Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by RickyD
What I am against, is the arbitrary fees that some churches charge for simply having a wedding.
Hard to see freedom in your opinion. Churches should be free to do whatever they want in how others use their building and facilities and what they charge for that privilege. Why they should be treated any different in that regard than anyone else, is curious to say the least.

Why they should be treated differently????

They are tax exempt non-profit orgs. That's pretty different already. If they are profiting from weddings, that kind of weakens their non-profit status claim, doesn't it?

The freedom in my opinion is obvious. Churches are free to choose whether they are non-profit houses of worship or if they are a business (as in, seeking profit). Some of them like to blur the lines and have been getting away with it for decades. We have traditionally given them a pass on that, but it appears that is going to get harder.
Several things come to mind here. For one thing, I've always been against the government being in the marriage business. Since they don't test for diseases and such anymore, I don't see the point of a marriage license-other than for taxes.

The tax code is so convoluted and effed up it is unreal. Why should married folk get breaks for being hitched? Why should people get to deduct their kids? None of it is fair and none of it makes sense. Sorry for saying the f word. I know most here are against fairness of any kind and the word itself is an anathema to them.

I don't see why the government gets to define marriage in the first place. It's all about money. I couldn't care less if two guys want to get married. I don't believe in it and neither does my Church. The Church shouldn't be forced to marry people they don't believe in marrying. Neither should an individual minister. It begs the question of what happens if a Catholic Priest decides that a hetero couple hasn't done well enough on the class they have to take before getting hitched and refuses to marry them? If you have to marry homos, why not make them marry heteros where the marriage is bound to fail?

The whole thing is so effed it's insane. It's obvious that real marriage is between a man and a woman, but at the same time, where is it the government's role to define it as such or in any other way? I've long thought that this is what would result by letting the government be in charge of marriage.

I also think there's a misunderstanding of tax exempt status, but maybe it's by me. From what I understood, Churches are organizations, not Ministers. The Church is exempt from taxes but individual Ministers are not. Therefore the Church itself cannot be told what to do on this because it is marrying nobody. When my wife and I got hitched, we paid the Preacher. The Church got nothing. I might have made a donation, but there was no requirement. I don't have any idea if the Preacher would have done it if it was a situation where he knew he wasn't getting paid. But I assume the Preacher reported the income and paid taxes on it.

Well, Ethan.....it appears you have noticed some of the real battle.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If they are profiting from weddings, that kind of weakens their non-profit status claim, doesn't it?
Not in the least. No organization is totally non-profit or they wouldn't exist for long. Every entity has to take in more than it spends or the doors will soon be shut. The tax code simply identifies certain endeavors as doing enough public good that they can qualify for tax exemption.

Churches are only one of those. We've used non-profits for two of my kids graduation parties. Neither a church, but both charged us to use the facility which we were happy to pay. Maybe your objection is more centered on the church rather than non-profits in general, as most seem to enjoy renting parts of their facilities to help make ends meet.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...Maybe your objection is more centered on the church rather than non-profits in general...

That's a fair assumption. And I don't claim innocence in this. I have only come to the place where I see the problem recently.

For a Christian church to say they are "non-profit" while requiring "donations" for goods or services, seems to me, there is a problem reconciling that with faith and honesty. I know that for most religious groups, my thoughts on this would be challenging to the point of being offensive. I'm okay with that.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
...Maybe your objection is more centered on the church rather than non-profits in general...

That's a fair assumption. And I don't claim innocence in this. I have only come to the place where I see the problem recently.

For a Christian church to say they are "non-profit" while requiring "donations" for goods or services, seems to me, there is a problem reconciling that with faith and honesty. I know that for most religious groups, my thoughts on this would be challenging to the point of being offensive. I'm okay with that.

I think you can reconcile your thoughts in terms of "not-for-profit."
Any non-profit, religious or non religious, must cover its cost of providing services.
"Thou shalt not muzzel the ox that treads the corn." Paul uses that verse to explain that he saw no contradition in receiving material support for Spiritual ministry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

I think you can reconcile your thoughts in terms of "not-for-profit."
Any non-profit, religious or non religious, must cover its cost of providing services.
"Thou shalt not muzzel the ox that treads the corn." Paul uses that verse to explain that he saw no contradition in receiving material support for Spiritual ministry.

You think Paul was writing about The Church charging for services? The way it reads to me is that he was talking about The Church supporting it's own ministers (Paul and Barnabas) in their missionary work and travel. Or at least the idea that he should be able to expect that.

