Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey guys. I trapped some in high school so I'm not a total FNG, but I've been out of it quite a while. The coyotes and bobcats seem to be running all over us on some of my deer hunting places so I thought I'd get back into it a little. My son will enjoy tagging along as well so I thought it would be a good time. Where would you guys suggest I look for getting set back up? Also, when I did it before I ran some long spring traps my dad had. I see a lot of coil spring traps online, but have no experience. What would you guys recommend as far as size and long spring or coil?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LOTS of videos on Youtube of coyotes and bobcats...

Been thinking about getting back into trapping myself. Have a herd of dang coyotes skirting the property behind the barn. Almost live in town, not way out in the stix. Need to be thinned out.

I'm thinking some of those 2's coilsprings with offset jaws might be the way to go since there's a small possibility of catching a dog.

These guys have some good videos on youtube...

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
#3 coil springs, MB 550 or Mb 650 seem like pretty good traps. I am also using #3 bridgers.Offsets are required in OK, mine are modified or "canadian" style with laminated jaws and baseplates. Using earth anchors instead of the old school re bar stakes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trapperman.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by coyotes
#3 coil springs, MB 550 or Mb 650 seem like pretty good traps. I am also using #3 bridgers.Offsets are required in OK, mine are modified or "canadian" style with laminated jaws and baseplates. Using earth anchors instead of the old school re bar stakes.

same here, love the Bridger #3 for yotes and cats. and with the heavier trap they don't seem to fight it as much and cause foot damage.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I use the new Bridger 1.75 that comes already base plated, center ringed, and night latched on my "Combo" line where I expect anything from Coons to Fox, to Coyote's. With the OS jaws, and the other mods already done at the factory, it's a great trap at $8.75! A dozen will set you back about $97 at F&T Trading post.

I also run the MB-650's for my Coyote only sets......they are serious songdog medicine! However, they will run you about $24 each.....but if you do buy them, make sure to order the setters for them as well. With 4 coil springs, they are a handful! LOL

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't set for 'yotes I use the #1.75 Vics for
everything. I set for bobcat and catch some + fox,
coon, grinners.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
#2 and #3 longsprings for me, on all land animals.

#11 if setting for coon specifically.

#1 1/2 in water for muskrat, coon, mink.

I dislike coil springs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If anyone is loking for MB 550 or 650's I saw them at a great price at Scheels in Billings yesterday.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Trapperman.com

X 10 ...more info available there in the archives and posts than you'll ever have time to read if you want to get any trapping done. smile great resource.

give www.minntrapprod.com a try for supplies. Great people, great service.

Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You guys use lures? I was thinking about making some post sets.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I make every set for bobcat, aware I might catch anything.
I hang about a 1" strip of linen on a limb near the set.
The strip blows in the wind for a visual and I dip the linen
ends in Wayne Derrick's bobcat lure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trapperman is also full of idiots and blowhards, I would avoid that place like the plague! Its just a hangout for a crook and his cronies to play god and rule with an iron fist. The guys on the wilderness side are cool though, and they will give out good advice without just telling you to "look through the archives before asking a stupid question".

Don't listen to AKTrapper26, he doesn't know what he is talking about, right Brandon? Haha, just kidding buddy. Seriously though I would avoid that website at all costs, at least the main forums. The archives do hold a lot of good info though.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
It is true. You can't cuss or tell everybody
GFY on trapperman.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Trapperman is also full of idiots and blowhards, I would avoid that place like the plague! Its just a hangout for a crook and his cronies to play god and rule with an iron fist. The guys on the wilderness side are cool though, and they will give out good advice without just telling you to "look through the archives before asking a stupid question".

Don't listen to AKTrapper26, he doesn't know what he is talking about, right Brandon? Haha, just kidding buddy. Seriously though I would avoid that website at all costs, at least the main forums. The archives do hold a lot of good info though.

TMan's no different than any other hunting forum.

Most of the internet consists of newbie's getting bad advice from posers with a sprinkiling of truth here and there. You just need to use the brain god gave you and sift through the chaff.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What type of trap/pan covers do you guys like to use? My dad just used old canvas, but I see there's new latex and other stuff out now.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm three years ahead of you - i.e. I did get back into trapping for the exact reasons you just said.

I'll share what I did - and what I wish I had done.

1) buy good traps, or modify the ones you have.

Originally I bought Bridger #3's for yotes, and bobcats - after modifying those I found out I could have bought better traps like the MB550's. THEN I found Jack traps - which are pricey but are the top of the line and best all around trap.

2) how many traps to buy

Originally I would put one at a dirt hole or scent post set - then I found out that it works better if you put 2-3 traps at intersection points where fields meet, pond damns, ... so now I do 4 sets with 3 traps each.. The first year I bought 6 traps.. not a good idea... Now I have a dozen Jake traps, and the original 6.

3) Bait - I keep the blood shot meat from my deer each year and grind it up, then put some dubbin's bait solution on it after letting it set and taint a while... all good.

4) Dying and waxing traps ..

Many traps need to rust a bit so they take color, and to dye them you have to boil them. I used oven cleaner to remove the oil they put on the traps at the factory, then after that's cleaned off I spray them with water & vinegar and let them set out in the lawn a week so they get a nice light coating of rust.

I then boil them in logwood trap dye, and then let them dry off.
Once dry I put them in wax to coat them well - you have to leave the trap in the wax to heat up or the coat you get is too thick.

I do both of these operations in turkey fryer post.

5) Pan tension -
2.5-3 lbs of tension is what you want for yotes

6) Night latching cheaper traps - somewhat like a set trigger, it requires some file-ing on the pan catch, and dog.

7) Gloves and Scent - plus a sifter.

8) Disposable stakes - all good, I recommend wolf brand earth anchors.

I get most of my supplies from www.fntpost.com, but there are other sites.

feel free to PM me if you have other questions, and or I'll check this thread from time to time

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
What type of trap/pan covers do you guys like to use? My dad just used old canvas, but I see there's new latex and other stuff out now.

I don't use pan covers, I just put some small sticks on top of my set that helps guide their foot onto the pan.

I do however put some pillow duff like material under the pan to make sure the dirt doesn't get under the pan so it won't trigger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with what hank is saying. Dobbins is a tool, IMO. Some good folks on the wilderness forum though.

Eat moose, burn spruce
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sorry to hear Paul Dobbins pissed in y'all's
cheerios. Explain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1936M71, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,536
Posts18,453,048
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.