Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by GhettoSportsman
Makes me wonder if I shouldn't grab my carbine instead of the revolver for a defensive situation.

There's no wonder in that for me...carbine/rifle/shotgun, given the choice I'm going long gun. ...but would like a handgun along for the ride.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have a need for defense against two legged varmints, I don't think I ever will. I normally use mid range loads with cast 158's or jacketed 125's in my K frame - day to day. I'd rather have the 158's in cast bullets for almost any use. If I am in country where varmints are capable of biting me, scratching me or otherwise hurting me and I think I need something with more power, I'll go to the 44. In the 44 I don't hot rod loads any more either, no matter if it is a special, or magnum. Again cast bullets is my preference. I sometimes may buy jacketed for convenience. I consider jacketed bullets inferior in almost any situation, except in rifles where velocity is much higher than 2200 fps.

Last edited by Bugger; 10/22/14.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Bugger
I consider jacketed bullets inferior in almost any situation, except in rifles where velocity is much higher than 2200 fps.

Why is that? I've read and heard others say the same but have no idea why they feel that way!

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns! (from a 1960's bumper sticker)
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by squesh
what's comfortable about MISSING the attacker? cause that's what you'll probably do, when you have to fire without ear protection.

I feel like I've finally arrived, having been noticed by Gunkid.

Mathew 22: 37-39

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
125's are OK and have a great police record; but 158's have been more accurate in all my 357's. Also, 38 158's usually shoot to the same point of impact. For home defense I use Speer 135 Gold Dots; they seem to shoot about as accurately as 158's and have the same zero. 158 is my all around (plinking, hunting, competition, and self protection) weight.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by GunGeek
125's are great for defense, but not what I'd choose out in the field. 158's are great go anywhere, do anything loads. Nearly as effective as the 125's on two legged critters, and more effective on 4 legged critters. And in the 158 grain category, the XTP is one of my favorites; it's an excellent bullet.

The answer, man killer but not for deer or larger.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have no guns for protection and my 410 shotgun would be my first to grab, or the 12 but my revolvers are for hunting only so if I shot a BG I might take out my car too. A whole mag of nines can let you survive but one shot from my .475 will end it. Trouble is what is beyond my boolit. Not a problem here but I could kill my car. My boolits will go though a whole house.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I've got 125 xtp's loaded for both 357 and 38+P. For my Beretta 96 I've loaded some 155 Speer Gold Dots. I believe they should get the job done but hope I never really have to find out!

For those of you that prefer shotguns, what do you stuff em with? I've got mine stuffed with bird shot or slugs. I'm not real crazy about the slugs. Just seems like a carbine might be more accurate than slugs from a shotgun. Am I wrong? (It's been known to happen)lol

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns! (from a 1960's bumper sticker)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For those of you that prefer shotguns, what do you stuff em with? I've got mine stuffed with bird shot or slugs. I'm not real crazy about the slugs.

My current house has neighbors on 3 sides within 50yds. My HD shotgun is a Benelli M1 with an extended tube loaded with 4 RDS of 4 Buck followed by 4 RDS of OO buck.
The Side saddle has 3 more 00 Buck and 3 slugs.

My rationale is that with 4 buck any stray pellets have less of a chance of leaving my homes walls and 30 .24" pellets at HD ranges should work.

If the fight is prolonged or range increases 00 Buck and Slugs will work.

Last edited by MallardAddict; 10/27/14. Reason: 4 buck pellet count
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
For those of you that prefer shotguns, what do you stuff em with? I've got mine stuffed with bird shot or slugs. I'm not real crazy about the slugs.

My current house has neighbors on 3 sides within 50yds. My HD shotgun is a Benelli M1 with an extended tube loaded with 4 RDS of 4 Buck followed by 4 RDS of OO buck.
The Side saddle has 3 more 00 Buck and 3 slugs.

My rationale is that with 4 buck any stray pellets have less of a chance of leaving my homes walls and 41 .24" pellets at HD ranges should work.

If the fight is prolonged or range increases 00 Buck and Slugs will work.

WOW! I would say that should do the job alright!!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GS,
I got a smoking deal on the M1 as it's likely overkill for my AO. Had to swap parts to make it 922 compliant (no more then 10 imported "parts" if more then 1 of :fixed muzzle break, pistol grip or capacity over 5 RDS) which was done via the Surefire forend, Briley spring and follower.

After my post I went and looked at the current loads and had to edit. I forgot I swapped the 3" RDS for 2 3/4" managed recoil loads for the wife.

It currently has:
-4 Hevi-duty 2 3/4" 4 buck (30 frangible pellets)
-4 Fiocchi 2 3/4" 00 buck (9 pellets)

The saddle has:
-3 Fiocchi 2 3/4" 00 buck
-3 Federal 3" 1 1/4oz slugs.

Yeah I think it will suffice... <grin>

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
GS,
I got a smoking deal on the M1 as it's likely overkill for my AO. Had to swap parts to make it 922 compliant (no more then 10 imported "parts" if more then 1 of :fixed muzzle break, pistol grip or capacity over 5 RDS) which was done via the Surefire forend, Briley spring and follower.

After my post I went and looked at the current loads and had to edit. I forgot I swapped the 3" RDS for 2 3/4" managed recoil loads for the wife.

