Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
WTF do you think I meant when I mentioned the city.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Dammit Rog, ya gotta spend less time hunting, fishing and working and more time at home on the innernet, else you woulda seen this the first time around.

In conversations about this at the time it turns out the Canadian version of the coyote in the east has a strong admixture of wolf genes, and run larger than our Texas coyotes.

This was a horrific attack. I'm not sure the full details ever came out and I hope I'm wrong but the impression I got was nobody directly intervened to stop it until the Cops arrived on the scene, thirty minutes after the 911 calls were made.

Birdwatcher

I've seen some of those MIXES back in the Northeast( Northern New England) and in Canada, ( Quebec and the Maritimes)..

besides their being mating between them and wolves, or wolf mixes.. there is the coy dogs.. you can get some pretty good sized animals running around in those northern woods...

especially if they are mixed in packs containing coy dogs in them, you have a real problem, as the coy dogs don't have a natural fear of man, the way a coyote or wolf would...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am probably mistaken but from memory I think the Park Ranger responded to the scene without a firearm and for whatever reason retreated and drove back to HQ where he got an 870 .12 gauge went back to the scene and then wounded one of the coyotes and missed the others. My guess is he wasn't familiar with firearms and was pretty shook up as well. Hope the Park Rangers evaluated their training and firearms policy afterward.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
I am probably mistaken but from memory I think the Park Ranger responded to the scene without a firearm and for whatever reason retreated and drove back to HQ where he got an 870 .12 gauge went back to the scene and then wounded one of the coyotes and missed the others. My guess is he wasn't familiar with firearms and was pretty shook up as well. Hope the Park Rangers evaluated their training and firearms policy afterward.
Unbelievable!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had not heard of this so thanks for posting. Seems they get a couple of people each year - enough to be cautious; I wish about 10 of them would try to get me so I could kill that many!

IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Steelhead
WTF do you think I meant when I mentioned the city.
Two legged coyotes are brown and not limited to the big cities, but get your panties twisted if you wish.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Dammit Rog, ya gotta spend less time hunting, fishing and working and more time at home on the innernet, else you woulda seen this the first time around.

In conversations about this at the time it turns out the Canadian version of the coyote in the east has a strong admixture of wolf genes, and run larger than our Texas coyotes.

Yep, the only mention of this (attack/Eastern Cyote genetics) was on the interwebz...

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/meet-the-coywolf/meet-the-coywolf/8605/

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
we've had a few attacks on children here, out on the island.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Ready;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust this finds you and yours doing acceptably well on this cool fall morning.

I'm on my last gulp of coffee before heading up the mountain behind our house in search of a fat whitetail buck that is sufficiently dense enough to stand still long enough for me, but thought I'd comment on Roger's thread here quickly.

As noted by at least one poster, we're not allowed to carry firearms in a the national parks, but in our experience nobody even blinks when I've had one of these strapped to my day pack straps or on my hip in plain view.

[Linked Image]

Over the years I've needed to use a knife to put down a good double handful of MV hit deer and am quite sure a blade would be much, much better than nothing in a predatory attack.

That said, we're typically carrying a couple cans of bear spray and it wasn't unusual for me to have a custom laminated hardwood walking stick in my hands either.

Again nobody raised an eyebrow at them, especially if one turned the conversation to the wildflowers we'd seen down the way..... wink

I hope and pray I never have to endure what this young lady did- to say the least its a horrific way to die.

That said, I am fairly confident that if I did or if I encountered a fellow backwoods hiker in a similar situation that the right mindset combined with some basic tools might/could affect the outcome in a more positive manner.

Anyway sir, I'd better saddle up and slither on up the mountain now. All the best to you folks Ready and good luck on your remaining hunts this fall.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

I only now saw your reply. You show yourself again a well prepared, in mind and gear, outdoors man. That your happening into such situation would turn the tides I have no doubt.

Did you happen on that buck you were in search for the other day?

All the best to you and family in all your endeavours.

C.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Those hikers should have picked up solid tree limbs and chased them off.

Exactly! They should have done something!

Only problem I would have had is finding one that didn't break at the beginning of the swing. Not once have I ever needed a good solid limb and been able to pick one up without it breaking and becoming totally useless. I guess around here if it is rotten enough to fall out of a tree, It isn't going to be of much use. That is why I wouldn't need to look for a limb. It took me a long time to finally realize that if I'm going to be in places that could be dangerous, I had better carry something to even the odds, because finding something when you need it might be a problem.

I would bet that, even being a seasoned naturalist, she wouldn't have minded a few of her friends shooting a couple of those coyotes. I hope that I am never in a situation that I have to look back and say what if I had been armed.

Harry
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder how many Yotes were in the pack when they attacked? That might have something to do with the action of the onlookers and the Park Ranger..

Last edited by Pete E; 11/04/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Her manager, Lisa Weitz, wrote in an e-mai:

"She loved the woods and had a deep affinity for their beauty and serenity."

Like many people, the singer and her manager held the flawed view that the woods is a place of serenity. The singer learned, the hard way, that it isn't. It's a kill-or-be-killed theater, an eat-or-be-eaten environment. The manager, even with first-hand experience, continues to ignore the obvious. It's sad, and unfortunate. Sadly and unfortunately, it's also willful.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter

Like many people, the singer and her manager held the flawed view that the woods is a place of serenity. The singer learned, the hard way, that it isn't. It's a kill-or-be-killed theater, an eat-or-be-eaten environment. The manager, even with first-hand experience, continues to ignore the obvious. It's sad, and unfortunate. Sadly and unfortunately, it's also willful.

Steve.
Probably saw the woods as some scene out of a Disney movie. I'm more like the old Puritans and Pilgrams and see the woods as a dark and dangerous place.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E
I wonder how many Yotes were in the pack when they attacked? That might have something to do with the action of the onlookers and the Park Ranger..

Three...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by Pete E

Three...

If thats the case, their inaction was indeed beyond pitiful..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You need to consider the time frame also. This was NOT a quick affair. It went on for a considerable amount of time which says even worse for the other people who where there. Coyotes don't usually kill the prey before they eat it. They were eating her alive for more than an hour.The others just listened while it happened.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stxhunter
yeah but its still interesting, first i have heard of a pack of coyotes killing an adult.

I've never heard of coyotes killing a person. ..and I can't understand how the other hikers could just listen to her scream, for what must have been an extended period of time, without trying to do more than call 911. I bet they hear her in their environmentalist nightmares!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm sure one was outside my tent this weekend. I'm 99.99% positive it wasn't a bear or cat, I was just too cold to go out and look for it in the middle of the night. He was pretty bold and came right up to the tent.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter

Steve.
Probably saw the woods as some scene out of a Disney movie. I'm more like the old Puritans and Pilgrams and see the woods as a dark and dangerous place.

The truth is neither.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
You need to consider the time frame also. This was NOT a quick affair. It went on for a considerable amount of time which says even worse for the other people who where there. Coyotes don't usually kill the prey before they eat it. They were eating her alive for more than an hour.The others just listened while it happened.

Exactly. The reports that I read on this, some rather graphic, indicate that they attacked her legs first (as coyotes will do), and essentially ate her thighs, buttocks, and when they could get to her abdomen, that area as well. She had defensive wounds on her hands and arms and bites there and to her face as one or two of the coyotes would keep her off of the one/two feeding on her.

They tore her apart, and ate her alive for almost an hour, and the bystanders did nothing.

I truly hope their nightmares are every bit as real as what that woman went through.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,627
Posts18,455,165
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.