Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Anybody load for one? How are they for deer? Any other hot rounds for a short action that's capable of killing a deer. Twist to shoot the longer, heavier bullets. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 10/21/14.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
While I don't know if you'd consider them hot enough, the ,22-250 and .223 (ai or standard) are both plenty capable for whitetails. Provided you have a twist rate to stabilize the proper loads, say at least 1-9 in the .223 or 1-12 for the .22-250.
While the Barnes TSX's are undeniably effective my preference is the Nosler 60 grain partition but I'm looking to try the 64 grain Winchester power points so far they seem promising in my .223, accurate and having a reputation for good performance on deer.

G
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
G
We have had great performance with the Hornady 60 gr soft point out of our AR's and a couple bolt guns chambered in 223 with a little Varget.

G
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
G
We have had great performance with the Hornady 60 gr soft point out of our AR's and a couple bolt guns chambered in 223 with a little Varget.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
we shot two last year with the 53 gr tsx in the 22-250 with a 10" twist.no complaints.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I got a .224 TTH before last hunting season, but due to a knee injury didn't get to use it on big game last fall. But based on experience with the .22-250 and .220 Swift, I'm guessing the 40-grain Cutting Edge Raptor at 4400 fps and the 60-grain Nosler Partition at 3700 will do the job well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have not used it but one gunsmith I know built the first one with the TTH moniker and several others. It is his personal go to deer rifle for non trophy hunts. He said it is just a fun cartridge to use. The typical, Hammer of Thor, Lazer Beam, Gazorper of deer and DRT expressions have been used many times for this round.

He and his buddies liked the 70gr. bullets esp. the A-Max. Be leery of any published loads for the TTH as some are really hot. More conservative data can be found under the 22x6mmAI name. I would get it twisted for up to 90gr. bullets just to have more range to play with. But a 7 twist will explode most varmint bullets.

As a deer/antelope hunting round I think it would be great. For varmints I think it should be a special use round or you should buy barrels at least two at a time.

I look forward to JB's reports.

Correction: It is the 75gr. A-Max in a 1-8 twist and the TTH is the plain 22x6mm not the AI version.

Last edited by Tejano; 10/22/14.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You can also use handloading data for the .223 WSSM, as powder capacity is just about identical. In fact my .223 WSSM and .224 TTH get almost exactly the same velocity with the same powder charges and bullets, considering the 2-inch difference in barrel length.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by powdr
Anybody load for one? How are they for deer? Any other hot rounds for a short action that's capable of killing a deer. Twist to shoot the longer, heavier bullets. powdr

I'd go 22-250 long before I went with any cartridge named after Texass.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
You better get your ass back to work before your boss brings you a pink slip and tells you to GFY. powdr

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd need a job before I could get fired.

22-250 and 8" twist.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by powdr

I'd go 22-250 long before I went with any cartridge named after Texass.
Travis

ummmm....
texas turd hammer? laugh

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hornaday manual #7 has data. Also about the same as the 22 Cheetah and close to the 224 Clark. Still kicking around building one then the 250AI with a 7 or 8 twist has it's appeal as well as the 5.6x57mm.

Not sure if the metric version comes with a standard neck though. The original had a thick neck to shoot inserts for 22 hornet and rim-fire adapters.

Those Montana guys must have small state syndrome. Yah & Minnesota too.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It's not that Montana is small, it's just so much better than Texas.

The TTH is named appropriately as nobody likes to complicate things as much as a Texan.

Love,
Travis

PS- I am not a gunwriter. But I did drink some of John Barsness' beer once.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
�Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.�

--John Steinbeck, from Travels With Charley, his book about a long road trip around the U.S. with his dog Charley as his companion

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I for one like Texas...and most Texans. Not as much as Montana, obviously. I did however learn while I was there that Im the ONLY one who didn't kill a 400 pound hog....seems all the natives get them all the time, and I was the ONLY one whose Axis didn't weight 250 pounds.
Saw a Raghorn bull elk mounted in the LGS there. The proprietor had killed it in New Mexico the year before, and was able to pack out 800 pounds of meat from it.
Sooo I learned why everything is bigger in Texas. Because the Texans say it is! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[quote=Mule Deer]�Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.�

True that, lived in both states and sure miss Montana. Like Capstick I hope I always will be a small boy.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ingwe
I for one like Texas...and most Texans. Not as much as Montana, obviously. I did however learn while I was there that Im the ONLY one who didn't kill a 400 pound hog....seems all the natives get them all the time, and I was the ONLY one whose Axis didn't weight 250 pounds.
Saw a Raghorn bull elk mounted in the LGS there. The proprietor had killed it in New Mexico the year before, and was able to pack out 800 pounds of meat from it.
Sooo I learned why everything is bigger in Texas. Because the Texans say it is! grin

Texas is fun. To visit.

Travis

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by deflave
It's not that Montana is small, it's just so much better than Texas.

Yep!

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
You guys are welcome to visit Texas anytime you want. Just be sure and take Travis with you when you leave. We have a reputation to uphold and any stay longer than a few days by him would taint our reputation and put it in serious jeopardy. powdr

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
441 members (160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 300jimmy, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 48 invisible), 2,161 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.