Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/29/canada.singer.killed/

(CNN) -- A rising Canadian folk singer was killed by coyotes this week in a national park in Nova Scotia, a park spokesman said Thursday.

Taylor Mitchell, 19, was at the beginning of the Skyline Trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park on Tuesday afternoon when she was attacked, according to Chip Bird, the Parks Canada field unit superintendent for Cape Breton.

Bird said hikers saw the coyotes attacking Mitchell and called 911. She was airlifted to a hospital in Halifax, where she died about 12 hours later, he said.

Mitchell was recently nominated for Young Performer of the Year honors by Canadian Folk Music Awards. She was touring the Maritime provinces and had a break between gigs to go hiking Tuesday, her manager, Lisa Weitz, said in an e-mail.

"She loved the woods and had a deep affinity for their beauty and serenity," she wrote.

"Words can't begin to express the sadness and tragedy of losing such a sweet, compassionate, vibrant, and phenomenally talented young woman," Weitz said.

"Her warmth, loving nature, astounding artistry, and infectious enthusiasm will be so missed and forever remembered."

Mitchell, who was originally from the Georgian Bay area in Ontario, lived in Toronto, Weitz said.

Bird said the area where the attack occurred is popular and well traveled. It remained closed, and park authorities had shot one coyote believed to be involved. A pathologist will test the animal's body for diseases that might have triggered the attack, he said.

Searches for other aggressive animals in the park continue, he said.

"Public safety is our primary concern," he said.

He said no other coyote attacks had ever occurred in the park. "We've had coyotes approach people too closely," he said, and about six years ago one nipped a person.

That animal was killed because of "lack of fear," he said.

But Tuesday's attack is "unprecedented and a totally isolated incident," he said.

In a written statement, Emily Mitchell described her daughter as "a seasoned naturalist and well versed in wilderness camping. She loved the woods and had a deep affinity for their beauty and serenity. Tragically it was her time to be taken from us so soon.

"We take a calculated risk when spending time in nature's fold -- it's the wildlife's terrain," Emily Mitchell's statement continued. "When the decision had been made to kill the pack of coyotes, I clearly heard Taylor's voice say, 'please don't, this is their space.' She wouldn't have wanted their demise, especially as a result of her own. She was passionate about animals, was an environmentalist, and was also planning to volunteer at the Toronto Wildlife Centre in the coming months."

Send your stories, photos of Mitchell

Michael Johnston, Mitchell's producer for her debut album, "For Your Consideration," said the singer was a "brilliant and beautiful light that people were naturally drawn to."

"She was so young and talented. Her big dreams were a perfect match with her big, kind heart."

He said he and his family would soon be organizing a celebration of her life.

Coyote attacks on humans are extremely rare, said Michael O'Brien, wildlife manager of furbearers and upland game for Nova Scotia.

It is "not expected or normal behavior," he said, although he said there had been aggressive incidents in Nova Scotia before, but no deaths.

Illness, injury and familiarity with humans can affect an animal's behavior, he said.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't want to bust your balls, but did you by any chance read the date on that piece? It happened 5 years ago.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I have been stalked by coyotes in the Ocala NF, but they never showed much real desire to attack.
I guess, since this was in Canada, she did not have a pistol with her. Likely that she would not have gone armed anyway, since she was a 'seasoned naturalist'.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
yeah but its still interesting, first i have heard of a pack of coyotes killing an adult.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
One more reason to kill a mess of coyotes this winter.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Was dragging a small wild hog back to camp one night by moonlight when I heard a sound. Turned on the surefire and there in the wheat field was a couple of coyotes. Off to my right were a couple more and one more directly behind me at about 10 yards.

I figure they were following the hog scent more than me, but it was a bit unnerving as to how close they got without me knowing it. They left when they heard me work the rifle bolt.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dammit Rog, ya gotta spend less time hunting, fishing and working and more time at home on the innernet, else you woulda seen this the first time around.

In conversations about this at the time it turns out the Canadian version of the coyote in the east has a strong admixture of wolf genes, and run larger than our Texas coyotes.

This was a horrific attack. I'm not sure the full details ever came out and I hope I'm wrong but the impression I got was nobody directly intervened to stop it until the Cops arrived on the scene, thirty minutes after the 911 calls were made.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Dammit Rog, ya gotta spend less time hunting, fishing and working and more time at home on the innernet, else you woulda seen this the first time around.

In conversations about this at the time it turns out the Canadian version of the coyote in the east has a strong admixture of wolf genes, and run larger than our Texas coyotes.

