Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sucks. [bleep]!

Deus Juvat

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of the worst pain I've ever had was a pinched nerve. You have my sympathies for all the good they'll do you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sciatic Nerve pain Sucks. [bleep]!

Fixed it, but you were right all along. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm scheduled for back surgery next month to finally relieve my sciatica. Been fighting it since last May.

Needless to say, I'm scared sh**less.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by manydogs
I'm scheduled for back surgery next month to finally relieve my sciatica. Been fighting it since last May.

I battled Sciatic never pain for several years. Pain killers, Physical Therapy, you name it nothing helped. I worked Construction.
It got so bad that my right leg was going numb, then my Doctor Finally agreed (authorized) an MRI. MRI showed that my back was actually broken and the disc between #4 and #5 was crushed, it looked like a balloon that was being stepped on.

I was scheduled for surgery the following week.

Best thing I ever did.

Do I have pain? Sure all the time. Is it as bad as it was? Hell no not even close. Does it keep me awake a night? Sometimes. I do not take pain medication cept Neproxen (Aleve).

Do yourself a favor.

Follow the DR and PT orders to the letter. Do your exercises religiously and make sure you take long walks every day.

Mine was so bad that I will never go back to being a carpenter again, I have very limited weight restrictions. Not because the "Repair" will fail, but because the repair limits movement and abusing the repair can cause damage to the healthy disks etc, surrounding the repair.

Take it easy, do as you are told and you should be just fine. Odds are you will still have discomfort and pain however, it's how you manage that pain is what counts.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Stay away from Joan Rivers' doctor. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
had my L2 L3 disc fixed back in 2004. i had the same problem with nerve pain. wife has a bad lower disc now. she's been taking shots which have helped her alot.operation was the best thing i ever done. i still hurt at times but it usaully because i lift to much.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 270winchester
Sucks. [bleep]!

That is about the best description I know. I have lived with 24/7 since 9/20/01. By only advice is to stay away from pain meds as long as you can and learn to live with it.

I try to keep my mind busy and not let myself focus on the pain, don't let the pain win. I have been taking an on line course in project management that has kept my old brain so busy it has not had time to give pain a thought. Found myself doubled over while going to the kitchen for coffee and had to think why I was not standing up straight. That is when I knew I was being successful.

Best of luck.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep, opiates dont touch it, just knock you out so you dont have to 'be there' for it.....even with my knee pain i had lil empathy for those popping pills due to pinched nerves untill i bulged a disk and discovered the constant pain i was having from my knees wasnt chit in comparison crazy only thing ive found that works for it is pot, far distant second is NSAIDs like ibuprofen....though if you take opiates to knock yourself out to get away from it i dont blame a person a bit....it phuggin sucks....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I've been having numbness/pins and needles in the first three fingers of both hands and the top of both forearms for over a year due to pinched nerves in the neck. Amitriptyline helped for a while but the numbness is getting progressively worse. I've been to a pain management Doc and I'll be getting a nerve root injection next Tuesday....anything to put off surgery for as long as possible.

Too many years having fun as a fighter pilot are coming back to haunt me.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I've been having numbness/pins and needles in the first three fingers of both hands and the top of both forearms for over a year due to pinched nerves in the neck. Amitriptyline helped for a while but the numbness is getting progressively worse. I've been to a pain management Doc and I'll be getting a nerve root injection next Tuesday....anything to put off surgery for as long as possible.

if you have numbness get surgery now or risk the fact you may be like that for the rest of your life....no feeling means no signals are coming through and the nerve is pinched to the point its gonna start deteriorating....and once your so far down that rabbit hole there is no coming back.....numbness is what freaked me out to the point i went in for back surgery....i got it done soon enough that the nerve regenerated but i was hitting the critical time period at that point....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by steve4102

I battled Sciatic never pain for several years. Pain killers, Physical Therapy, you name it nothing helped. I worked Construction.
It got so bad that my right leg was going numb, then my Doctor Finally agreed (authorized) an MRI. MRI showed that my back was actually broken and the disc between #4 and #5 was crushed, it looked like a balloon that was being stepped on.

I was scheduled for surgery the following week.

Best thing I ever did.

Do I have pain? Sure all the time. Is it as bad as it was? Hell no not even close. Does it keep me awake a night? Sometimes. I do not take pain medication cept Neproxen (Aleve).

Do yourself a favor.

Follow the DR and PT orders to the letter. Do your exercises religiously and make sure you take long walks every day.

Mine was so bad that I will never go back to being a carpenter again, I have very limited weight restrictions. Not because the "Repair" will fail, but because the repair limits movement and abusing the repair can cause damage to the healthy disks etc, surrounding the repair.

Take it easy, do as you are told and you should be just fine. Odds are you will still have discomfort and pain however, it's how you manage that pain is what counts.

My experience was pretty much the same. Had L4 & L5 fused in 1992. Therapy didn't help that much, but walking 5 miles a day helped more than anything. Got off all the heavy meds and about all I use now is Neproxin (Aleve). Took about 5 years to get rid of the major pain issues, but still live with bearable day to day pain. Much better than before the surgery. And It's something you can and will learn to live with. Sure as hell beats being a cripple, any day of the week.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by navlav8r

I have stenosis(pinched nerves) in my cervical spine. When it acts up due to inflammation my right hand goes numb, but the unbearable pain is in my right Shoulder Blade area.

When this happens, I go the PT and have them put me in cervical traction a couple times a week until it's gone. Takes about 2 weeks on average (4 trips).

Have you had an MRI to diagnose the problem? If not I would get one ASAP to reduce the risk of permanent nerve damage.

OH, and thank you for your Service.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
many friends told me ,don't let them operate.yeah right. being a contractor you go work half a day then go home and start eating pain pills so you can work half of the following day. do that for 2 years and see how you feel about being operated on. if you try the shots ,we've found they don't work well at times. my wife had 2 that did nothing but the 3rd has fixed her for 6 months now. mine was about the same. first shot didn't last long,about 3 weeks i was bad again. second shot fixed me for a full year.i was ready for a 3rd when they decided to operate.MRI is the only way to go to make sure of your problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
something else that really helped my lower back pain . when you really get to hurting bad find something low,short step,5gallon bucket,anything lower then a normal seat. set on it lean foward for as long as you can. it was amazing how much stretching mine out would releive pain. i was also told by my doctor to stretch in bed before you get up in the morning. twist your legs across,back, every direction you can. i still do this most mornings before i get up.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I had a PT that told me to always wait till you're out of bed about 2 hours before you stretch because fluid settles around your spine/low back and can cause more injury.

This is a huge problem...WHO DO YOU BELIEVE? Every one is different.

Deus Juvat

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 2UP, 22 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.