Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by oregontripper
It's time for a rcamuglia/Formidilosus unknown distance shootout! Kidding...

So - if there's an 18" (horns not body) antelope at an unknown range, but out like 600-700 meters, no LRF handy. A guy is better off mils, moa, FFP, or SFP?

None of it matters. In that situation you're going to miss. A lot.

Both MOA and mils work. Just that people pick up how to run it with mils faster and easier. Probably because they aren't trying to constantly equate everything to inches.

Both work. Both are effective, one is just about 50 times more common and has the benefit of being broken down into tenths which our brain prefers.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks. Can you recommend some kind of 'primer' type info on using a mil/mil setup, hunting related preferably?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
As long as you have your drop chart in mils, reticle in mils, and turret in mils, life is good, and simple. Same-same for MOA.

Lase, dial, shoot.

The reticle is just a different 'ruler' to measure corrections that can either be applied to the turrets, or held via reticle holdoff, without the need to convert any units of measure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
As long as you have your drop chart in mils, reticle in mils, and turret in mils, life is good, and simple. Same-same for MOA.

Lase, dial, shoot.

The reticle is just a different 'ruler' to measure corrections that can either be applied to the turrets, or held via reticle holdoff, without the need to convert any units of measure.

Shane,

Sort of.

Some of us use the reticle for in field measurements.

The outside (or inside) spread of a buck or bulls rack is measured in inches and MOA works better for that.

Holding in 1/2 MOA increments is as close as possible for most of us on a wind hold and is easier than 1/10 mil holds.

Both can work but MOA is better for a hunting optic, at least in my opinion. I like to lay inches down at yards and MOA does a good job in that realm.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by Reloder28

1 Moa = 1" @ 100 yds
have we already beat that horse?

You might have already beat it.........but MOA is not the same as IPHY. this topic is flawed from the start. frown

And if you want to get really picky, for a fixed horizontal distance, the second vertical increment to produce the second MOA of deflection is bigger than the first, the third increment bigger than the second, and so on.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I can see where moa would be faster for calculating inches of antler spread.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Why not do centimeters of antler spread, however many meters away? grin

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yes, or decimeters. We'd all be Euro cool.

Went to a welding shop and asked to have a metal frame made, 20x50cm... They said, "we don't got no centimeters here." May have been Wyoming, or more likely SE Oregon....

Last edited by oregontripper; 10/21/14.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
You guys have all been very helpful with my barrage of questions. It's not easy to make an intelligent decision if you lack the intelligence.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by boatanchor
.........but MOA is not the same as IPHY. this topic is flawed from the start. frown

Ok, what is IPHY?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Inch per hundred yards.

1 MOA = 1.047" at 100 yards

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Reloder28
You guys have all been very helpful with my barrage of questions. It's not easy to make an intelligent decision if you lack the intelligence.

Let me help you a smidge if I may.

It doesn't matter which you pick.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by oregontripper
Thanks. Can you recommend some kind of 'primer' type info on using a mil/mil setup, hunting related preferably?

Check out the optics forum....

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks. I see the light! LOL

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the best resources on the web for all the sight units is found at What's MOA. Mils and other units are included down the page along with videos from the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

Here's an excerpt:

In practical terms the radius is the distance from the gun to the target and a change of 1 milliradian (MRad) changes the impact point of a bullet by 1/1,000 the distance to the target. If the target is 1,000 feet away a change of 1 MRad changes the impact point of a bullet by 1 foot. If the target is 1,000 yards away a change of 1 MRad changes the impact point of a bullet by 1 yard. If the target is 1,000 meters away a change of 1 MRad changes the impact point of a bullet by 1 meter. If the target is 500 meters away a change of 1 MRad changes the impact point of a bullet by 1/2 meter. The exact 1 to 1,000 ratio between impact change and range to the target in whatever units you use for range makes doing the math in your head relatively simple.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Lase, dial, shoot.

Shane,

Sort of.

Some of us use the reticle for in field measurements.

The outside (or inside) spread of a buck or bulls rack is measured in inches and MOA works better for that.

Holding in 1/2 MOA increments is as close as possible for most of us on a wind hold and is easier than 1/10 mil holds.

Both can work but MOA is better for a hunting optic, at least in my opinion. I like to lay inches down at yards and MOA does a good job in that realm.

MILLS works just as well, your 1/3 MOA is very close to .3 MILLS. I use .3 MILLS as approximately 1 inch per hundred yards. .3 MILLS is actually 1.074 inches @ 100 yards.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
When in doubt, [bleep] the metric system.

Mils are for soccer fans

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
[bleep]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by oregontripper; 10/23/14.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Soccer looks nice.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.