Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Doc_Holliday
Only 4 as I will not shoot a calf and I have had to let many a cow go by that I could have easily downed except I have never been fortunate enough to draw a cow tag .
You know I have never felt undergunned while some of my buddies have to carry the latest super magnum and factory fodder to match.

regards
Doc

Sooooo, curious....Ive shot a number of deer with hard cast bullets and was pretty much underwhelmed. They always worked, but worked like what they are, solids. Do you try for brain or CNS shots or shoot through the heart and lungs and wait for the bullet to do its work?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hopefully this one. 1895 .405. It's inbound now to my dealer so I won't have it for another week. Time to hunt for ammo.

[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tmitch
Hopefully this one. 1895 .405. It's inbound now to my dealer so I won't have it for another week. Time to hunt for ammo.

[Linked Image]

Did you say hunt the Alamo, or owe my shoulder is going to hurt?? whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If only they had these at the Alamo..... with lots of ammo!
I put a box of factory Hornady through a Browchester .405 high wall with the crescent butt a couple years ago and didn't find it too bad (or I forgot). The shotgun butt on this one should help and I use a slip on pad for range use with my hard butt/hard kickers.
I'm pretty pumped to get it, it's been my "Holy Grail" Winchester for quite awhile.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pretty cool tmitch. Looks extremely clean and well cared for. Keep us posted on that one..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe just maybe we can stop talking about "hard cast bullets" and start a thread in some other section far away so we can get back to what Winchester we are hunting with this year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good find! Ya gonna change yer Campfire handle to troosevelt at some point in the future?

smirk

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K

[Linked Image]

Well done!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Odessa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel

25-35 takedown...

[Linked Image]

I like that!

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
BSA
Well, I got my fingers crossed. I took a chance that everything's "right" about it but you never know till it's in your hands. A couple things look a little questionable, however I paid "shooter" price so I'm sure I'll be okay with it from what I've seen.

dubePA
Not gonna change my handle, but I do blame TR for this one! There's no season here for lions so I'll try and see if it's a "medicine gun" for scrawny whitetails! crazy

Charter Member

szihn

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Pretty .405.

We can thank Hornady for giving us affordable brass, bullets and ammo. Ammo and components are out there and it doesn't take a max load to kill a deer (or just about anything else).

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Yowza! That is a beaut, I don't have any 95's and haven't for a number of reasons, but that would be a reason to get one...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Same as always, the Model 70 Featherweight in 7x57.

μολὼν λαβέ
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Yowza! That is a beaut, I don't have any 95's and haven't for a number of reasons, but that would be a reason to get one...

Thanks Shrapnel. Coming from Mr. "I-have-more-cool-rifles-than-Carter-has-liver-pills" that's quite a compliment! I hope it lives up to my expectations when I get it. (I say that out of jealousy)^^

Charter Member

szihn

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

After I saw your rifle, I started looking for an octagon 38-72 or 40-72. I wouldn't mind getting a nice 1895 in one of those calibers. 405 wouldn't be bad either, but I would still prefer the 38 or 40...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I looked at few .40-72s including a nice flat side pistol grip, but the ones in my price range had toasted bores. There's a decent .40 on Gunbroker now, you've probably seen it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=448656286

Charter Member

szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I looked at few .40-72s including a nice flat side pistol grip, but the ones in my price range had toasted bores. There's a decent .40 on Gunbroker now, you've probably seen it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=448656286

No reason to overpay. B.C. Miroku made some for Winchester and Browning in cals: .405, .30-06 and possibly some others. Prices used to be around $1000 though I think they have risen some in not so distant past. Another neat one I have seen had short tubular magazine and was chambered for fat rimmed cartridge called .348. Different model but still very nice Japanese rendition of old Winchester classic.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
"Made in Japan" stamped on the barrel of a classic lever gun makes me wanna puke.

JMO YMMV

Charter Member

szihn

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
"Made in Japan" stamped on the barrel of a classic lever gun makes me wanna puke.

JMO YMMV

Yep, makes me sick too. I will be hunting with a S.C. made model 70 in .270 WSM. Love that gun!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
6 digit 30-06 classic sporter cerakoted sniper grey, 4.5-14x42 Burris FFII in medium Talley lightweights, brown stone painted glass bedded factory Tupperware stock, 1" decelerator recoil pad and it shoots better than I do:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Excuse the crappy pictures. Taken with my Garmin Oregon 550..

BSA MAGA
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
530 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.