Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You may be right....but I think I am.

When Wal-Mart or Gander Mountain or Academy has it in stock.....it's WAY cheaper than you can buy it on a classified forum or at a gun show from somebody that paid the cheaper price and is scalping it. I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm saying people are dumbazzes for paying $50 or $60 for a brick or bulk pack of cheap .22 LR when all they have to do is quit paying it for awhile and the guys that are doing the marking up will stop.

That's all I'm saying.

I'll never drive around to 10 different places to get a few boxes of .22. I'll shoot 223 or whatever else. I'm stocked up on rimfire and my kids are still shooting it up. They're just shooting single shot Remington bolts now instead of 10/22's with 25-rd mags.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Cheyenne,

All the fact that SOME people pay scalper prices proves is that SOME people feel locked-in somehow, whether by only knowing one way to shop for rimfire ammo, or by never keeping much around before the shortage hit. It doesn't prove anything about the "real" market price, anymore than somebody who buys a scope for $100 more than they could have bought it for elsewhere proves that's the real price of that scope. It all depends on how much somebody feels they need the ammo or the scope.

I have paid $50 or more for a brick of .22 Long Rifle in the past couple of years, but only for target ammo, not plinking ammo, or hollow-points. And there are other people I know who can say the same thing. Does that "prove" that's the real market price? No, not anymore than people who pay $60 for a brick of Thunderbolts.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with that to some extent. The market price is the price at which one can readily find something without going to a whole lot of trouble. A person who pays more than that is paying an above market price. A savvy shopper who can locate hard to find stuff at good prices is actually getting it at a below market price. If demand is too high for supply to catch up at the price offered, the price is probably too low, or below market price.

I dollar cost average and shop around. I certainly would not pay Gunbroker prices for bulk pack. But, there are some other factors that influence the amount that I will pay. For example, I may pay more per box/brick to get more of the exact type of ammo I already have on hand because I know how my gun(s) shoot it, which makes it a better value than to buy something that may not work as well.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't agree with that at all. Gun nuts can and do find cheaper rates on most anything. But that stuff can be turned for a profit almost instantly.

Joe Take My Kid to the Range Tomorrow isn't going to fugg with that schit. He's gonna pay $60.00. $60.00 for a brick of 22LR was the going rate a few months ago. I'd say it's about $50.00 now.

Yes some locales have more supply than others. But I'm talking nationwide, overall.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 257heaven
You may be right....but I think I am.

When Wal-Mart or Gander Mountain or Academy has it in stock.....it's WAY cheaper than you can buy it on a classified forum or at a gun show from somebody that paid the cheaper price and is scalping it. I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm saying people are dumbazzes for paying $50 or $60 for a brick or bulk pack of cheap .22 LR when all they have to do is quit paying it for awhile and the guys that are doing the marking up will stop.

That's all I'm saying.

I'll never drive around to 10 different places to get a few boxes of .22. I'll shoot 223 or whatever else. I'm stocked up on rimfire and my kids are still shooting it up. They're just shooting single shot Remington bolts now instead of 10/22's with 25-rd mags.

I agree with you. And I won't pay it either. But the reality is most consumers are not you and I. I have spoken to more than one casual shooter in the past year that was stunned to discover you couldn't buy 22LR. So what do they do? They ask where to find it, and when they find it, they fuggin' buy it.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Market price isn't a definite number, it's a range- Then if you want to be real nerdy, you you can make a graph of prices versus amunt sold at that price- All of which has about as much meaning as comparitive sectional densities of shotgun slugs

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Fred, you never were good at ballistic gack and minutae..... grin

Last edited by ingwe; 10/24/14.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Joe Take My Kid to the Range Tomorrow isn't going to fugg with that schit. He's gonna pay $60.00. $60.00 for a brick of 22LR was the going rate a few months ago. I'd say it's about $50.00 now.

And two years into this insanity, there are still lots of folks that have no clue about a shortage.

I encounter some now and then at our club ranges, stunned thatcha can't just waltz into a Walmart, Dick's or an LGS and come out with a little box of 22 ammo now.

