Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hunting with that should be fun. I had a pair like that in .44 magnum. I kept one long enough to shoot a little forked horn with it. I was using my standard load of 24 grains of Win 296 under a 250 grain home cast SWC. In one side, out the other. Dead buck.

Good luck!

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So why not a blackhawk?

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
SargeMO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by temmi
So why not a blackhawk?

Snake

Why not a HiPoint?

Edited to add: That came off sounding kind of smart-assed, which wasn't my intention. Please accept my apology. My point was that either of them will kill a deer at tree-stand distance and it is simply a matter of preference.

I prefer fixed-sight handguns, but I will tweak loads and bend/file sights to get them on a 1 lb coffee can lid at 50 yards. I am downrght OC about it. For anyone else who wants a hunting sixgun that can be easily regulated, an adjustable sighted revolver is probably the way to go.

Last edited by SargeMO; 10/28/14.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for posting the secret of the hammer thong Sarge, it was giving me a pretty fair headache as I like to cartwheel before I draw.

SargeMO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5thShock
Thanks for posting the secret of the hammer thong Sarge, it was giving me a pretty fair headache as I like to cartwheel before I draw.

I'm pleased to have saved you from an embarrassing fate, LOL!

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It does rankle a bit that twisting is the simple and elegant solution and I couldn't come up with it. Oh well, maybe cold fusion.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sarge, keep on creating.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
SargeMO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I tried an old standby load for modern single action revolvers today, consisting of 8.0 grains of HP38 (or W231) and a 255 grain SWC. This is one of those loads you will see in reviews by reputable gunwriters, but you won't find it in the powder companies's manuals. I tried it because I wanted something that still hit with authority, but shot lower than the 13.0 HS6 load mentioned above.

From the short Vaquero, the HP38 load produced an average of 883 fps, with an extreme spread of 41.13 fps and a standard deviation of 15.71 fps. Excellent numbers all around; except it grouped about a 10" at 65 yards from this gun and hit about a foot low. Well, shizz... just goes to show you can't take anything for granted.

Back to the drawing board... the 13.0/HS6 load shot great but shoots higher than I'll tolerate. Believe I'll back it off about a grain and see if that does it.

SargeMO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Load Success

I decided to split the difference and try 12.5 grains of HS6 with the Missouri Bullet 255 SWC. I was hoping it would slow the load down enough to move the POI down, without compromising the accuracy of the 13.0 grain load. It worked out real well, too. Six shots at a nut can lid from 65 yards. My right shoulder is giving me grief so I fired left hand, semi-supported over the range bag.

[Linked Image]

I believe the two rounds on or near the lid are what the gun is doing. The low/left round was me touching it off early and the one 4" left was just my screw-up. But the four best shots tell the story as far as accuracy potential and zero confirmation in this handy fixed-sight revolver.

I didn't have time to chrono this load today, but I'm betting it's right at 1000 fps and should knock a 1/2 hole through MO deer from any angle. I'll check it next day or two and report the actual velocity.

Last edited by SargeMO; 10/29/14.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice work, you've got yourself a rugged roscoe that can pinch hit for a rifle.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dang Sarge, nice work. You got yourself a real nice hammer there.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
SargeMO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Final Vaquero Working Loads

My goal here was the same as it always is, when developing loads for a fixed-sight revolver. One general shooting load, one 'working' load suitable for hunting game up to deer, and a heavy deep penetrating load for Big Angry Critters. Easy, right? I forgot to mention that they all need to shoot to the sights. I ironed out the first two today.

7.2 grains of W231/HP38 with a cast 250 grain RNFP has been my standard 45 Colt load for years. From the 4 5/8" Vaquero it produced an Average Velocity of 883 fps, and Extreme Spread of 41.13 fps and a Standard Deviation of 15.71 fps. Its POI was close enough to keep most shots on a paper bowl at 65 yards from a rest. Nothing left to do here but load lots of those.

The 13.0 grain HS6 load shot a little high with MO Bullet 255 SWC from this gun, so I backed it down to 12.5 grains. Average velocity was 984 fps but the Extreme Spread shot up to 128.6 fps and the Standard Deviation was 43.18. I was having a What The Hell moment until I ejected the brass and found four Starlines, an ancient R-P case and a WW case. DUMMY, make sure you're loading the same casings next tme!

