Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
I have an older Vanguard .308 that a friend gave me because it wouldn't group worth crap. When he bought it, I bedded it for him and it shot great with almost anything. He owned it for about 10 years and one year he brought it to me and said it wouldnt shoot. We swapped scopes, tried all manner of loads and still it shot 3+ inches at best.

He was fond of driving around with the rifle barrel resting on the floor of the truck, and the crown didnt look great. I recrowned it and then it sat for a couple years. I threw a scope on it today and grabbed some 180gr Federal factory loads I had sitting around. Shot it at 50 yards just to see how it did. Still shoots all over, 2+ inches at 50 yards. Bedding looks good, everything fits snug and the screws tighten up quickly. Mag box isn't binding. Don't know what else to try. Is one of these actions worth rebarreling?

BP-B6

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
One of those 50 yard shooters huh...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What are you torquing the action screws at

Try torquing them to 55 inch pounds

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is the barrel floated?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Yep, barrel is floated

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Did you put new rings and mounts on it? Are you sure they are tight? Are you sure the scope is good? If all that and the bedding and crown are good try different ammo and pressure points on the barrel. I know that the 308 isn't a barrel burner but did he shoot it a lot or drag a cleaning rod through it a bunch?

As far as I know the Vanguards are Howa actions, a lot of people rebarrel them.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have you cleaned the bore lately?

When I say lately I mean like in the last 15 years

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I bet that's the problem

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Shodd

Shod

1+

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I don't know anything specificaly about the Vangaurd,but with such poor accuracy I am also thinking that it may be an issue with your scope,or mounts.Have you tried it from 100 yards with the current scope?.If it's just an old spare take off scope with out adjustable objective it may actualy tighten up a little at 100 yards.Are you shooting store bought ammo?.If it was mine,and I couldn't get it to improve I would just keep it for a truck gun like the guy you got it from.I know people rebarrel them,but unless you can do all the work yourself,and enjoy it as a hobbie I don't think it would be worth the expence,or your time.

IC B3

X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by Shodd

Shod

Yep barrel was cleaned before I started shooting. Bases and rings are new and tight. The scope is older and been used on several guns before and has always been reliable.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The vanguards are known to be very accurate could that barrel be copper fouled ?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The 180 grain projectile may be a bit long with a 308 depending on your twist rate. What do the groups look like at 100 and 200 yards? Are you sure the bullet is stabilizing?

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
clean it with a strong copper cleaner if you haven't already.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As all of you are pointing out, it could be lots of things and it is hard to pinpoint the issue without having the rifle on the table to do a complete autopsy. That said, I will just put in another word for barrel cleaning. All I want to say is there is cleaning and there is cleaning. I had a Rem 700 that would not group. My friend who is much more experienced than I am with rifles asked if i cleaned the barrel. I said I had. He said give it to me. He worked on the barrel for hours-copper solvents, brushes, bore shine, not sure what he all used. He gave it back to me and I immediately recognized than my idea of clean was not clean! After he did his cleaning it shot almost everything in an inch or less. I learned a big lesson on cleaning a barrel.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My thought when I read this last night was "copper fouled". I bought a 30-06 from some bubbas a while back for a song. I knew they were selling it cheap because it wouldn't group. I cleaned that barrel with Hoppe's copper cleaner for two weeks and it's now one of my most accurate rifles.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by cotis
My thought when I read this last night was "copper fouled". I bought a 30-06 from some bubbas a while back for a song. I knew they were selling it cheap because it wouldn't group. I cleaned that barrel with Hoppe's copper cleaner for two weeks and it's now one of my most accurate rifles.

X2
I've had the same thing happen. A barrel can look clean, just looking down the bore, after regular cleaning with a quick patch and brush cleaning, but still be copper fouled.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
When I was young I had that problem with a Ruger #1 in .22-250. I had been cleaning it with gun oil only and after a time accuracy went south. Finally I got some copper solvent and was shocked at how I had neglected the barrel. It took two day to get the copper out, but accuracy came back to its original quality.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did the previous owner cook the barrel?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I've had the same thing happen. A barrel can look clean, just looking down the bore, after regular cleaning with a quick patch and brush cleaning, but still be copper fouled.

Yep. Barnes CR-10 Copper Bore Solvent will likely prove how buggered it really is.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,837 guests, and 1,425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.