Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
"Drummer in the Woods" by Burton Spiller was my first taste of upland writing and the back story by Wm. Tapply, "Burt's Gun", confirmed the genuine character of the poet laureate of the game bird.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never even seen a grouse, let alone shot one in Kansas. We get into our share of pheasants, and once in a while quail. Sure do miss the quail hunting we used to have, and I never saw it in its glory days.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Chappy410
I haven't hunted birds in a few years since both my English Setters passed on. I finally picked me up a new pup in early September of this year. He is a Llewellin Setter and will be 4 months old at the end of this month. He is showing all the signs of being bred to hunt. I have been spending most of the last 2 months working on obedience training. I have introduced him to the gun and he shows no signs of being gun shy. He sticks right with us when we are shooting clay pigeons and naps at my feet when I am shooting rifles and handguns.
Just wish we had some pheasants around to see how he would do on birds. May end up taking him to a shooting preserve later this fall to introduce him to birds.
Hopefully, next fall he will be ready for some Northern Michigan grouse and woodcock. And the Ruger Red Label 28 gauge is all set to go. I had some pretty good coverts to hunt with my other English Setters and hopefully they will still be productive.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THAT is ONE BEAUTIFUL DOG. Gotta make ya proud.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Originally Posted by Chappy410
I haven't hunted birds in a few years since both my English Setters passed on. I finally picked me up a new pup in early September of this year. He is a Llewellin Setter and will be 4 months old at the end of this month. He is showing all the signs of being bred to hunt. I have been spending most of the last 2 months working on obedience training. I have introduced him to the gun and he shows no signs of being gun shy. He sticks right with us when we are shooting clay pigeons and naps at my feet when I am shooting rifles and handguns.
Just wish we had some pheasants around to see how he would do on birds. May end up taking him to a shooting preserve later this fall to introduce him to birds.
Hopefully, next fall he will be ready for some Northern Michigan grouse and woodcock. And the Ruger Red Label 28 gauge is all set to go. I had some pretty good coverts to hunt with my other English Setters and hopefully they will still be productive.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THAT is ONE BEAUTIFUL DOG. Gotta make ya proud.

Thanks, LBK

To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will. Ronald Regan.

NRA Life Member, US Army Veteran

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nothing like a real hunting breed to make the grouse more special...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
shrapnel, reminds me of a friend of mine's poodle-pointer, or whatever you call them. It's a pretty good pointer and retriever.

Maybe next time you take your pal there to the doggy groomer salon, they can give it a hair style that looks more like one of these.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mw406
shrapnel, reminds me of a friend of mine's poodle-pointer, or whatever you call them. It's a pretty good pointer and retriever.

Maybe next time you take your pal there to the doggy groomer salon, they can give it a hair style that looks more like one of these.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

VERY nice pictures. What model Rem semi-auto shotgun are you holding. I have an 11-48 in 28 ga. 1950's gun. I just can't tell from the pictures. Damn cataracts.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have the right dog available when you want the finer guns and accoutrements for thee gun dog magazines...

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Longbeard, exact same gun, 1950's 11-48 also in 28 gauge. I mess around with it a bit. I mostly hunt with old side x sides but I like to take out the "machine guns" every once in a while.

Sharpnel, that's more like it.

Grousin' with my setter May and an 1890's London made damascus barreled 2 1/2" 12 bore.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Longbeard, exact same gun, 1950's 11-48 also in 28 gauge. I mess around with it a bit. I mostly hunt with old side x sides but I like to take out the "machine guns" every once in a while.

Grousin' with my setter May and an 1890's London made damascus barreled 2 1/2" 12 bore.

[Linked Image]

That's the ONLY other one
I've ever seen.. It's a fun gun to shoot...........

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

I know where that picture was taken, I have been there hundreds of times. Looking the other direction not far from there...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice guys! Great to see someone's getting out. Damn bone spurs have me stuck in the valley. At least I can go fishing! If I move carefully, that is.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Steve (Longbeardking)...

Pleased to read your young dog is doing so well. Youse guys are "tough" on those of us who have had some fine dogs.

I well-remember mine... "Murphy", an English Setter with a great "nose" for birds... she was a delight until some SOB stole her.

