Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by super T
I liked to read Milek too. He also wrote a lot about the .243 Win as well. And, at a time when many other writes turned their nose up at the .243.

To be fair, 6mm bullets have improved a lot. If those writers who didn't like it back when, were reviewing the 243 Winchester today, they may be impressed with it.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I was a Bob Milek fan back when also.
Years ago I was driving through Thermopolis Wy and ahead of me was a familiar silhouette with hat in a small pickup just ahead of me. It pulled into a driveway a mile or two north of town.
The next time I drove by there I saw a name on the mailbox... "Milek".

Last edited by WYcoyote; 10/24/14.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by wyoming260
I read every word Bob Milek wrote when I was a kid in the 80s, I lived in Pa. and dreamed of seeing what Bob seen on his hunts..... I now lived just over the Bighorns from the area Bob did and am happy !!!!
That being said I hunt elk with a 7x57 because of people like Finn AAgard and JB.........

Interesting comment about Aagard. He didn't have much published in Oz at the time but I bought his book about 20 years back and in it he stated, that he had witness the largest number of one shot kills in Africa from the .270 Winchester.

After writing so much about the 7x57 when he got his cherished BRNO imported from Kenya, he reamed it out to .280. That did puzzle me until I started doing that myself "Just to see" what the next in line would do.

I never liked Milek's stories on the .30/06 as he always listed handloading data akin to indoor mouse safari loads, until I started using a .30/06 to cull and realized he was completely correct. It simply didn't matter whether that 180 grain bullet was doing 2625fps in a pathetic factory load or 2800fps in a manicured handload, the damn things still fell over dead.

At that point, I started digesting what I was seeing more objectively and started to notice that caliber "seemed" to play a larger role in performance moreso than velocity in "some cases".

Now I can quite fairly contradict myself here, as I also saw velocity make a larger difference that caliber in "some cases" and to quote one, I saw more dramatic performance from the .257 Weatherby than I did from the .270 Winchester. I saw the same performance from the 6.5x55 Swede compared to the .270.

In reality to the masses, everything works, which makes the rifle more important that the cartridge and the bullet more relevant to the game being hunted.

The .270 worked for Aagard for the same reason the .25/06 worked for Milek, Shootability. If it is more pleasant to use, the average hunter can place the bullet more accurately because concentration is not taxed by recoil and muzzle blast. This makes standard bullet perform as well as they did before the premiums came along with the vengeance we have experienced over the last 25 years. Lucky us!

Therein, lies the secret that most try not to discover as competence and reliability is apparently, just too boring.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

At that point, I started digesting what I was seeing more objectively and started to notice that caliber "seemed" to play a larger role in performance moreso than velocity in "some cases".

Now I can quite fairly contradict myself here, as I also saw velocity make a larger difference that caliber in "some cases" and to quote one, I saw more dramatic performance from the .257 Weatherby than I did from the .270 Winchester. I saw the same performance from the 6.5x55 Swede compared to the .270.

Could be wrong, but seems I remember a quote from Mule Deer a few years back where he said, in his experience, the 257 Wby had an unusual propensity to make dramatic kills on game relative to the size of bullet it shoots.

Is this correct JB? If not, my apologies.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It was something like that, anyway!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Something that struck me 'funny' when reading Milek as a lad is also something JB mentioned in print before. Milek would write about efficiency, to which I would snicker at.

It took awhile, but I understand exactly what he meant and he was spot on.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The 25/06 is mostly what I use on deer, although I like my 308 also, but favour my 25/06.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
John Wooters was the 243 guy of his day. IIRC, he favored the 105 gr Nosler Partition for deer with it, and Tx deer are often very small critters. Ditto Fla, and Ark. 80 lbs being a big buck.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
a friend of mine had taken nearly 20 deer, with 308, 06, all fell to the shot. so he poopooed this stuff about needing lots of power, etc. Then he hit an 80 lb Ark buck from the front quarter, using 165 gr sp's at 2900+ fps in his O6. It ran off, no blood trail, no hair. It was nearly dusk, he ran for help. 4 of them, using flashlights, took half an hour to find lung blood, 40 yds away and almost as long to actually find the buck, another 40 yds away. It had a broken shoulder and a severed aorta.

Jim Carmichael hit a deer twice, with 338 sp's, broke both shoulders, x crossed the chest with the wound channels, and it still ran quite a ways.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I saw a guy cut himself badly on the eyebrow with the scope, while firing prone with a Remington 788 243 and factory ammo. It's not recoilless, guys.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Your're right.A dipshitt proof rifle hasnt been invented yet..

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by squesh
I saw a guy cut himself badly on the eyebrow with the scope, while firing prone with a Remington 788 243 and factory ammo. It's not recoilless, guys.

Wow, that took some effort on his part...

Back to the .25-06, love it! Milek's writings were part of the reason I gave the .25-06 a try. My current one has been my mule deer & coyote rifle for ten years now, and in recent years delivered a couple of pronghorn as well. Love the gentle nudge on the shoulder, quick recovery in the odd case when a second shot might be needed, superb accuracy, flat trajectory at reasonable ranges... Easy to load, easy to shoot. Everything Milek claimed for it.

One of these days I ought to put a 115 Nosler Partition in an elk or a black bear...

Regards, Guy

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by GuyM
One of these days I ought to put a 115 Nosler Partition in an elk or a black bear...

Regards, Guy

I have been waiting for it to happen.. grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GuyM

Back to the .25-06, love it! Milek's writings were part of the reason I gave the .25-06 a try. My current one has been my mule deer & coyote rifle for ten years now, and in recent years delivered a couple of pronghorn as well. Love the gentle nudge on the shoulder, quick recovery in the odd case when a second shot might be needed, superb accuracy, flat trajectory at reasonable ranges... Easy to load, easy to shoot. Everything Milek claimed for it.

Regards, Guy

I loved Milek's writing, and remember him writing extensively about quarter bores.
It was advice from a friends dad though, which eventually steered me in that direction.

I was coyote hunting a couple of years back when I ran across my buddies dad at a gas station/quik mart. He asked what I was shooting and I showed him my rifle. He then asked me why I chose a 25-06, and I reminded him that he'd recommended it years ago.

He got a chuckle out of that. Then he told me that he got the idea from a Milek article...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 41rem, 15 invisible), 1,287 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,459
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.