If they do stumble onto some, then they're upset that it now costs twice what it did a few years ago.

Regulars at the range generally just shake their heads when this happens, for some reason?

whistle

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sheister
From Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabelas, and BiMart to every other store that used to have good supplies of ammo- none of them can get more than a few boxes a week. Not cases like usual.

So, where the heck is all of that production going? Something stinks here....

Bob

Bob, my wife bought a Ruger SP22 handgun from Sportsman's Warehouse and the sales guy pulled a brick of Rem. Thunderbolts out from under the counter and asked if she needed any ammo...$26/box. On the return visit, to actually pick up the gun (waiting period), I asked if they had any .22 ammo, and since a different sales guy handled the transaction, he turned to a different clerk and said "go pull a brick out of my stash".

So, based on this experience, the stores ARE getting ammo, but the monkeys behind the counter are grabbing it (at wholesale prices, I'm sure).

Last edited by 3584ELK; 10/24/14.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
Originally Posted by Sheister
From Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabelas, and BiMart to every other store that used to have good supplies of ammo- none of them can get more than a few boxes a week. Not cases like usual.

So, where the heck is all of that production going? Something stinks here....

Bob

Bob, my wife bought a Ruger SP22 handgun from Sportsman's Warehouse and the sales guy pulled a brick of Rem. Thunderbolts out from under the counter and asked if she needed any ammo...$26/box. On the return visit, to actually pick up the gun (waiting period), I asked if they had any .22 ammo, and since a different sales guy handled the transaction, he turned to a different clerk and said "go pull a brick out of my stash".

So, based on this experience, the stores ARE getting ammo, but the monkeys behind the counter are grabbing it (at wholesale prices, I'm sure).

Sometimes the "monkeys" behind the counter are holding on to it to sell when someone wants to buy a .22. It's kinda hard to sell guns if the customer can't find ammo.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A nice older monkey woman behind the counter told me they were getting a shipment in tonight and if I came in tomorrow morning, I could get 1,000 rounds. She read off a list to me and there were even some CCI's on it. Of course, I won't be there tomorrow because I already have enough 22LR ammo.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dealer has had some off and on. His prices are comparable to Wally World prices. That being siad, it's still higher than the "good ol' days". However, so is everything else. Give inflation a chance. 3% for 30 years means everything basically doubles in price over that time frame. My grandfather bought his first new car back in the 30's. $600.... of course he only made $1200 that year. I wonder what .22 ammunition was in say 1935?
You young guys better be planning your retirement funding now........
What Things Cost in 1935:
Car: $580
Gasoline: 19 cents/gal
House: $6,300
Bread: 8 cents/loaf
Milk: 47 cents/gal
Postage Stamp: 3 cents
Stock Market: 144
Average Annual Salary: $1,500

Of course the cars had no air conditioning, CD players, Blue Tooth, GPS, ETC............

Last edited by John_Boy; 10/31/14.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
And life expectancy was 58 for men.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yuma gunshow this morning, several guys had bricks of .22 ammo, prices down to an average of about 32 bucks, down from 60-70 6 months ago. Nobody buying. laugh

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jnyork
Yuma gunshow this morning, several guys had bricks of .22 ammo, prices down to an average of about 32 bucks, down from 60-70 6 months ago. Nobody buying. laugh

Dang you headed south already?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, we been here since the 21st. All the leaves were down off the aspens, there was morning frost on windshield and Ace Hardware was having a sidewalk sale on snowblowers, time to head south. laugh

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dang snowbirds anyway! laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I pick up a couple of boxes of Aquila from academy every so often. nothing at 3 different walmarts in nearly forever. one would think with their purchasing power they could force some into their stores. they do have a 3 box limit here but nothing on the shelves in the way of rimfire.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw CCI mini-mags here 9.99/100. What are you guys seeing? This was at a retail.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Local shop had mini mags for 13.99.

But to be fair, his entire shop is overpriced.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

422 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 257_X_50, 39 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.