Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Selling my hi-power for a glock was the dumbest think I have ever done regarding guns. I thought the glock was better for comp shooting because magazines were cheaper to get and held more ammo.
Do a trigger job on a Hi Power and install Spegel grips and you'll see what a magnificent gun the Hi Power really is.

Yup. A properly set up BHP is an awesome shooting machine. This one was tuned by Don Williams and wears Spegel Delrins.
Bob

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I always figured if I absolutely had to have a 9MM it would be a Browning Hi Power or nothing and this thread has prove to me I'm right. I also watched Hickok45 shoot a Browning and it almost made me want one.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Ok this thread has me thinking again because I can carry pretty much anything I want off duty. Will a hi-power take a beating with +p loads?

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

FreeMe Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Ok this thread has me thinking again because I can carry pretty much anything I want off duty. Will a hi-power take a beating with +p loads?

The late Stephen Camp says +p is okay - with reservations.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/BHPandHighPressureAmmo.htm

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure how i missed this. Here is mine. Its a lightly modded MKIII Browning. Bobbed hammer, trigger and action work, magazine disconnect removed, VZ grips and XS sights.

Eventually I will get the safety swapped to a bit wider paddle, get front and back straps stippled them probably have it sandblasted and coated.

Also for some reason the Mecgar 15rd mags won't drop out but the factory 10rd's do. Any advice is appreciated.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
[Linked Image]

Figured I would ad my HP to the collection. 1980 production wife bought me for my birthday in kinda sad shape. I polished the frame out and had a bud of mine, who happens to be a ACGG master level engraver, do a crosshatch pattern with rasp teeth and light scroll on the front and backstraps. Fitted a set of Herrett's full checkered cocabolo grips and ditched the mag safety. Did a trigger job using a C&S sear and ring hammer with the factory springs. Fit a C&S extended strong side safety with about half the paddle trimmed off, much better than factory but not obtrusive.
The top end had some small pits from what looked like fabric sticking to the slide that were deeper than the lettering, so I decided to just blast the top and leave it matte. I did cut a set of plain black Novaks in before the blue tanks though. Factory barrel shoots fine so it stayed.
It rides in a Diamond D Tanker for outdoors use or a strong side IWB from the same outfit for social occasions.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Though next year I plan to do a significant downsizing of my toys I will likely get a proper Hi-Power. Something I have come close to buying at least 20 times over the years.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Also for some reason the Mecgar 15rd mags won't drop out but the factory 10rd's do. Any advice is appreciated

I've found that removing the magazine disconnector will allow the MecGar 15 rounders to drop free, at least in the MKIII I'm most familiar with.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264

I've found that removing the magazine disconnector will allow the MecGar 15 rounders to drop free, at least in the MKIII I'm most familiar with.

Mine has the magazine safety removed and I've confirmed the hammer will drop with no magazine in the gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Not sure how i missed this. Here is mine. Its a lightly modded MKIII Browning. Bobbed hammer, trigger and action work, magazine disconnect removed, VZ grips and XS sights.

Eventually I will get the safety swapped to a bit wider paddle, get front and back straps stippled them probably have it sandblasted and coated.

Also for some reason the Mecgar 15rd mags won't drop out but the factory 10rd's do. Any advice is appreciated.

[Linked Image]
Mec Gar OEM's Browning Hi Power mags, so those are factory mags.

I see the pin for the mag safety is missing, so it's not the magazine safety.

Grip makers will sometimes cut their inlets too deep and the inlet part of the grip panel may be bearing against the magazine. Try loosening the grip panels and then see if the drop free. If they do, ten you just need to take a sanding block to the inlet portion of the grip panel and lower it a bit until they drop free with the grip screws tight. Let me know how it goes.

Last edited by GunGeek; 06/18/14.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Obliged Kevin. I still love and even prefer my 1911's but have quickly remebered why I should have never sold my last HP. I have this one about perfect just a few tweaks and it will be time to wear it out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
FreeMe Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Magfan - those grips are gorgeous! What are they? I somehow missed seeing this when it was fresh.

Was just revisiting this thread after finally ditching the mag disconnect on my FM. ~2.5 lbs lighter in the trigger now, down to 6 lbs. Not bad, for no real gunsmithing.

Still on the hunt for a nice set of grips.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They're Craig Spegal's in Cocobolo. They stock them at Heirloom Precision and I let Ted pick them out. He did good.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
FreeMe Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks!

Oh wait! That explains the rest of the gun. Very nice!

Last edited by FreeMe; 10/23/14.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image]
Was trying to sell this for awhile, but now glad I kept it!

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here's a couple more BHPs. Great pistolas.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 73 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,163
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.