Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I started with a LH BDL in .270 ever so many years ago. I have generally avoided RH guns ever since, although I did buy one of the RH Tikka .223 8 twist that Sportsman's Warehouse was selling. A RH gun for bench use is really no handicap. I have a dedicated BR rifle on a Stolle Panda that is LBRP, which is a pretty handy combination for a lefty, better than the LBLP used for hunting rifle.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I am lefty, and have several left-hand bolt guns .....but also VERY much enjoy my early Mannlicher Schoenauer carbines. One of them has a factory left-hand stock.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I might , maybe have a couple RH bolt guns around but they are so far back in the safe that I forget what they are.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Two years ago I lost the vision in my right (shooting) eye. All my rifles were custom builds as I was a Custom Gunsmith before I retired. Most of the stocks were custom designed for me so they no longer fit. Hence, many friends and relatives lucked out. Tried shooting RH but to slow etc. so I have now switched to LH rifles. Why, because there many quality LH rifles on the market today. I have a Tikka 7 mag, a Ruger 7mm-08, a Browning 7 mag auto and a Savage 308. It took a little getting use to but I'm getting better with them all the time. Try it, you'll like it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My last right handed rifle went out the door this week, to its new owner. I will only buy lefties now, I don't know what I was thinking all these years.

How many of you fellow lefties thought it was the most awkward thing in the world the first time you loaded a left handed rifle?

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Well ... it seems that the selection of LH bolt rifles is not as generous as RH rifles ... sort of a given. Life in the big city for us lefties. I guess I have been somewhat lucky (or patient) over the years. I have the following in LH: Weatherby 7mm., Sako 75 Hunter .30-06, Tikka Hunter 9.3 x 62 and CZ 550 Safari in .375 H&H. More luck than anything else ... being in the right place at the right time ... and having the few extra bucks to buy when the opportunity arose. What sort of sucks is that some manufacturers, (e.g. CZ), actually charge more for a LH model. Go figure?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's the way of the world... wink

Are ya buyin' one? They're more expensive 'cause they're rare!

Are ya sellin' one? They ain't worth as much as a right hand rifle 'cause there's no market for'em, no one buys'em!

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I have my eye on a RH CZ 416 Rigby. Used ... but only about 40 rounds through it. Like new. It is next to nothing. I don't think Ruger makes a LH 416. Dakota may make a LH 416 .... but we are talking big $$$$. I may just go ahead and go RH.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by ftbt

I may just go ahead and go RH.

Don't do it. Not for a big bore.

The cast on a RH stock will be all wrong for a lefty, and may play hob with how it handles recoil. In addition, part of the reason (real or imagined) for owning a big bore is a quick second shot. Tough for this lefty to do with a RH bolt. Take an action you already have a spin a barrel on it. .416 Rigby could be tricky, but a .416 Ruger should not be.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
You are 100% correct about the RH stock. However, the rifle is so cheap, I was thinking about getting a LH stock made to fit the RH action. I have seen them pre-made, but of course, not for a CZ 416! You make a good point about a quick follow-up shot. (Of course that is why you have a PH backing you with a 458 Lott.) I think I could get a somewhat decent stock (nothing fancy, but effective) and have it pillar-bedded for $1,000.00 or less, and have a total into the rifle of around $1,500.00 ... maybe a bit less. A new wood stock RH CZ 416 Rigby is around $1,300.00, but they don't make them in LH.

Want vs. Need argument going on in my head at the moment.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by kk alaska
To me its about safety, one bad eye incident and I am very hesitant to shoot a RH rifle any more. You can buy a lot of LH rifles for the cost of one eye!

What Kurt said. I have not owned a right handed bolt rifle since 1976 and have no plans to start now. If there is a must have caliber and it isn't made in a lefty then I will have it built or buy another barrel for my Blaser R8.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Kurt's eye incident makes me more than a little nervous about my old 35 Whelen, a model 70 converted to left hand operation. It still ejects off the right side. I've never had a case failure with it but it could happen.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whew, boy, at 61, I shoot both, I have 3 left handed bolts,Two Tikka SS lites in 270 wsm and 300 wsm, and a model 700 in 7 mag. and a BLR in 06. All of my other bolts are right handed. I need a left handed bolt in a light caliber now.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Two weeks ago my 10yr old took his first deer with my right hand model 70 in 257 Roberts shooting lefty. I found a lefty 257 Roberts in a savage 110 so I can get my gun back. Hopefully he will be like the others and fall in love with the lefty model.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hey Aggie, go 7mm-08. Lots of good lefties in this caliber out there. I have a Ruger Hawkeye leftie in this and it is a tac driver. Don't know why I didn't get a Tikka but am happy with the Ruger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
like others, grew up using right handed bolt rifles

but shortly after turning 18 I bought my first Rem 700 in 7 mm mag

still have it, but ah she's had some gastric bypass surgery and wears a synthetic stock

all the rifle I needed for years and then screwed up and lost out on a lh .375 after moving to AK, ended up with a lh .338

still have a hankering for a .375 but doubt it's an itch that'll get scratched in this lifetime. if I got a bigger bore now I'd likely just go up to .416

added a .223 in CDL and a Nula in 7mm-08 over the years

so truthfully I'm set for rifles I need.

tho I have been tempted to buy the lh T3 in aught six, as I've never owned one and my boy has the rh'ed version. I like those lil Tikka's personally.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ran into a fella at a LGS yesterday, nice guy. Some gray on the mountain and up on the around the edges, kinda like me. We talk, and turns out he's state cowboy champ from years prior. And yeah, he's LH'ed.

We trade pics and had a nice conversation. Learned a lot about refinishing old or damaged guns, and reloading and speed loading left handed.

For the RH'ed shotgunner, his advice on quick reloads was "turn the gun over." To clarify, rotate the gun 1/4 turn. Easier, flat reload.

passing on the knowledge.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://rugerforum.net/ruger-bolt-action/116999-discontinued-hawkeyes.html

Just stumbled across this today. Glad I got mine when I did.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep. Ruger doesn't hold anything too dear, if it isn't selling.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ive done it all my life, I now have about 4 left handed bolts, but dont ever get in front of me if I need to hit you with a right handed bolt, basically , it teaches us leftys to hit our target with the first shot...............

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
98 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, Akpilot, 13 invisible), 1,752 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,720
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.