Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
True!!! They need to get on the ball and start putting out more H4350!!!!!

Powder Valley has H-4350 in stock, $22.45/pound, ready to ship.

DF

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
3rdGen has IMR4350 & several other IMR's in stock for a couple of dollars more. Nothing I noticed for pistols though.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Hodgdon just announced three new extruded IMR powders that are temperature resistant and contain a decoppering agent. The three powders (IMR 4166, 4451 and 7977) are roughly in the IMR4064, IMR4350 and Retumbo burn-rate ranges, and are made in Canada at the plant that makes other IMR powders.

I got to thoroughly test IMR4166 this summer, and it worked as advertised in a bunch of rounds from .204 Ruger to .45-70. Data for all three "Enduron" powders is now up on the Hodgdon website.

Don't know about pricing, but assume it will be in the same range as the other IMR powders.

Key point that was missed in the above is availability date(s). . . "Early 2015 . . . " which is about as generic as it gets. I wouldn't be running to my LGS asking for it the day after New Years.

http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/1413848877yn6a7rhwm83

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Just looking at some 7-08 loads and it looks like 4166 has the same max charge and velocity as Varget...but pressure at max was lower. Could it be the one to replace Varget!? What....there's a target on my back? LOL!

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
It says 4166 will be first and they're saying November '14 here: http://www.lohmanarms.com/product_p/imr41661.htm

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
After reading the posts, here are some other observations. Aside from Pyrodex and some of the other black-powder substitute-type products, Hodgdon doesn't "make" rifle powders.

Instead they contract with other companies to produce them. H4350 and the other Extremes are made in Australia, and there have been some bottlenecks in supply from there, not caused in any way by Hodgdon. Among the bottlenecks is that, due to increased demand, more ships full of powder have been leaving Oz for the U.S. They normally refuel and resupply at Auckland, New Zealand, but the Kiwis got nervous about more than one ship loaded with powder being in their harbor, so ruled that only one powder ship would be allowed at one time. This naturally slows down shipments.

Two, the Australians can only make so much powder, and demand is still well above average. The old law of supply and demand definitely applies, even though many handloaders apparently can't understand such a basic economic principle. That's one reason the price has gone up.

In fact, apparently shooters in general can't understand why there are still "shortages" of rimfire ammo and some loading components. These are the same shooters who, two years after Obama's reelection, are often buying all the rimfire ammo they can find at inflated prices, anytime they can find it, or buying several 8-pound jugs of powder, where they used to buy a couple pounds. Factories can only produce so much, and they are NOT going to increase their capacity 10 times just to satisfy the panicky desires of shooters in the U.S., who may suddenly decide after next month's election there's no need to hoard .22 shells or powder anymore, or may finally fill their garages so full there's no more room for either.

I suspect (but don't know) that among the reasons for Hodgdon contracting with the factory in Canada for the Enduron powders is that shipping powder from Canada to Kansas is much easier (and cheaper) than shipping powder from Australia. The ability to make temperature-resistant powders isn't unique to Oz, and if Hodgdon can supply other powders that do the same things (actually more, with the decoppering agent) without the hassles and expenses of overseas importing, why wouldn't they?

I also suspect the reason IMR4451 isn't called some version of 4350 (HMR4350, or 4350.2?) is that there are already THREE versions of 4350 on the market. But 4451 fills basically the same niche, and may be the best version of all.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nah, it's really a government conspiracy.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
So how much is there to the "decoppering" agent claims, John? Marketing or truth? I haven't played with the others that have it to know myself, yet.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Decoppering agents have been around for a long time, but not in many handloading powders. They're really pretty simple, a slight amount of some soft metal that combines with the copper, making it brittle, whereupon most of the copper's blown out of the bore with the next round.

The oldest decoppering agent is lead. It doesn't even have to be combined with the powder; artillery shells often had a coil or piece of lead foil placed on top of the powder charge, under the projectile. (As you might imagine, it's a PITA to clean copper-fouling out of a cannon barrel.)

But decoppering agents have been in a lot of military small-arms powders for years, mostly due to automatic rifles, and when those same powders are sold to handloaders they work well. Ramshot TAC, for instance, is a Belgian powder originally designed for NATO military rounds, the reason it contains a decoppering agent and the other Ramshot rifle powders don't, even though they're made by the same factory and use the rest of the same basic technology. Some of the older ball powders sold by Hodgdon also have long had decoppering agents.

These days lead pollution is unpopular, of course, so other decoppering agents are used. Bismuth is a good one, for instance.

I tested the decoppering of IMR4166 by shooting my Thompson/Center Icon .223 for 100 rounds without cleaning, while making other tests with the powder. The Icon's barrel doesn't foul a lot, but it does end up with enough copper inside after 100 rounds to show up plainly in a bore-scope, and to turn a solvent-soaked patch a definite blue. After cleaning out the slight amount of powder fouling with some alcohol-soaked patches, there was only a hint of any copper in a few places inside the bore, and a patch soaked in Montana X-Treme Copper Killer showed only a very faint hint of blue.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Great info, John. Thanks!

IC B3

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Looking at 7977 for my 270. A 150 bullet cruising at 2940fps out of the lowly (aka "gay") 270 is nothing to sneeze at.

JB, you wouldn't be scheduled to do a magazine article on the new powders by chance?

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
I got acquainted with IMR4166 while doing an article for the upcoming Hodgdon Annual Manual.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mule Deer,

Thanks for the updates, and the updates to the updates.

The oldest decoppering agent is lead.

Whatdoyaknow, thought it was tin.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the update. I understand now why I saw IMR4350 on shelves before H4350.

Hodgdon has their online "Reloading Data Center" updated with the new powders. Performance with IMR 4451 and 180s in the 30-06 appears to be similar to H4350 and IMR4350, for velocity. They say 55.5 grains should give about 2750 fps out of a 24-inch barrel, at under 60K PSI (SAAMI standard). Not that I would load above a manufacturer's recommendation for the old war horse...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, why the heck is Australia our powder stash? Law? Raw materials? Labor? Fosters lager?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hatari
Dang, now I have new numbers to remember.

And dang, I just bought two 8lb jugs of H4831.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
JB, Any hints as to whether the 4451 is a good candidate for the 338-06? No load data with hodgdon, but H4350 has shown to be quite good for 210-225gn bullets. I've found that powders, even of very similar burn rate, as shown in charts, can have quite different results in actual application.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
My guess is 4451 probably would be very good in the .338-06. As you note, it's sometimes hard to tell exactly what will happen even when powders supposedly have similar burn rates, but single-based extruded powders like the Enduron line tend to perform most predictably.

John Steinbeck
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out, and if I find some I'll give it a go with 225 Partitions. I have a few hundred of those I need to find a use for.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just wished the ship with the Trail Boss would get here. grin

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

495 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 1,950 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,216
Posts18,447,378
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.