This was a horrific attack. I'm not sure the full details ever came out and I hope I'm wrong but the impression I got was nobody directly intervened to stop it until the Cops arrived on the scene, thirty minutes after the 911 calls were made.

Birdwatcher

You're not wrong. Several "witnesses" kept their distance and watched/listened to the attack.

There was a very strong likelihood that the victim was in the midst of a menstrual cycle at the time of the attack (known to draw/trigger attacks in bears and other predators), and she ran when the coyotes first began their inquiries, triggering the predator/prey response. Her small size added to the problem, and she may well have tripped in front of them during her run.

A very bad combination of factors adding up to an attack with no means or understanding of self-defense, and then abject cowardice by those in the immediate area who could have rendered protection.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I couldn't stand by and let that happen.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
... and why would you? Grab a good stick and practice your golf swing. Target rich environment, it seems.

I can not fathom the extent of "911 and stand by" here...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Standing by while a girl gets torn apart by as many as three coyotes don't seem exactly "Canadian" either.

Had to be women making those calls, I hope.

But even then, there's probably a reason why no witness accounts were published.

I hope that girl is in Heaven now, and all of this is irrelevant to her.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This was a horrific attack. I'm not sure the full details ever came out and I hope I'm wrong but the impression I got was nobody directly intervened to stop it until the Cops arrived on the scene, thirty minutes after the 911 calls were

I guess they were not fans.......

Good music.

Last edited by 12344mag; 10/24/14.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"There was a very strong likelihood that the victim was in the midst of a menstrual cycle at the time".........

Not questioning that at all since I've seen horses act up around women during their monthlies.

But I killed a coyote that was stalking my girlfriend while we were deer hunting, and it was NOT during her period.

She was sitting on the ground and saw the coyote come from behind her and to her right side, unaware of her. Then, as soon as he got a little downwind from her, he circled and got directly downwind, then started back toward her, using what cover was available to him.

When he got within about 40 yards of her, she cut down on him with the '06 I'd loaned her, but missed. I was coming toward her when I heard her shoot and waited and watched. The big dog coyote was running thru the brush and I got him with my 45 70.

He appeared to me to be perfectly healthy.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Standing by while a girl gets torn apart by as many as three coyotes don't seem exactly "Canadian" either.

Had to be women making those calls, I hope.

But even then, there's probably a reason why no witness accounts were published.

I hope that girl is in Heaven now, and all of this is irrelevant to her.

Birdwatcher

Not all of them.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ready;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust this finds you and yours doing acceptably well on this cool fall morning.

I'm on my last gulp of coffee before heading up the mountain behind our house in search of a fat whitetail buck that is sufficiently dense enough to stand still long enough for me, but thought I'd comment on Roger's thread here quickly.

As noted by at least one poster, we're not allowed to carry firearms in a the national parks, but in our experience nobody even blinks when I've had one of these strapped to my day pack straps or on my hip in plain view.

[Linked Image]

Over the years I've needed to use a knife to put down a good double handful of MV hit deer and am quite sure a blade would be much, much better than nothing in a predatory attack.

That said, we're typically carrying a couple cans of bear spray and it wasn't unusual for me to have a custom laminated hardwood walking stick in my hands either.

Again nobody raised an eyebrow at them, especially if one turned the conversation to the wildflowers we'd seen down the way..... wink

I hope and pray I never have to endure what this young lady did- to say the least its a horrific way to die.

That said, I am fairly confident that if I did or if I encountered a fellow backwoods hiker in a similar situation that the right mindset combined with some basic tools might/could affect the outcome in a more positive manner.

Anyway sir, I'd better saddle up and slither on up the mountain now. All the best to you folks Ready and good luck on your remaining hunts this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Those hikers should have picked up solid tree limbs and chased them off.

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Guy at the camp killed a female yote about a half mile from the camp. Put it on the back of the 4 wheeler and drove back to camp for pictures. He was alone at the time. Parked the for wheeler, turned around and watched a male yote trail the female all the way to the camp from the gravel road. This area is wide open with no cover. He couldn't get to his gun in time once the shock wore off. Damn thing came withing 20 yards of him. Puzzy will make animals do strange things.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag
This was a horrific attack. I'm not sure the full details ever came out and I hope I'm wrong but the impression I got was nobody directly intervened to stop it until the Cops arrived on the scene, thirty minutes after the 911 calls were

I guess they were not fans.......

Good music.

Indeed! I love her voice. smile

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's unfortunate that so many forget that wolves are out their waiting to kill our women, be it in the country or the city.

There is nothing the wolves like more than unarmed sheep.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Two legged coyotes, too.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

597 members (257 mag, 270cowboy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 69 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,295
Posts18,448,991
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.