Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by Dooger
I'm buying something w/o the J-lock. Do I need to buy the entire firing pin assembly or just a shroud/bolt plug?

What's the difference between the fluted firing pin assembly and non-fluted?

It's going on a LVSF 17 Remington.

Thanks

Buy the firing pin assembly from Pierce Engineering and never look back.

http://www.pierceengineeringltd.com/category/accessories/product/pierceision-firing-pin-assembly

It comes with the very handy tool. Just use the Remington bolt shroud. You pull out the Remington bolt and replace with the Pierce assembly and go shoot. I've shot over thousand rounds with my Pierce assembly without a hitch.

Thinking you are not saying what you are meaning. The Remington bolt shroud is NOT reused.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by MikeL2
I replaced my j lock with a PTG speedlock assembly. Easy swap.

+1 ... Just did the same for a rifle that was having a problem with light primer strikes. $70 and 5 minutes, problem solved.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...s-long-action-gloss?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I'm a big fan of those aluminum shaft replacements....

[Linked Image]

I'm a big fan of those

First one I've purchased. Fixed the light primer strike issue. I'm gonna run mine till it stops or I stop... grin

D
Dooger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I'm buying something w/o the J-lock. Do I need to buy the entire firing pin assembly or just a shroud/bolt plug?

Thanks

http://www.pierceengineeringltd.com/category/accessories/product/pierceision-firing-pin-assembly

It comes with the very handy tool. Just use the Remington bolt shroud. You pull out the Remington bolt and replace with the Pierce assembly and go shoot. I've shot over thousand rounds with my Pierce assembly without a hitch.

Thinking you are not saying what you are meaning. The Remington bolt shroud is NOT reused.

I knew what I was saying. I was originally hoping I could just buy the shroud to replace the J-lock shroud. I ended get a complete bolt assembly from Gre-Tan.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Thanks

So what should I call it? Just the bolt? Is the firing pin assembly just the guts in the bolt?

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks. I ended up with a Gre-Tan fluted bolt assembly in Silver.

Good buy. The fluted firing pin is steel......NOT aluminum.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
My Callahan works as well as my GreTan and seems to produce slightly faster lock time.....

Two of the three Callahans I've installed on M700's have either galled on the cocking ramp or created a bodacious notch in the trigger. Some judicious filing and polishing fixed the galling issue, no amount of adjusting or swapping known triggers fixed the notch issue. That rifle has a Pierce FP assembly now........

Gre-Tan and Pierce are excellent. Have no experience with the PT&G yet.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Dooger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D

Thanks

So what should I call it? Just the bolt? Is the firing pin assembly just the guts in the bolt?

Sorry, I bought the complete firing pin assembly, my typo. Yes, it's just the guts in the bolt. It's the rear shroud, firing pin, spring, etc. It's sold as one unit for $65. The old one unscrews, the new one screws in. Just put a little grease on the threads. On all my new 700's, I take the firing pin assembly out and clean it really good before firing the first round. If you've never done that, you'd be surprised how nasty they're packed. I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner, a rag and a tooth brush.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Do the new 700's (2014 production) have the j-lock

D
Dooger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by KH1473
Do the new 700's (2014 production) have the j-lock

No, haven't seen any in a while. The J-lock I replaced was a gun made before 2009.

D
Dooger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Sorry, I bought the complete firing pin assembly, my typo. Yes, it's just the guts in the bolt. It's the rear shroud, firing pin, spring, etc. It's sold as one unit for $65. The old one unscrews, the new one screws in. Just put a little grease on the threads. On all my new 700's, I take the firing pin assembly out and clean it really good before firing the first round. If you've never done that, you'd be surprised how nasty they're packed. I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner, a rag and a tooth brush.

No problem that's what I did. Works great. I clean the firing pin assembly every time I clean the rifle. I do that with my 1911's too.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
My Callahan works as well as my GreTan and seems to produce slightly faster lock time.....

Two of the three Callahans I've installed on M700's have either galled on the cocking ramp or created a bodacious notch in the trigger. Some judicious filing and polishing fixed the galling issue, no amount of adjusting or swapping known triggers fixed the notch issue. That rifle has a Pierce FP assembly now........

Gre-Tan and Pierce are excellent. Have no experience with the PT&G yet.

Casey

Interesting, never seen or heard of this. Maybe I will disassemble mine and check it out....

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Isn't the Callahan made by PT&G?

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I got my son a Remington LSVF and the bolt has that J-lock crap. I am wanting to change out this with a replacement. Someone mention some are made of steel and some are aluminum? I presume steel would be better? If so which company offers the steel replacement?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Since your rifle is a short action Gre-Tan is offering everything you need for $31 + shipping to fix your J-lock issues.

Where can I buy for this price?

http://www.gretanrifles.com/products/details.jsf

I bought one for a J lock replacement. Easy peasy and better than OEM.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a rifle built on a new 700 action that had very inconsistant trigger pull weight. Sent the factory trigger off to be tuned, same problem. Bought a Timney, same problem. Put in a fluted steel Gre'tan firing pin assembly, all fixed!!!! YEAH!!!!!

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I just got the Gre-Tan fluted F/P assemble. Going to install on the rifle tomorrow. Was wondering if we are supposed to grease the F/P assembly prior to installing? And how do you remove the F/P?

D
Dooger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
GreTan just posted a vid about grease on YouTube.

D
Dooger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I think this is it, didn't watch it to be sure:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LYWy25irFKs

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Dooger,

I saw the vid you posted. Was wondering if there is another substitute for the Loktite Heavy-Duty Anti-Seize Greg listed. And where do you use this grease on it.

And I got the F/P out and I saw on the 'net where I can put the Gre-Tan one in by screwing in and then insert the dime to finish screwing in. So this is all done now and am waiting to see what other substitute grease I can use. Hate to have to go buy/order the one Greg is using if I can use other sub I have on hand.

Last edited by valad; 11/15/14.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

589 members (257 mag, 270cowboy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 66 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,967
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.