Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 805
Setch
The attack pants are awesome!!! You will be more than pleased with them.

Kuiu might not have everything ironed out yet but their products are very well thought out and I will continue to support them.

Originally Posted by cwh2
Second the pants.... they rock.

Kuiu's move to China pissed me off, but they make some great gear.

I've sent stuff back in the past, but only because of fit issues, so never dealt with customer service. Glad you got it worked out.

805 and cwh2...my waist is about 36" to 37". Based on their size chart, I am thinking I am between L and XL. How do the pants fit?

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The pants are still sized by inch in waist size if I'm reading the site correctly?

I wear 32X34 Carhartts and jeans. That's what I ordered, and they fit me perfect. Only thing I've ever layered under them is 185 wt merino, which isn't much. I got mine in 2011, and have heard lots of complaints about sizing since then. It might pay to order two sizes and send back the ones that don't fit.

For jackets, I went with medium originally and sent them back for large. I'm 6'1 and 170 if that helps.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Second rate CS and product QC at top tier pricing will cost them dearly� First lite and others are going to kick Kuiu off the top of the mountain very soon� They have lost touch with the market that made them what they are. Happens all the time, great idea to start, then as growth sucks cash and hurts gross margins, supply chain is off shore'd, then quality suffers, CS suffers, customers revolt and a new entrant comes onto the scene� Kuiu has seen its best times, they are on the way out. The circle of free enterprise at its best.

God Bless America!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Speaking of CS, how is Sitka? Do they handle issues with products post-retailers return period or if issues arise are you stuck?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Contrary to "redfoxx's" ruminations, I have had great CS transactions. A 60 day return policy is pretty darn liberal. I make it a habit of trying on and looking at zippers and high stress stitch locations within 48 hours while leaving the tags on.
Is it expensive? Yes, but compare it to Sitka ( Jasons former company) and others it is not that out of line. Buy it at seasonal price reductions - which are undoubtedly coming up.

Recently, a careless postal employee stuffed $400 of clothes into my rural box. There were two slices in the bag that I carefully opened and was relieved to see didn't damage any clothing. A call to McCade at Kuiu resulted in a response of, "don't worry, let us know if that ever happens and we'll replace it".

This is specialty high tech clothing that has a premium price. Recall in the spring of '13 they had an across the board decrease in price.

Anything in the CS arena can develop into an "issue", but I find most people are willing to please the consumer.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hmmm� "ruminate"� that's cute "big whoop".

God Bless America!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Do u guys use the kuiu clothing in cold weather hunts?

If so, is it warm?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've not used it below about 10F. Below that I don't do much backpacking.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by gitem_12

If so, is it warm?

I wore a 185 and 250 top with super down coat and guide jacket with guide pants and 250 bottoms when it was 5 degrees and I was plenty warm with minimal activity.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For you guys who are on the east cost in the big hardwoods...what are your thoughts on the 2 different camo patterns Kuiu has - Vias Camo or the Verde Camo?

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
While I'm not on the east coast I say either of the two patterns is fine. The Verde has more green and the Vias has more earth tones. Later season patterns would favor Vias as leaf cover may be gone. I buy their non-camo tones and have had no problems filling the freezer. Plus the clothes can work "on the street" if need be.
Bowhunters might be more discriminating however. Good luck.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by setch
For you guys who are on the east cost in the big hardwoods...what are your thoughts on the 2 different camo patterns Kuiu has - Vias Camo or the Verde Camo?

I have the verde for CO elk hunting, but it seems fine in VA too. For late season the vias would seem better to me. They both break up your silhouette.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The guide jacket in Verde L/XL is backordered until early November....which eff's up my Halloween hunt.

I'll have to check the vias.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love Vais camo - I think its the best pattern out there. Period. If you are big in the chest, their jackets run a little small. I'm usually a Large (rarely XL) in a jacket at 5'10, 215 and their XL Guide DCS is so tight in the chest it won't permit an adequate insulating layer. I kept it for warmer weather hunts anyway.

I ordered a 2 xl in their top of the line Yukon jacket last week and it's a little roomy, but I'll at least be able to layer some down underneath. Their shells are pretty chilly without good insulation underneath, but very well made. I like it better than sitka for sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good advice....I will definitely be trying the L and XL.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by gitem_12

If so, is it warm?

I wear a DCS guide jacket with a couple layers of the merino wool and a Cabela's Switzer Primaloft jacket and that is adequate for hunting in the teens. That's hunting/hiking in CO, I'd want a bit more for sitting in a stand.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you have chest and arms muscles or long arms you will hate Kuiu. You could get by as long as you do not need to layer. If you are a skinny breadstick you will more then likely love Kuiu. Their pant sizing seems to be good.

Comparing Kuiu and Sitka isn't apples to apples. I can go to a number of stores and try their stuff on. Not so with Kuiu. The whole reason for direct to consumer is to cut cost. There for Kuiu is over priced.

Kuiu is a very niche market. Because of that it may survive. Low overhead and high prices make up for volume. Kuiu could be a rockstar with a few tweeks.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Comparing Kuiu and Sitka isn't apples to apples. I can go to a number of stores and try their stuff on. Not so with Kuiu. The whole reason for direct to consumer is to cut cost. There for Kuiu is over priced.

You're correct that they aren't apples to apples, but how do you figure KUIU is overpriced in comparison.

I mean, you can get a Guide Jacket, Attack Pants and either a set of merino tops and bottoms, or a super down zip, or a variety of accessories for far less than just the 90% coat and jacket.

Guide Jacket and attack pants are $318, Sitka 90% is $558. Certainly you can find Sitka at 40% off from time to time, that get's it closer, but KUIU runs roughly 30-40% less for their clothing line....retail markup is roughly the same.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jryoung

You're correct that they aren't apples to apples, but how do you figure KUIU is overpriced in comparison.

I mean, you can get a Guide Jacket, Attack Pants and either a set of merino tops and bottoms, or a super down zip, or a variety of accessories for far less than just the 90% coat and jacket.

Guide Jacket and attack pants are $318, Sitka 90% is $558. Certainly you can find Sitka at 40% off from time to time, that get's it closer, but KUIU runs roughly 30-40% less for their clothing line....retail markup is roughly the same.

Thanks, you beat me to it! Overpriced because of the convenience? We'll see what he responds with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jryoung

This is exactly the math I was doing. Bummed about so many kuiu items on backorder, but I'm optimistic about them. I stopped by cabelas to size the sitka jackets and was really surprised to see they were all made overseas. Wasn't that the compliant about Kuiu, no longer manufactured in US and moved overseas? Seems sitka has been doing that for awhile now.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.