So I loaded six of the 12.5 HS6 SWC's, all in Starline cases, took a good rest over the range bag and let them fly. At 65 yards it herded five them into 4", exactly at point of aim. This load is ready to hunt.

[Linked Image]

Can't beat that for a compact, fixed-sight sixgun.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I also like the 'Vaquero' and have an Old Model, in a 45 Colt, 4 5/8" barrel (un-catalogued),
blued/case-colored, with Black Micarta Birdshesad grips.

It fits well, shoots well, and is the handgun I take along
hunting, camping, and most anything outdoors.

SargeMO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
An old friend blessed me with a near full box of 3oo grain, .452" Hornady Mag XTPs. It is old production and has a single cannelure. Linebaugh's writings indicate you can go as high as 23.0 grains if H110 under this bullet. I loaded a short batch with 22.0 grains of WW 296 powder in new Starline brass, with CCI Large Pistol Primers and finished with a firm crimp.

[Linked Image]

I tried to run six of them across the old Betamaster; but the sun was sinking, it was windy as hell and I got an Error reading on the first shot. The five that did register averaged 1093 tps with an Extreme Spread of 41.44 fps and a Standard Deviation of 18.11 fps. These are not bad numbers from a short 45 Colt. Recoil was not painful but you can tell when they go off. There were no flat primers or other pressure signs. Three of the empties dropped from the cylinder under their own weight and the other three jumped right out with a light bump of the ejector rod.

Would the 300 XTP expand at this velocity? Only ine way to find out... four gallons of water backed by a Brownells catalog, backed by a saw block.

[Linked Image]

The impact ripped all four jugs & launched the caps; I found the bullet buried in the catalog about to its base.

[Linked Image]

The bullet had expanded better than I hoped and it didn't appear to have lost much weight. Granted, some of that expansion probably occured after it hit the catalog; but it shows the advantages of retained momentum & bullet weight apply to heavy JHP's as well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The only thing that remained was to see if the load shot to the sights. I knew it would print high; the question was how much. I stapled up a paper picnic bowl & held six o'clock on it from 25 yards and fired a couple of rounds standing, unsupported. I repeated the process from 65 yards seated in my hunting chair, with the gun rested over one knee. The results were, once again, were better than I expected.

[img]http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x187/SargeMO/300XTP_220W206_POI_zps3e92c3a0.jpg[/img]

I'll probably bump this up to about 1150 fps and see how she rolls.

SargeMO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My of goal 1150 fps, with the 300 grain Hornady 45 'Mag' XTP, was not selected because I believe it takes that much velocity to kill grass-eaters. Per the manufacturer, that bullet shows an expansion range of 1100-2200 fps and I simply wanted my little Ruger to get it's toe in the door.

I had a limited number of bullets and there is ample data on 300 grain bullet Ruger Loads in 45 Colt. So I went straight to 22.6 grains. I screwed up and only dropped 5 rounds in my pocket, so the numbers are for five shots instead of six. Average velocity was 1186 fps, extreme spread was 12.20 and the standard deviation was 6 fps. That's a kick-ass load for a gun with a barrel under 5� and one of the reasons I love the 45 Colt.

I repeated the four jugs/catalog test... the first two jugs were split nearly in two and the big slug bounced off the catalog and was found, semi-expanded, in the fourth jug. I don't think these are bad results for a bullet that was designed for 454 Casull velocities. I'm pretty sure it will expand crashing through a deer's shoulders but at minimum, it still becomes a full wadcutter. Maybe coming weeks will provide a field test.

[Linked Image]

I'm going to find some standard 300 grain XTP's (Hornady product# 45230) and rebuild this load around them.

SargeMO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I had about 30 rounds of old 255 SWC 45 Colts that was loaded 1200 fps, as opposed the 1050 fps I regulated this revolver for at 50 yards. Late yesterday I decided to burn them up to empty the brass. This is the last 7 of them fired at 25 yards, standing unsupported.

This would all be no big deal except I'm right handed and I had my right shoulder rebuilt in mid December. Left hand shooting with my Glock 30 has been 'just OK'. Apparently I've been trying to master left hand shooting with the wrong 45.

[Linked Image]
Apologies for lousy pic.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
beauty of a gun looks like you can shoot it too

MC
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 24 invisible), 1,904 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,369
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.