Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
[Linked Image]

Navy Bean and Ham soup, done in the "Lodge" dutch oven. Cold and Rainy here today, in the 40s. Soup seemed to be the way to go. Sooo Good.

GB2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yum. I plan on making soup this weekend. Not sure what but I have yet to find the proper bean here in Korea to do ham and bean soup.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looks delicious!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Looks tasty!

I made one yesterday for me & the wife:

I steamed 1 sweet potato, 1 red pepper, and 4 or 5 cloves o' garlic. Tossed it in the VitaMix blender with
1 tsp miso paste
1 T chopped ginger
2 T frozen chipotles in adobo sauce
2 T soy sauce (or Bragg's aminos)
3 1/2 cups hot veggie broth

I blended it for about a minute, & we had a hell of a meal. Surprisingly complex, and creamy as all get-out (without any cream).

I ashamed to admit that it came from a diet cleanse book she had, but the damned stuff is so tasty, I don't care if it's healthy!

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
EdM,

Any dried peas too be had over there?

I made some split pea and ham soup a few weeks ago that turned out yummie!

Very simple to make, dried peas, chicken broth, some onion and diced ham.
Yum Yum!

Virgil B.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by tommyd53
[Linked Image]

Navy Bean and Ham soup, done in the "Lodge" dutch oven. Cold and Rainy here today, in the 40s. Soup seemed to be the way to go. Sooo Good.

Here's the recipe for the soup:

[*]INGREDIENTS:
1 pound dried Navy Beans
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced (I use 3 or 4)
1 large carrot, diced
2 ribs of celery, diced
1 tablespoon fresh sage, crumbled
1 quart low sodium beef broth
4 cups water
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 oz. lean ham steak, cubed ( I use 8 oz)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves (optional)
DIRECTIONS:
Pick over the beans and discard any stones. Soak the beans in cold water for at least 8 hours. Drain and rinse well. Heat the oil in your soup pot, over med-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Now add the carrots, celery and sage and cook until all the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Now add the beans, beef stock, water, bay leaf, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the beans begin to soften, about 1 hour. Add the ham and cook uncovered for about a half hour more, until the beans are soft and the soup has thickened. Serve garnished with Parsley (optional).
This is a really good, hearty soup and pretty easy to make. Enjoy!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My lunch schedule is pretty standard day to day, who I eat with, and where we go is dictated by what day of the week it is.

Tuesday the soup of the day is beef barley at one of the local hole in the wall diners. Some local contractors I often use always take me there and we have soup. Every Tuesday. It is good.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i will make this...i've been needing to work up a go-to bean soup recipe for about 30 yrs...

(i would probably mash up some of those beans for creamy texture and color...)

Last edited by sse; 10/24/14.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by sse
i will make this...i've been needing to work up a go-to bean soup recipe for about 30 yrs...

I didn't print that in the recipe, but that's exactly what I do. I take a potato masher and crush some of the beans into a paste,after they've softened, and mix it back in. It does thicken the broth. You'll love this soup. Get a good smoked ham steak to dice up and that will add another nice flavor. The fresh sage adds so much, too.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by tommyd53
Originally Posted by sse

I didn't print that in the recipe, but that's exactly what I do. I take a potato masher and crush some of the beans into a paste,after they've softened, and mix it back in. It does thicken the broth. You'll love this soup. Get a good smoked ham steak to dice up and that will add another nice flavor. The fresh sage adds so much, too.

