Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Forgive me if this has been covered before but clothing is always changing and search engines in forums leave a lot to be desired so I am asking here for updated information and opinions.

I have an elk hunt in Montana in 2016 and am looking for advise on clothing. The hunt will be the first week in October and camp is at 9000 feet. Over the years I have hunted Canada, Newfoundland, and Colorado so I know what to expect for terrain but dressing for the ever changing weather is another story.

I realize this is very personal and opinionated but for those that live it every day, or spend those countless hours in pursuit of elk, what do you recommend for clothing? My current gear is a mix and match of everything known to man - I would like a complete layering system that is practical and effective.

Thanks for the help,
Dan

"Any inanimate object will just sit there until a person picks it up.
What they do with it depends on what kind of respect they've
been taught for human life"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Be prepared for heat, and snow. Good chance you will see both during the week.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It could be 80 degrees or 0 degrees, so you have to come prepared for both

1) Warmer days:
uninsulated/gore tex boots
merino wool socks and long johns
flannel or microtex shirt
blue jeans or micortex pants
packable raingear
uninsulated hat

2) Colder days
insulated/goretex boots
merino wool socks and long johns
wool or thinsulate pants
flannel shirt/down vest/insulated jacket
packable rain gear
wool mittens
warm hat

Last edited by txhunter58; 10/24/14.

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Watch for frostbite in the morning and night, work on your tan during the day.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just remember the old adage....Cotton Kills
Get damp and it takes long to dry out, catch a chill breeze and you are cold. If its on your core it can be rough, this comes from experience.

Synthetic or merino base layers. My likes are wool shirts, lightweight and medium for colder. They dry better are warm and don't seem to hold as much stink on multi day hunts.

your mileage may vary, jmho
Best of luck on your hunt, planning is all part of the fun.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm cornfused... What is it, really? Cotton kills? Or, Cotton is the fabric of our lives?....

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the info guys.

Is anyone using the "systems" like Sitka, First Lite, or Kuiu?

They are a bit pricey for me but curious if they are all they say they are?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
<snork>

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Milsurp wool DRESS pants. Not the heavy cargo pocket ones but the lighter weight dress type. They're light enough to wear up to 70F, will keep you comfortable down to 25 or 30 as they are, and with polypro long johns, are good to 0 or so. They're cheap, very durable, and ugly, but are the best pants I've ever found.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take a look at Cabelas microtex or whatever they call their brand for pants at least. Reasonably priced and hold up very well. Stay away from denim jeans and as mentioned it can be cold and lots of snow and/or in the 60-70 degree range at that elevation during mid day.

I personally HATE long johns and would rather be a touch cold than over heated. Plan to carry a pack and be able to add or shed a layer or two as needed.

Life is just one damned thing after another
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deadeyedan

"Systems" are probably a good way to roll if you can afford it but I've basically pieced my bunch of duds together-and from August to November I wear...

Icebreaker 1/4 zip merino as my base layer.

Marmot 1/4 zip fleece over that (take it off when I hike usually)

Pants- Cabelas MicroTex

And I carry a First Lite Uncompahgre and then my rain gear in the lid of my pack.

If I'm getting into later October and November mule deer hunts I will add synthetic long underwear and maybe another insulating shirt under my IceBreaker merino, but I hike and move a lot, so I stay pretty light on clothing. That "system" worked well for me in Alaska, and in Colorado.

It might not look as cool as a full on Kuiu or Sitka "system" but then again I'm no mountain athlete or Pro-Staffer...grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

No, and No. There is no reason to pay those prices. I have a couple of Sitka pieces that were bought at 60% off, but while the quality is good, it doesn't merit their regular price

The places you can't skimp on are boots, long johns and rain gear. Just remember that long johns purpose is NOT to keep you warm, but to wick moisture away and keep you dry. When hiking in the mountains, you will sweat. I will agree that cotton would kill if we are talking long johns and socks.

So if you have good boots, a good base layer, and good rain gear, the middle layers are just personal choice

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

The places you can't skimp on are boots, long johns and rain gear.

So if you have good boots, a good base layer, and good rain gear, the middle layers are just personal choice

I've got Danner pronghorn boots but with years of wearing them, there is still a hotspot above my ankle right in front on one leg - other recommendations for boots?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I really like my First Lite merino base layers , and I wear Columbia wool pants and a med weight wool shirt, Dahlgreen alpaca wool socks and Hanwag boots and I stay pretty comfortable!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Milsurp wool DRESS pants. Not the heavy cargo pocket ones but the lighter weight dress type. They're light enough to wear up to 70F, will keep you comfortable down to 25 or 30 as they are, and with polypro long johns, are good to 0 or so. They're cheap, very durable, and ugly, but are the best pants I've ever found.

What he says. Cheap, quiet, butt ugly, but wide range of comfort. Anything works in nice weather; it is when you are miles from camp and things change that you appreciate GOOD clothing.

hands can be tough. I like glacier gloves with the mitt cover. You can start out with the mitts in the am, transition to fingerless, and go bare handed if nice. And quick to shoot from. Choice of fleece or neoprene.

Watch sierra trading post. I got some blaze orange polypropylene t-shirts which are a great first layer, and can be worn alone if it really gets warm. Wool or fleece shirts. For layering, they have to be orange. I like a windproof fleece jacket for cold weather, and have a fleece covered down vest as another layer. Works for all but the nastiest weather, when I use a waterproof, windproof breathable orange layer and combos of the other layer.

Head can be tough too. Too hot and a closed hat will sweat you to death, but that same hat will freeze your head if it is cold or rainy. I wear the ventilated hat when hiking and warm, and stuff a stocking hat in my pack just in case. If it is cold, I go to a closed top hat. And if really cold, I have a fur lined orange hat with ear flaps. Don't hike in it - use another hat because you will get soaked.

Not sure how you will be hunting, but this may help with organization: I'm sitting in Billings, MT waiting for a hunting partner to show at the airport. In the back of the truck is a rubbermaid tote with all the outer layers in it. They go in there when I get to the truck, and when I leave in the am, they come out.

Boots - something that fits! Lacrosse made an alltemp boot that is a rubber bottomed boot with thin liners for warm weather, felt liners for cold weather, as long as you keep moving. Leather or even tennis shoes in hot weather. GOOD wool socks and linersocks, even on a warm day. Good liners minimize blisters, but so do Russell moccasins!

Enjoy your prep - but start researching now. Santa Claus is coming soon ;-)

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
For layering, they have to be orange.

Curious about this comment. Is there a law on orange for hunting?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just have a cheepy orange mesh vest and you're good to go.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

I am thinking I can take advantage of the after season sales since the hunt isn't until 2016.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I am thinking I can take advantage of the after season sales since the hunt isn't until 2016.

Yep. I if I am looking for something in particular, I look at Cabelas bargain basement and on amazon at least once weekly. Also, sign up for Camofire.com The send you a daily email of hunting clearance items. Once or twice a month, they will have something you might be interested in

Venor ergo sum
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

The places you can't skimp on are boots, long johns and rain gear.

I've got Danner pronghorn boots but with years of wearing them, there is still a hotspot above my ankle right in front on one leg - other recommendations for boots?

Cabelas Meindl in Perfkt Hiker or denali. DO NOT buy the mendle boots that say "imported" because they are made in Asia. Buy only ones that say "made in Germany" I think you can find them on sale sometime this year.

Last edited by txhunter58; 10/26/14.

Venor ergo sum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 68 invisible), 3,527 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,400
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.