(From 1 Corinthians 9)

7 Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat its grapes? Who tends a flock and does not drink the milk? 8 Do I say this merely on human authority? Doesn�t the Law say the same thing? 9 For it is written in the Law of Moses: �Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain.�[b] Is it about oxen that God is concerned? 10 Surely he says this for us, doesn�t he? Yes, this was written for us, because whoever plows and threshes should be able to do so in the hope of sharing in the harvest. 11 If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you? 12 If others have this right of support from you, shouldn�t we have it all the more?

But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ.

13 Don�t you know that those who serve in the temple get their food from the temple, and that those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? 14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

Here, he is not talking about The Church being paid for a service - quite the opposite. The focus of the passage is on The Church providing for those who are serving. Then he goes on to write...

15 But I have not used any of these rights. And I am not writing this in the hope that you will do such things for me, for I would rather die than allow anyone to deprive me of this boast. 16 For when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, since I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! 17 If I preach voluntarily, I have a reward; if not voluntarily, I am simply discharging the trust committed to me. 18 What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make full use of my rights as a preacher of the gospel.

Paul doesn't condemn the preacher who accepts support from The Church - but he doesn't demand it for himself.

I don't think that helps me agree with Christian Churches charging members or non-members for services or goods for profit. And I definitely don't think this excuses charging arbitrary fees for a wedding. But neither, in my mind, have anything to do with expecting expenses (like clean-up) to be covered by the user.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

"But neither, in my mind, have anything to do with expecting expenses (like clean-up) to be covered by the user."

And this is my though as well.

My reference was far beyond the issue of the original post. I thought you had drifted into the area of wither a pastor, minister, or Evangelist should receive material compensation for spiritual ministry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

"But neither, in my mind, have anything to do with expecting expenses (like clean-up) to be covered by the user."

And this is my though as well.

My reference was far beyond the issue of the original post. I thought you had drifted into the area of wither a pastor, minister, or Evangelist should receive material compensation for spiritual ministry.

Preachers gotta eat too. wink

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Do you even comprehend what the term "non-profit" means legally? Or the more common term nowadays "not for profit"? You're kind of sounding like a liberal who wants free handouts, but actually somebody else has to pay for it behind the scenes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by selmer
- - when I preside at a marriage, I am simultaneously acting as an officer of the state and a called and ordained minister of Word and Sacrament (marriage is not a sacrament in the Lutheran church, BTW)

Why is it that marriage is NOT a Sacrament in the Lutheran Church (or is that just in the ELCA?) For how long has the doctrine been such?

Going on 500 years now... Sacramental definition in the Lutheran church is that Christ commands it and ties God's Word and promise to that which we can taste, see, touch, smell, hear - i.e. water, wine, bread.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Do you even comprehend what the term "non-profit" means legally? Or the more common term nowadays "not for profit"? You're kind of sounding like a liberal who wants free handouts, but actually somebody else has to pay for it behind the scenes.

I'm having a hard time understanding how you could not see that my point in that post has little do with legal definitions. If the measure of a religion is how it stands legally with the state, something very important is missing.

Me? A liberal looking for a handout? Hardly.

Look at it another way.....if your religion has so little faith and so few practitioners willing to sacrifice their own contribution that it can't survive without taking in profit, what does that say about it? Lots of secular non-profit orgs need to do that, but they are not burdened with the mission of spreading the Good News (Gospel is such a misunderstood word) - so their only standard is to meet legal requirements. The Church....God's Church....should have higher standards.

Last edited by FreeMe; 10/23/14.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
the war on Christians is out of control
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014...who-refuse-to-perform-same-sex-weddings/
Two Christian ministers who own an Idaho wedding chapel were told they had to either perform same-sex weddings or face jail time and up to a $1,000 fine, according to a lawsuit filed Friday in federal court.

Be like the Pagans and divorce the Church from the State. Simple!

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
the war on Christians is out of control
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014...who-refuse-to-perform-same-sex-weddings/
Two Christian ministers who own an Idaho wedding chapel were told they had to either perform same-sex weddings or face jail time and up to a $1,000 fine, according to a lawsuit filed Friday in federal court.

Be like the Pagans and divorce the Church from the State. Simple!

Proving once again, that you can learn something from everybody. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Marriage is one of the few things the state has any legitimate interest in. Especially if you take the classic, as opposed to the modernistic, view of what the state is supposed to be.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BarryC
Marriage is one of the few things the state has any legitimate interest in. Especially if you take the classic, as opposed to the modernistic, view of what the state is supposed to be.

Not sure where you're going with that, based on your previous posts - but even accepting that statement at face value, it doesn't give me any reason to agree that The Church should have any connection or co-operation with the State's marriage agenda.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Look at it another way.....if your religion has so little faith and so few practitioners willing to sacrifice their own contribution that it can't survive without taking in profit, what does that say about it? Lots of secular non-profit orgs need to do that, but they are not burdened with the mission of spreading the Good News (Gospel is such a misunderstood word) - so their only standard is to meet legal requirements. The Church....God's Church....should have higher standards.

