Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
O
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
We spent the weekend with some friends at their cabin last weekend and they brought a pile a guns with them to shoot at their range. A couple of them were 45 autos, both of which I shot along with a nice Kimber 10mm.

I was impressed with both the 10mm and 45 and told my wife she should shoot them, which she did. She wasn't that thrilled with the 10mm but really liked the 45 and now she wants one for herself.

The 2 pistols were a Springfield and the other was a Colt. Are there some other brands out there that are comparable to these 2?

I would look hard at a Springfield they are a lot of 1911 for the money and I would take one over a Colt in a heart beat.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have owned Colts in several sizes, mil surplus Remington Rand, Kimber and presently own a Ruger 5" 1911.

My all-time favorite; the Ruger!
It was purchased for personal protection.

I've modified it to include a shorter trigger to "fit" my hand better, and, if it has to set in a police evidence locker for several months, I'm not out that much cash.

I can hit better with this 1911 than any other I've owned.

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
You are correct Ethan, I am referring to the 1911 type 45 autos.

I'd like to keep the cost under $800 but she has been eyeballing the Kimbers behind my back. lol

If she wants a Kimber, get her a Kimber.

I will, if that's what she wants. I'm simply looking for suggestions on other models.

in my experience with my ex and daughters, if you get them what they want, so long as it is a decent gun, they are far more likely to use it....you pick out what you think they should have and it sits in the safe no matter how much "better" your choice for them is......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rattler

I'd like to keep the cost under $800 but she has been eyeballing the Kimbers behind my back. lol

I will, if that's what she wants. I'm simply looking for suggestions on other models.

in my experience with my ex and daughters, if you get them what they want, so long as it is a decent gun, they are far more likely to use it....you pick out what you think they should have and it sits in the safe no matter how much "better" your choice for them is......

I've found that to be very true with the numerous women who have taken my CHL course.

I try to steer then in the right direction, of course, but when their husbands ask which brand to buy them, I usually suggest that they let their Wife make the final selection. And with a little guidance, most of them tend to choose very well, in my experience.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

This. My fiance's Dad had a Kimber, so to her "1911" meant "Kimber." When the time came for me to buy her a 1911, I bought her a Kimber Eclipse. It's good to buy someone a gun they want and believe in, even if you may not agree with their reasons.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
then get her one

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by K1500
^they do remain in NY, but perhaps they are there fighting the good fight. Would it be better if they cut and run? I support companies that move (like magpul and beretta) and companies that stay like Kimber. Now, if Kimber was actively giving to someone like the HSUS or whatever they are calling handgun control inc. these days, that's a different story. Just living and working in a liberal state doesn't make them a bad company.

I can't see feeding and supporting an enemy sworn to destroy you and that opposes everything you stand for. To Kimber, that would be the governments of NYC and NYS. Yet, they remain.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This isn't my wife's first pistol and I have no intention of choosing her pistol for her. We'll go down to Cabelas and a few other stores and she'll find one that she likes best.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
By the way, in the $800 range, I would give the Ruger 1911 a hard look.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
1911 is great....and I agree that it is the best for a .45 caliber frame. However, if you (or her) is not stuck on the 1911 system, you might want to look at the Taurus. It's not exspensive and my wife really loves hers. I lijke the single stack magazines.... but she prefers the double stack. It's simple....as she says, "safety off annd start shooting"

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you really love your wife and she's a keeper buy her a Wilson.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then if he doesn't keep her he still has the Wilson... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
This isn't my wife's first pistol and I have no intention of choosing her pistol for her. We'll go down to Cabelas and a few other stores and she'll find one that she likes best.
Have her try a Commander size with a CNC laser grip. She might like it and she might not, but night sights are a big deal for me with a carry/defensive pistol. Nothin' good happens after midnite.

My wife has a Sig 220 with night sights. I put a Viridian laser/light on the rail. Not bulky and very handy. She likes my Kimber, too.

My daughter likes her M&P Compact in 45acp. No side safety. It's lighter than any of the above, though the 220's no heavyweight. Her M&P is snappy but darn accurate.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 10 invisible), 2,130 guests, and 764 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,401
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.