Hop To
#9276991 10/22/14
R
rosco1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
A few weeks ago was my first attempt at canning, so this probly isnt any news to most of you.

I had half a deer from last year,4 of this years spring turkeys from several mid-western states, that i've hauled around the country with me till i got home in september,and part of a pronghorn from this year.

The turkey and pronghorn turned out awesome, and stood all on their own with no bullion or anything.

The deer I tried plain with nothing but water added, AU-JU (french dip mix), beef bullion,and tomato juice samples. It was edible but not all that good..Till i tried one of the four bottles that i filled with tomato juice and a teaspoon of beef bullion, holy chit it was good..all of my deer will be going in tomato juice from now on.

I browned the meat, i've read that you dont need to but it really wasnt a big deal.

So if you havnt tried pressuring deer meat with tomato juice, i highly recommend you give it a try.

Bottles from my first attempt (still had a batch on the stove when i took this)..Great way to clear out the freezer of last years leftover meat, IMO.

[Linked Image]

I have Eileen's "sausage season", but after reading it i just dont know that i'm that committed! Frikken sasage making is akin to rocket science to this cooking knuckle dragger..That and my first attempt was an epic fail, kitchen aids "stuffer" is a joke.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
we just add salt to meat and can. its not fancy but gives usage options. canned deer or beef was my mothers tv dinner. opened fried or made with gravy and noodles... you can make a meal out of nothing in minutes.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
interesting

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Canning is the way to go.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Canning is the way to go.

Travis

Amen,,, Have a friend over in Coos Bay who's mom goes down to the dock and buys fresh Tuna from the fishing boats and cans it.
I've had a hard time eating store bought every since she gave me my first jar.
Her canned Bear meat is pretty good too, and that's from someone who isn't crazy about eating Bear.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It's a miracle. Literally.

And once you get past the fugging around stage, it's about the most efficient and fast method you can use to get your venison put up.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I just did 7qts a week ago from an archery buck, 6 sealed-one didn't. That was dinner the next night!

I just got the canner last year, did a fair amount and it turned out great. I'll probably do another 6-12 qts this year yet.

Oh.......I put nothing in with it, just trimmed & cubed venison.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have about 5 gallons of moose sitting in a bucket to be turned into chili verde and plain canned moose 50:50 on Thursday. Will be going into retort bags instead of jars though.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have always used beef bouillion but will try some tomato juice next time around. My browned ground venison for easy chili and tacos has worked great. Some I seasoned, some I didn't. My wife's canned meatballs in tomato sauce have been my favorite probably though it is all good.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 53 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.