It currently has:
-4 Hevi-duty 2 3/4" 4 buck (30 frangible pellets)
-4 Fiocchi 2 3/4" 00 buck (9 pellets)

The saddle has:
-3 Fiocchi 2 3/4" 00 buck
-3 Federal 3" 1 1/4oz slugs.

Yeah I think it will suffice... <grin>

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks very much! You sure have put some thought and effort in that! (as it should be)
Makes my little 1300 Ranger look like a toy!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you kindly sir. My thought is that for things that go bump in the night and get ones heart rate up my first choice to defend my home is a 12 ga with the handguns for backup.

My wife shoots handguns well but between my work and hunting she spends some night solo. I've made the choice to give her the best options to defend herself and she shoots the Benelli well. Better yet she trusts it 110% as she has probably 3k RDS through her hunting Benelli and its familiar and comfortable to her.

Hell she demands it reside in the corner on her side of the bed. Lol

My old man swears by his 1300 for HD. He got a shorter barrel somewhere, got an extended tube (6+1 IIRC) with barrel clamp, sourced a spare stock set that he cut down the buttstock and bolted a short section of picatinny rail with a light via 1" Weaver scope ring to the front left side of the pump so he can trigger it with his left thumb. He figures he is into it for under $400 and 10 minutes and a few hand tools its back to bird mode.

May not be as pretty or gasp "tactical" (I hate that word) as my Benelli but sure the hell works just as well.

All the best.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thank you kindly sir. My thought is that for things that go bump in the night and get ones heart rate up my first choice to defend my home is a 12 ga with the handguns for backup.

My wife shoots handguns well but between my work and hunting she spends some night solo. I've made the choice to give her the best options to defend herself and she shoots the Benelli well. Better yet she trusts it 110% as she has probably 3k RDS through her hunting Benelli and its familiar and comfortable to her.

Hell she demands it reside in the corner on her side of the bed. Lol

My old man swears by his 1300 for HD. He got a shorter barrel somewhere, got an extended tube (6+1 IIRC) with barrel clamp, sourced a spare stock set that he cut down the buttstock and bolted a short section of picatinny rail with a light via 1" Weaver scope ring to the front left side of the pump so he can trigger it with his left thumb. He figures he is into it for under $400 and 10 minutes and a few hand tools its back to bird mode.

May not be as pretty or gasp "tactical" (I hate that word) as my Benelli but sure the hell works just as well.

All the best.

OMG a wife that shoots! can it get any better than that???
That 1300 of your dad's sounds very nice and affordable! Mine sits next to the bed along with a Beretta 96 and a S&W 686 plus! Flashlights, mags and speed loaders are within easy reach also! I also have a Kel-tec sub 2000 that uses the Beretta mags (40 S&W) where I can easily stumble over it. I like the idea of having both a carbine and handgun that uses the same mags and ammmo while I clear the house!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those sub 2000's just make sense as a HD gun and I agree with the mag compatibility being a nice bonus.

Somewhere in the safe is a S&W 5906 and a beat ass Marlin Camp 9 that was my truck gun. Thinking I have 4 or 5 20rd mags for it. Not sure the wife has ever shot either but you may be onto something.

As to the wife she is a keeper for sure. Went from 0 guns in 29 years of life to 7 by 31.

Here she is a few weeks ago shooting my M&P Pro Core 9 with Deltapoint. Oops I forgot she informed me it is "HERS" now and resides in her nightstand with a Surefire she "borrowed" off another of my pistols. 2 liter bottles are in serious danger at 150yds with her on its trigger so I would hate to be a burglar. (Her Tikka .308 is in the background and clays on the berm at 350 died fast)

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MallardAddict; 10/27/14. Reason: pic
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Those sub 2000's just make sense as a HD gun and I agree with the mag compatibility being a nice bonus.

Somewhere in the safe is a S&W 5906 and a beat ass Marlin Camp 9 that was my truck gun. Thinking I have 4 or 5 20rd mags for it. Not sure the wife has ever shot either but you may be onto something.

As to the wife she is a keeper for sure. Went from 0 guns in 29 years of life to 7 by 31.

Here she is a few weeks ago shooting my M&P Pro Core 9 with Deltapoint. Oops I forgot she informed me it is "HERS" now and resides in her nightstand with a Surefire she "borrowed" off another of my pistols. 2 liter bottles are in serious danger at 150yds with her on its trigger so I would hate to be a burglar. (Her Tikka .308 is in the background and clays on the berm at 350 died fast)

[Linked Image]

Hot Dang your a lucky fella! We used to try and get all the ladies we could out to the sportsman's club and try and get em interested in the steel shoots (or anything else they might be interested in). Never seemed to work to well but there was always a couple that would take the bait and really take off. It was great watching them improve every month and turn into excited members! Heck the range officers wife was one of the best shooters I've seen in a while! after a while they would jump into the bowling pin shoots, then the cowboy shoots! Lots of fun and lots of practice!

Yeah I wish I could take credit for the carbine handgun thing but that was something else I was exposed to at the club! Those guys cost me a small fortune but I loved every minute of it! lol

Thanks for all the great tips! I really appreciate it!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

169 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 280ACKIMP, 44mc, 35, 338rcm, 20 invisible), 1,325 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,223
Posts18,447,523
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.