"Duke", a really smart German Shorthair, who would range out 50 yards or so which, when he first did it... I thought all-was-lost because he was gonna flush the birds outta range, but then, he got a "whiff-of-pheasant" and went a bit further out beyond the cock-bird, then turned and hunted BACK toward me, pushing the running bird in front of him and toward me until it flushed... not 10 feet away which made for an easy shot. We had some fine hunts together.

And then there was "Fred", the Brittany... liver & white... Gawd, I loved that dog! He was a true hunter without peer. That dog LIVED to hunt and no dog was ever a better "pointer"... and he would "flush-the-bird" on command. All I had to say was, "Get-'em-Fred" and he "rushed" in and flushed the pheasant or quail. When I came outta the house with a shotgun-in-hand, Fred would go WILD... jumping up and down at the kennel's gate, wild-eyed with excitement because he "knew" we were going bird-hunting. Fred lived to be 17 years old... and finally was so crippled up with arthritis that he struggled just to get up... and sadly, I could see in his eyes that he was in terrible pain, so I had to put him down... I sure didn't wanna, but I couldn't stand to see poor 'ol Fred in such pain.

I've never owned another dog... it was just "too much" having to put Fred "down".

Those three fine hunting dogs gave me a life-time of wonderful memories... never to be duplicated again.

"Treasure" those memories of those hunts with your dogs, my friends... I can tell you that they're gonna become some of your favorite and most wonderful memories. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Amen, Ron.

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ron_T
Steve (Longbeardking)...

Pleased to read your young dog is doing so well. Youse guys are "tough" on those of us who have had some fine dogs.

I well-remember mine... "Murphy", an English Setter with a great "nose" for birds... she was a delight until some SOB stole her.

"Duke", a really smart German Shorthair, who would range out 50 yards or so which, when he first did it... I thought all-was-lost because he was gonna flush the birds outta range, but then, he got a "whiff-of-pheasant" and went a bit further out beyond the cock-bird, then turned and hunted BACK toward me, pushing the running bird in front of him and toward me until it flushed... not 10 feet away which made for an easy shot. We had some fine hunts together.

And then there was "Fred", the Brittany... liver & white... Gawd, I loved that dog! He was a true hunter without peer. That dog LIVED to hunt and no dog was ever a better "pointer"... and he would "flush-the-bird" on command. All I had to say was, "Get-'em-Fred" and he "rushed" in and flushed the pheasant or quail. When I came outta the house with a shotgun-in-hand, Fred would go WILD... jumping up and down at the kennel's gate, wild-eyed with excitement because he "knew" we were going bird-hunting. Fred lived to be 17 years old... and finally was so crippled up with arthritis that he struggled just to get up... and sadly, I could see in his eyes that he was in terrible pain, so I had to put him down... I sure didn't wanna, but I couldn't stand to see poor 'ol Fred in such pain.

I've never owned another dog... it was just "too much" having to put Fred "down".

Those three fine hunting dogs gave me a life-time of wonderful memories... never to be duplicated again.

"Treasure" those memories of those hunts with your dogs, my friends... I can tell you that they're gonna become some of your favorite and most wonderful memories. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Wonderful post, Ron. Every word you spoke is true. I never thought I'd own another dog. To be honest, I'm not man enough to put a dog down. When it's time for that, my wife and or my son drives the last ride to the vets. I did that once with my Brittany Lady. Frankly, I've never gotten over it.

I do the same as you. My dog points the bird and I'll come up to her and tell her, "find it". She/they have usually jumped in for the flush. Everyone tells me I'm doing it all wrong, but that's how we have fun.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Well... Steve, let me be totally "honest" as well.

I just COULDN'T put Fred "down"... so my oldest son did the "dirty deed" FOR me... and so, I'm not nearly as "brave" as you thought, eh, my friend?

Sorry to "disappoint", but sometimes... some things are just "too hard"... or hurt too much.

Obviously, like you... I've never "gotten-over-it", either.

Ron

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ron_T
Well... Steve, let me be totally "honest" as well.

I just COULDN'T put Fred "down"... so my oldest son did the "dirty deed" FOR me... and so, I'm not nearly as "brave" as you thought, eh, my friend?

Sorry to "disappoint", but sometimes... some things are just "too hard"... or hurt too much.

Obviously, like you... I've never "gotten-over-it", either.

Ron

No better friend than a loyal dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,977 guests, and 1,383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,659
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.