The Church is not "taking in profit" when they ask someone to pay the COSTS of a wedding in their building. Your above description clearly shows that you want the religious adherents to make their own contributions in order to cover the COSTS of someone else's wedding ceremony. That's the definition of being a freeloader.

You're holding to a double-standard for religious non-profits due to your misunderstanding of the legal definition. And yes, in this discussion, the legal definition is what counts, since if the laws/courts were not involved, this wouldn't be any kind of problem at all in the first place.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The classic view of the state was that it represented a people. It's function was to represent and protect the interests of a people.
Therefore, the state was responsible for protecting the people from enemies and invaders, the integrity of the borders, and the general welfare of the people. There are 3 basic ways to eliminate a people - annihilation, infiltration and dilution, and finally, infertility. So, the state, along with it's general function of protecting life, limb and societal cohesion, has a corollary function of promoting the continued production of the people it represents.

When you get into the modern view of the state as simply a geographical monopoly, it's interest in promoting the continuation of any people becomes a little murkier, but is still there. After all, it's difficult for a state to continue when none of the people believe in the ideals it espouses. So therefore the state must encourage the production of the people that do believe it's organizing principles.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If these queers had any real balls they try this [bleep] in a Muslim mosque. But, I guess we all know what the outcome of that would be.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I wonder if any homo`s will try and get married in a Mosque???

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

The Church is not "taking in profit" when they ask someone to pay the COSTS of a wedding in their building. Your above description clearly shows that you want the religious adherents to make their own contributions in order to cover the COSTS of someone else's wedding ceremony. That's the definition of being a freeloader.

You're holding to a double-standard for religious non-profits due to your misunderstanding of the legal definition. And yes, in this discussion, the legal definition is what counts, since if the laws/courts were not involved, this wouldn't be any kind of problem at all in the first place.

If you're going to have a discussion with me in which you attempt to describe "my" point of view, it would help if you actually read what I have written - and not just the last post. I have not been talking about Churches recovering expenses. I have been talking about deliberate profit-making from service fees, intended to help cover other costs not related to the services. Lots of congregations do this. My point is that if they need to make a profit on services (which, clearly, some do) then their members are not upholding their stewardship responsibilities....OR, there is something so fundamentally wrong that membership is shrinking. This says something about that particular sect - but I am not pretending to say that I can tell you exactly what it says for any individual group.

I'll stand by my opinion....if a religious group needs to exact profit from services provided to others and to it's own members, there is a fundamental problem in the background. If it needs to profit from others to maintain a building that it cannot otherwise afford, the moral (not legal) line between faith & worship and business is blurred.

If you don't understand the difference between profit and expenses reimbursed, I can't help you understand my POV.

I do not misunderstand the legal definition of "non-profit". I do hold "religion" to a different standard. Especially those claiming to be Bible-based Christian groups. But that wasn't my idea. Can you guess who's it might be?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BarryC
The classic view of the state was that it represented a people. It's function was to represent and protect the interests of a people.
Therefore, the state was responsible for protecting the people from enemies and invaders, the integrity of the borders, and the general welfare of the people. There are 3 basic ways to eliminate a people - annihilation, infiltration and dilution, and finally, infertility. So, the state, along with it's general function of protecting life, limb and societal cohesion, has a corollary function of promoting the continued production of the people it represents.

When you get into the modern view of the state as simply a geographical monopoly, it's interest in promoting the continuation of any people becomes a little murkier, but is still there. After all, it's difficult for a state to continue when none of the people believe in the ideals it espouses. So therefore the state must encourage the production of the people that do believe it's organizing principles.

Okay - I see where you were going with that, then.

But the state having an interest in promoting marriage as a means to reproduction and cultural unity is not the same as having a right to usurp the religious sacrament of marriage vows and blessings. That's what the Church is supposed to be about in this respect. The Church should never have bowed to the state's desire to license marriage. We the People should never have submitted to manipulation through the tax code. The fact that these things are already in place does not excuse it as right or just. This goes back to something I posted early in this thread - to the effect that The Church should never have participated in this joint-ownership of the marriage rite.

And - just to get back to the OP - Two preachers and a building doing weddings for hire does not constitute a Church. Not in my view, anyway. I suspect that we will soon find out if the courts hold that same view. The implication at the beginning of this thread was that the owners of this wedding chapel were being charged, but that is not factual. The truth is that they have filed a preemptive lawsuit against the ordinance....

http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local/regional/2014/10/21/wedding-chapel-sues-gay-marriage/17681477/

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 69 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,413
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.