Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Guys,it's a rainy, sucky, fuggin' day here in WV so I'm doing some thinking for next years garden and I'm planning on doing a substantial addition to my pepper garden.Could you recommend a few pepper varieties to add a southwestern flair to my table next year ?

Would like to try some drying & roasting as well if that helps.

TIA.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pablanos, I'm not a big fan of peppers but there are a few that I do like, pablanos being 1. I also like jalapenos and habaneros.

As a matter of fact, we're having baked stuffed pablanos this weekend and i'm really looking forward to it.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
throw some hatch chili's in there. pretty much the perfect pepper.

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tim M

Hatch is more of a regional designation to the area where the pepper is grown I believe rather than a variety of pepper.

Looking for seeds to purchase online thus my inquiry.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Big Jim or Anaheim Denny.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My favorite is cayenne. I like them canned and use the peppers and the juice (pepper sauce). The Pepper sauce is great on cooked greens and field peas. Back in my youth we lived on what we grew and a staple was field peas (purple hull, crowder, and others) that were dried. I did not like them but could tolerate them by doing as my Grandfather did. He would mash them and then stir pepper sauce in, and it was a big improvement. I like to eat the pickled peppers with certain foods, spaghetti being one and brown beans (pintos) another along with any type of cooked greens or cabbage. The past few years plants that are not hybrids are hard to come by and the hybrid is not as good. I like jalapenos for some things but my standby is cayenne. They can always be dried and ground for pepper flakes like at the pizza place. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't think you could go wrong with Ancho,Anaheim or Mexibelle a favorite which I haven't planted for two years.The Mexibelle is especially great when you let it ripen red and then grill...the natural sugars with a little heat do wonders for anything messican..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mexibelle is new on my list Woody and I've found a source for seeds.

Thanks !!!

10-4 on the anaheims and big jims, Keith.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by milespatton
My favorite is cayenne. I like them canned and use the peppers and the juice (pepper sauce). The Pepper sauce is great on cooked greens and field peas. Back in my youth we lived on what we grew and a staple was field peas (purple hull, crowder, and others) that were dried. I did not like them but could tolerate them by doing as my Grandfather did. He would mash them and then stir pepper sauce in, and it was a big improvement. I like to eat the pickled peppers with certain foods, spaghetti being one and brown beans (pintos) another along with any type of cooked greens or cabbage. The past few years plants that are not hybrids are hard to come by and the hybrid is not as good. I like jalapenos for some things but my standby is cayenne. They can always be dried and ground for pepper flakes like at the pizza place. miles

+1!

My gardening skills are horrible. The one plant I've had great luck with, is the cayenne!

I slice the peppers, put them in a mason jar and top off with apple cider vinegar. My family laughs at me every time I open the fridge to take a drink of the juice!

Love the cayenne!

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like killer hangover remedy.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a fan of serrano peppers. The ones I've had produced gobs. Enough heat to be good but not enough to tear you up. One year we capped a bunch and seeded some, then dehydrated and ground up. Roasted some and put on pizzas.

I also like 'tame' jalapenos. Look like a regular jalapeno, have good flavor, but little to no heat.

I'm not to exotic other than the standards though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gypsy peppers. Extremely sweet orange bell pepper. Great raw and stuffed. Fresno peppers, a little smaller and less heat than jalapeno. Great for pickling and salsas. Thai dragon, small pencil thin heat seeking missles! Banana wax pepper, great for salads, sandwiches, and pickling.

If you only take one of my suggestions, get the Gypsy.

Sean
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by Tim M

Hatch is more of a regional designation to the area where the pepper is grown I believe rather than a variety of pepper.

Looking for seeds to purchase online thus my inquiry.

The most common hatch chili pepper is a NuMex 6-4 heritage variety. seeds can be had online at lots of seed vendors. i got mine from Sandia Seed Co. They'll have seeds for most any pepper you can think of.

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like the cow horn. A lot like a lot like a cayenne just larger and a softer skin.

http://georgiahomegarden.blogspot.com/2011/08/garden-harvests-august-22nd.html

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

212 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 25 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,277
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.