I also forgot to mention that potato makes a good thickening agent, too. Just cut up a potato or 2, into chunks, and boil. When the potato is soft, drain and mash. Add the mash to the soup, and you have a nice, thick broth. Although I didn't do it with the soup that is pictured, I prefer the potato thickener. I've read you can also use instant mashed potato to thicken your soup base. I've never tried it, but it should work.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks good, I made a smoked turkey noodle.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Here's my favorite bean soup recipe... it's very tasty. smile

GRANDPA RON'S HEARTY BEAN SOUP
(Makes about 2� quarts-5 generous servings)

1 lb. Great Northern Beans, rinsed well and debris picked out-do not soak overnight
1 lb. Smoked ham hock wrapped thoroughly in cheese cloth
1 lb. Smoked ham steak, cubed �-inch
8 Large cloves of garlic, minced fine
1 Medium+ (large softball size) onion, chopped medium fine
1 Large rib of celery, chopped medium fine (no leaves)
1 Large carrot, washed thoroughly (but not peeled), small cubed (� to � inch)
1 Tablespoon of Frank's Red Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce (no substitutes)
1 Tablespoon of butter to saut� the onions & garlic-don't allow butter to "brown"
� teaspoon Lowry's Season Salt (taste soup after cooking, you might like more)
1 8 ounce can of Hunt's Tomato Sauce (for color), rinse can with water & add to pot
Water as needed

PREPARATION:
1) In a 4 quart pot, add the ham hock & enough water to completely cover. Cover pot & simmer over low heat for 3-4 hours, add more water (as needed) to keep hocks covered.
2) Pour smoky-flavored ham hock cooking liquid from pot through a fine strainer into a different bowl, save it all for later use.
3) Meanwhile, thoroughly wash the carrot & celery (don't peel the carrot) & chop up all the vegetables. Add the onion, garlic & butter to a 4 quart pot & saut� over medium heat, stirring often, until softened. Garlic becomes bitter if browned so don't over-cook.
4) Remove all fat from the ham steak, cut into �-inch cubes & add to the pot.
5) Add the smoky ham hock liquid, all the veggies, the beans to the pot. Add enough additional cool water (or chicken or beef stock for a "different" flavor) to the ingredients to cover 2 inches above the beans, meat & veggies. Increase heat, bring mixture to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, cover & simmer over low heat for 2� hours, stirring every 20 minutes, then begin checking the beans for doneness every 10 minutes or so. The beans should be done in 2� to 3 hours or so depending on the raw bean's moisture content.
6) When the beans are very slightly under-cooked in their middle & cooked, but still firm on the outside, remove the pot from the stove, uncover & sit it aside to cool, adding enough cool hock liquid (or water or stock) to make the soup the consistency you prefer. If the beans are still slightly "hard" on the outside, simmer the soup slightly longer & re-check the beans. Put the soup into containers & refrigerate or freeze. Reheating the soup later (to eat it) on the stove will complete the bean's cooking process.

NOTE: This recipe can easily be doubled for convenience yielding about 5 quarts. Most soups and Chili tend to become more flavorful if refrigerated over-night or frozen & reheated for later consumption. Doing so allows the flavors to "marry" adding a greater depth of flavor. Often the difference in flavor is surprising. So plan to eat your bean soup for the first time the day after it is made & refrigerated. Freeze the rest for later consumption.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
goll darnitt gramps that looks purty good

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I also forgot to mention that potato makes a good thickening agent, too.

Yup. Just made a batch of pea soup, and add potato to the pot. When cooked, I like to remove the ham and carrots, then add back in after pureeing everything. Comes out velvety smooth. I like the chunky style, too, but that is how I do mine.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
P.S. not sure what is referred to as a "ham steak".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sse
P.S. not sure what is referred to as a "ham steak".

http://www.mycooksham.com/cooking/ham-steak-thick-cut-steak

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Thank you...so it's just ham cut in a big hunk

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thick slice of ham.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sse
Thank you...so it's just ham cut in a big hunk

Yep,,,, just like a Beef Steaks Just a roast cut in a big ol hunk. Costs a little more but they're handy when you don't need a whole ham.
I buy the bone in steaks once in a while. Eat part of it for supper and the rest for breakfast the next day or two.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/300x300/exps12078_QC10107C13.jpg

Last edited by FieldGrade; 10/25/14.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
need all ham, large or small

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,790 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.