Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Today was a day I'll never forget and I'm still a bit in shock as I write this. Most of my adult life has been spent working in two different gun shops, 9 years at the first one and going on 12 years at the current one. While I have encountered some real dregs of society over the years, I have also had the pleasure of meeting and getting to know some of God's finest creations. One in particular is a man I'll just call L.T. I first met him in the mid to late '80s at the first shop when he was an English professor at a local technical college. I attended that school for awhile but unfortunately was not in his class. He was one of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet, always had a smile and a kind word. I lost track of him when the first shop closed in 1995 and didn't see him again until I went to work at the current shop in 2003. We rekindled our friendship and became much more than just a gun store clerk and customer. He is retired now and has been like a uncle to me and I've spent time out of the shop with him shooting clays and traveling around to various gun shops and gun shows in the state. I've always enjoyed writing and have had a desire to break into some freelance gun writing. He encouraged me and was my "editor". So far, I have not been able to get either of my finished articles published but he still encourages me to write. Just a prince of a fellow and I wish I really was related to him.

Several years ago, we took in on consignment an unfired in the box Browning Citori that I was instantly smitten with. It was an English stocked Superlight Upland Special in 28ga with 24" barrels and was # 41 of 100 guns made for Quail Unlimited. It was simply a gorgeous little shotgun and I am a sucker for 28 gauges and English stocks. I couldn't afford it at the time and it gave me a lump in my stomach when I gazed upon it. I showed it to L.T. the next day and he was equally smitten. He bought it for $2350. As he filled out the 4473, I told him if he ever decided to part with it to give me first shot at it and he assured me he would. I was glad that it was going to a good home. A couple years later he had a mild heart attack and after he recovered, he mentioned to me that he might sell off a few guns. I told him that if the little Browning was one of them, I wanted it but that I'd have to "lay it away". Over the last couple months, I've sold several guns for him on Gun Broker and today he called and told me he was bringing in a couple more guns that he wasn't using. He came back to my office and pulled out an unfired in the box Winchester 94. We wrote up a consignment sheet and chit chatted awhile then he pulled out another case and as he unzipped it he said, "I know I'm going to get into an argument with you but we're not going to sell this one because this one is yours." With that, he handed me the Browning and I said "Yeah, that's the one I want and after vacation, I'm going to start giving you some money towards it." He said, "No you're not, it's yours." What he said didn't register and I said "What are you getting at?" He said "It's yours, it's a gift." Still not understanding, I said "No way!" He said, "I'm not going to argue with you, it's YOURS. Neither of my kids give a damn about guns and I realize I'm getting to be an old man. I want YOU to have it, enjoy it and give it a good home because I love you like a son, you're family to me. If you turn me down I'm going to be insulted so don't argue, it's YOURS!" I just stood there with my mouth open, speechless. I insisted I HAD to give him something for it but he wouldn't hear it. I tried to talk but teared up. So did he. Then he lightened the mood and sensed what I was thinking. He said, "Don't get the wrong idea, I'm in perfect health! I'm just thinning the herd, that's all, and it means a lot to me that you're getting the gun you wanted in the first place." I felt like a bumbling idiot and I tried to express my gratitude but all I could do was hug him. He only shot one round of clays with it and then put it in the safe. I can't wait to carry it on the dove field!

I am not worthy of this gift. This the second time something like this has happened. About 12 years ago, another "adopted uncle" gave me a 1941 vintage Winchester 71 .348 that I had lusted after for years. I told the story of that one on this forum at the time. I just don't get it because I'm just not that likeable.... I will treasure both of these guns until the day I die.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/markcloer/DSC01880_zpsf62f359d.jpg[/img]

Last edited by SCGunNut; 10/24/14.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beautiful shotgun!

Congrats man! I bet your bud would love to come over for a dove or quail BBQ!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
NICE
Congrats

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
To appease your concience, I will take it off your hands.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on the friendship. The gun is a nice, too.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dutch
Congrats on the friendship. The gun is a nice, too.

This.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It sure is a keeper! Bring it out and break it in on some quail and chuckar. cool cool (Two cool)

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
You have to be a blessing to be blessed. That's a beautiful shotgun!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
beautiful gun indeed.

but nothing quite as beautiful as a true friend

but better test him just to make sure

call him late tonite and tell him you need his help in disposing of the mrs. body

then you'll know whether you have a true friend (grin)

jk, congrats on your good fortune, oh and the shotgun too

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Yeah, it's like that.

Friends and brothers.

kd

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love it when good things happen to good people. You give me hope. Enjoy.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is way too cool. I suspect if you're not worthy now, you will be before it's all over. People like that tend to shape others in rather good ways.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow, will you use it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice story and nice shotgun. Congratulations.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Good friends are hard to find. If he thinks you are worthy of it you are worthy, it's pretty simple.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What really matters is that he thought you worthy. You are blessed.

I can't help but reflect on how difficult it is for us to accept a gift. If a friend gives us something our first reaction is, "How much do I owe you?" When they tell us it's a gift we tend to argue with them insisting that we do something so that we won't be beholden to them. It's that way with the ultimate Gift---our Salvation. Ponder that, if you will.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
You are a rich man. Beautiful bird gun there.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MColeman
What really matters is that he thought you worthy. You are blessed.

I can't help but reflect on how difficult it is for us to accept a gift. If a friend gives us something our first reaction is, "How much do I owe you?" When they tell us it's a gift we tend to argue with them insisting that we do something so that we won't be beholden to them. It's that way with the ultimate Gift---our Salvation. Ponder that, if you will.

This.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow! What a fantastic gesture and he obviously values your friendship greatly.

You are fortunate to have such a friend.

Congrats!

twofish

*Master of random precision*
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Wow, will you use it?

Absolutely! I can't wait to get it on a dove field.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.