Strings/Tuning
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Shot and compared the obsession Phoenix to the Elite energy 32 yesterday.

I shot each one plenty, using my arrows release and chronograph. The spec sheet of each is so close that just reading the data would be no help at all..

In actual practice they draw similar, shoot similar, and feel similar. Probably due in large part because the core design of the cams was done by the same guy( so I was told) The Elite was 4-5 fps faster but it also had an extra little "hump" in the draw. Almost imperceptible. However if blind folded I would be able to tell the difference by draw feel alone. This little hump in the draw is very late in the draw cycle. So in my opinion when it's cold, you have been sitting a long time and your bundled up in clothing it's not going to be a problem. It would be worse if it were at the beginning or early in the draw curve.

Over all, the minimal difference in draw between them is well worth the 4-5fps for this little "hump". The holding weight I unfortunately did not measure, however it was my opinion that the elite was much lower holding weight, and felt like I had a lot of room to creep without the cam roll over yanking my arm out of the socket. This is also a disadvantage to the undisciplined shooter. If your creeping on release you're not going to get consistent shooting. Holding at the wall 100% is consistent. So if you can get lazy and creep without the cam yanking your arm out it is more likely to happen.

There is an advantage to this bigger holding area for spot and stalk and awkward shooting positions. I like it, but the disciplne must be there on your part to shoot consistently.

Finally, the Elite had normal solid one piece limbs. The obsession has split limbs which seem to be the trend of the era we are in now. I have no fact based opinion here, just the visual and my engineering background.

I strongly prefer one piece limbs. It's a lot of alignment and balance in my opinion to have two limbs and two cams on a bow, four limbs just complicates this even further. ....... I know..... I know..... So many split limb bows on the market proven and durable with no complaints. Probably just my OCD issues. I simply prefer the one piece limbs. This design seems better at least in my comfort zone. As we know with archery confidence is a powerful tool in how well we shoot.

I think these are both great bows. I doubt I could kill more game with either one because of the design. The reality is that I like the look of the elite, the solid single limbs, the 4-5 fps higher speed, and the grip feel.
I still think the Switchback XT is a smoother better feeling draw then any bow I've used in my career. It is unfortunately slower then these two by 20 fps at the same draw weight.

For NA hunters that don't really have an energy minimum for the largest species of game there is no need to move up to heavier draw weights. However in Africa there is a move to set minimum energy levels for bigger species. This means finding a smooth draw bow that will get me 70-75 FPE with no less then a 400 grain arrow.

There may be additional minimums when the dust settles, but this 70-75 FPE minimum 400 grain arrow seems to be where the line in the sand is right now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Time will tell for Obsession - the archery market is a tough nut to crack. There have been lots of bow makers come and go and when they go - guys get stuck with bows that can not be repaired. I suppose it comes down to how much risk you are willing to take on an expensive bow. There are a lot of excellent options today, shoot as many as you can and go with what works best for you.

JJ if your looking for a great shooting speed bow, give the Hoyt Spider Turbo a test. I shot one the other day and was surprised to find that it was the speed bow model. My dealer did not have the aluminum version, but it is probably very similar and a few hundred bucks cheaper. I have no plans for Africa and am content killing elk with my 60# 'value' bow.

Last edited by centershot; 10/30/14.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just buy the Elite and be done with it.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If I found one at 65 or 70lb in all black I probably will. With the lifetime guarantee to every owner it's not a big risk.

I've not bought a brand new bow in 20 years. The archery talk classifieds are filled with one season or less of use bows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
703 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 3,033 guests, and 1,415 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.