Print Thread
Hop To
B
bkraft Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Looking at a Green Mountain, anyone have experience with 'em, or any other brand for that matter?

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
No experience with them but have lots of buddies who swear by the Traegers. I think if I were to ever try one it would be a Yoder brand. They just look like they're built right. Have you considered a ceramic komado cooker?

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Only person that would buy a pellet cooker is the same someone that would actually hug a jackass!! laugh

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Have a Treager and will NEVER go back to charcoal.

This thing cooks awesome!

Virgil B.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pellet cookers are the true "set it and forget it" cooker. My only complaint is that they don't get enough smoke into the meat. That's an easy fix though with the addition of a smoke generator.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc
Only person that would buy a pellet cooker is the same someone that would actually hug a jackass!! laugh

Pucker up dood. Diggin' my Traeger.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
blush

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dad, Bro in law, and aunt/uncle all have Traegers. They've turned out some good food. I agree they don't put as much smoke out as what I do on my outhouse wood over propane smoker does, which isn't as good as what the traditionalists think they have. smile

My college buddy has a Yoder. He says its built like a Sherman tank and has had no issues with it.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They don't have a fire either do they? Just seems to me that if you're gonna' cook pig you have to have a fire. Know what I mean pitmasters??

WTH maybe I'll buy one. It's about the only cooker I don't already have. Better get a long extension cord and keep my power bill paid as well. wink

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc

laugh

Well if I don't give ya a hug who will? Eggheads need love too!

My Traeger will smoke the hell out of meat. And yes, it has an actual fire.

They really are the lazy man's bbq toy. Set it and forget it.

I love it, but I still want a BGE. I also speculate that if I had one, I'd sell the Traeger.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
grin so to simply compliment a BGE, which one would you buy Mark or Denny?

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How much meat are you wanting to cook at a time?

I got the Texas sized which can do more than my family can eat. I'll text ya some pictures so you have an idea.

I got it that size so I could host bigger events like birthday parties for teenaged boys, work parties, and Thanksgiving.

If you're just cooking for you and a couple of others, the next size down would still handle a lot of meat.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have the Green Mountain Daniel Boone model. It is a set it and forget smoker but like Bowhunr said there is not a lot of smoke taste in the meat when done.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Charcoal isn't real big up here in Alberta, so when my propane grill packed it in (a cheap one after my good one was stolen) I got a Traeger. A buddy had one and raved about it. We absolutely love our traeger. Cooked meals for lots of folks and 6 other families have bought one as a direct result.

Only issue we have is keeping heat up if it's really windy or cold. Traeger makes a blanket that covers the unit which definitely helps. The dealer I bought from was so confident that he had a loaner you could try out before you bought.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RecTec Grills smoke Treagers. these guys used to work for Treager, and they make an awesome pellet grill. I have had one for over a year and they are built like a tank. Their service is outstanding.

http://www.rectecgrills.com/

If you want a great pellet grill, the RecTec is it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 43 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,513
Posts18,452,664
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.