Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Teeder Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking for a better way to store my hunting clothes. Thinking a tote of some kind with scent removal inside. What are you guys and gals using?

Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought several duffel bags, some are the heavy duty but rather inexpensive cabelas brand.

I like these because they are packed along with me to the point I leave my vehicle. Then I put the clothes on. When I return the clothes go back in.

Not exactly airtight tupperware but it keeps everything together and prevents the smells of the car/truck/ATV, etc to and from the hunting place.

I have a overalls made by Cabelas MT050 or something like that. They have been stored ( always dry first) in a dedicated duffle since I've owned them. They can be stuffed into small places for transport this way, or even carried in the bed of the pickup this way if needed.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought one of the big worksite plastic workboxes with wheels on it on sale at one of the big box stores. I think I got it for about $50.

Everything gets washed in all-natural, fragrance-free soap and/or baking soda. From there, it's line dried outside. Once dry, it goes into that box with one of the HS Specialties solid scent wafers in "Fresh Earth". This includes daypacks, sleeping bags, and anything else that goes hunting with me that is made of cloth or similar.

The box seals very securely, provides plenty of space, and works great.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Teeder Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, Guys. I've been using scent free garbage bags with the Fresh Earth wafers for years now always wanted something better. I like the idea of packing the bags easily, but leaning towards some kind of big box, or multiple stackable boxes. My son is archery hunting more seriously now, so it's not just my stuff anymore.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use the Rubbermaid "roughneck" tubs. I wash my cloths in baking soda, and store them in the tubs with a couple cedar blocks, for a natural, "earthy" cover scent.

This system has proven itself to work for me for over a decade. Don't waste you $$ on a lot of scent control stuff.. It's mostly designed to separate a fool from his money.

Last edited by MarkG; 10/22/14.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I also use totes with the earth wafers. I keep them separated by season/weight, or species (deer vs ducks) in large vac seal bags in the offseason. I found bags that fit inside totes when vac'd so they fit nearly on garage shelves.

Teeder Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Big zip lock bags in camping section, earth wafers and a box of dollar store baking soda in plastic tubs for storage. Spray down after hunting, clothes stay on the back porch during season. So far haven't been winded. Not sure if the neighbors appreciate me walking out in my tighty whiteys but the cops haven't came yet. Wind has been awful this year will not hold still, blowing every direction, so far so good. Women of the house are not allowed in the truck during archery or calling season. Box of baking soda under the front seat with holes poked in it. Seats get the farts sprayed out a few times a week Going to try the compression bags for storing blankets this year after season.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hang mine in a closet, sometimes they get moved in the off season. I found them ontop of the upright freezer before opener this year. they are just clothes, not sure why folks make such a big deal about it.

I never understood the guys who say to "double bag it in leaves and grass, vacuum seal and put into a rubbermaid tote. keep it in the dark and then hang in the back trees a week before season."

I usually wear my work clothes under a coverall, sometimes I have even gotten sweaty walking in to my stand. I probably am the least worried about the scent on me of all. wind, stand placement and concealment are key. if the wind aint blowing at em, all that scent protection stuff is pointless. works for where I live, might not for everyone though.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Teeder Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I can't count on the wind staying put that well and often times there aren't enough stand placement options at the places I want to hunt.
I've seen a lot more deer up-close since keeping my hunting clothes as scent free as possible. YMMV

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
for now mine are in 2 sterilite containers i bought at dollar general

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,648
Posts18,455,427
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.