Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have 1 and it's great! Especially good when you have a bunch of fish to cut and animals to butcher,,a pile of sharp knives makes the job go faster.

I tend to use more than enough gun
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Several years ago, my daughter gave me an Edge Pro Apex sharpener for my birthday. It has proven the best sharpening method I have ever used. Perfect results every time.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
2L2Q, you are probably right. Dogs and children like me but tools and devices w/ 2 or more moving parts do not. Unfortunately I am compulsive about finding new ways to screw things up.Who wants to live forever?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have the big boy version, Bader 2X72. I can see where that tool could be useful to reprofile a blade but an inexperienced hand could just as easily ruin one.

Most factory knives have too thick of a grind with a steep secondary angle. Once the secondary is worn off you have an edge too thick to sharpen well. Reprofiling can really help most factory edges. It's a lot easier however to do this by convexing the edge with the belt turning away from the edge. Personally, I would not sharpen an edge on a belt grinder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take your choice, 11 1/2" replacements are nice for home use.

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Norton-C25.aspx

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by lvmiker
2L2Q, you are probably right. Dogs and children like me but tools and devices w/ 2 or more moving parts do not. Unfortunately I am compulsive about finding new ways to screw things up.Who wants to live forever?

mike r

lol...

Thanks for taking one for the team, but you're not the Mike Randy was slamming! wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
OOPS. I thought I was the only Mike on earth.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I've got one Mike. You are more than welcome to borrow it and see if you like it. I've used it a few times now and it works really good on the kitchen knives.

Last edited by Snorkel; 10/24/14.

We fight not for glory,nor for wealth,nor honor but only and alone we fight for freedom which no good man surrenders but with his life.
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
That would great, thanks. Drop it at CPH?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I have one and I think it is worth every cent it cost.

They don't remove all that much metal. The coarse belts aren't used except to cut the edge initially. I use the fine frequently as a touch up.

Good machine...

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
IB, I am glad you caught that one. Snorkel's offer was too generous not to respond to but, Alaska is a long way to go to sharpen an axegrin

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I work tomorrow from 730-4 if you want to stop by. If not I will bring it to work with me on Tuesday and hand it off to your wife.

We fight not for glory,nor for wealth,nor honor but only and alone we fight for freedom which no good man surrenders but with his life.
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Tues is fine. Won't be able to get there tomorrow. Thanks!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I bought one because I can't seem to keep the same angle to any sharpener I have ever used. It does work, I just don't want to use the more abrasive belts and over grind the blade. It is simple to use...
I think the inability to keep the same angle is the problem 95% of us have. I sure do. I use a Lansky type sharpener just for that reason.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have one. There is a hazard: Do NOT pull the tip of a sharp pointed blade across the belt. The belt will wrap around that tip and kiss it off faster than you can blink! (ruined a Shun pairing knife) Just stop while the tip is still more than half way across the belt.

It WILL take a lot of metal off but that's up to the user. It makes sharpening knives so fast. Think about it, the finish is with a 6000 grit belt! All you need after that is a quick strop and you can pop hairs off your hand with any blade. Some blades like Shuns and fillet knives are flat on one side, easy to tell but remember that because that's what gives them the finer/easier cutting ability. All you have to do on these is sharpen the one side, kiss the bead off the flat side by buffing the blade flat with the angle guard removed.

I even sharpened all the scissors in the house with this thing, they are strikingly sharp. My brother's an electrical contractor, he was visiting and we were farting around in the garage when he spotted the Worksharp and asked about it. He pulled out his beat up multi-tool. In five minutes, it was back to crazy sharp, even the scissors. The scissors were especially gnarled up as he cuts wire and other stuff with them all of the time. I used the course belt to dress the edge back into shape, take off the damage, and put the angle back on it. Used the purple/6000 grit belt to put the edge back. Crazy sharp once again!

I took my favorite axe to the Worksharp. It had quite a few trees chopped with it at camp and had hit dirt and rocks more than a few times. I took the course belt to it, took the damage off, then the sharpening belt, then the 6000 grit. Just for fun, I stropped it after that, you can shave with this axe after only ten minutes work!

To keep an edge, I use the Hunter's Hone. Knives last a long time this way as all you're doing is putting the edge back straight. I wouldn't be caught without it in the field!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Mike - I really like mine. Bring some knives out and give one test run. We could even add a trail ride and mug or three of beer to the afternoon..

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Sweet talker.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
No.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The only and best, IMHO, way to keep knives sharp if you use knives instead of Havalon...

Paper/cardboard wheels on a grinder. They are quick and flat azz razors' edge in a minute or two with little work.

Being its diamond grit with wax to keep cool and then a buffing compound I've not had a blade get to hot either.

Only use ours on our boning/sausage knives in years though due to Havalon in the field.

They are dangerous so if you do... turn the grinder around and let it spin away from you only. And be careful around the tip, thats what it wants to grab if you are not careful and will flip the knife away from you, hence running it backwards... if not it would or could flip it right into you... at what a grinder is??1700 RPMS?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was never consistent on keeping the right angle, but wasn't real impressed with clamp on guides either. Got a Spyderco Sharpmaker earlier this year and wish I had bought one years ago since perpendicular to the table is easy enough to eyeball. Well worth the money for sharpening just about anything(standard grinds, scandi, scissors, and straight razors can be done on it) other than a convex grind which is best done with a mousepad and sandpaper in my experience.

It is simple, it works, it fast, should last nearly for ever, and cleans up with scouring powder and a Scotch Brite pad or even sand in a pinch will get the metal fouling out of the stones. Top notch piece of gear.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 19rabbit52, 72 invisible), 3,098 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.