Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Hey guys,

I'm mostly a lurker, I just like reading the posts and occasionally throwing in my two cents. Today however was a banner worthy day in terms of my model 70 acquisitions. It marks both the purchase of a gun I've been looking for for five years and the first supergrade I have ever owned. Today I found and purchased a model 70 in 370H&H. It was born in 1953 and still wheres the original dusl folding leaf rear site. On top it is graced by a Lyman All-American four power scope with a German post mounted with Weaver flip off rings. Sorry for the marginal picture quality. I'll repost better pics if anyone is interested.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice, congrats!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sweet geezus. Nice rifle. You will love that one!!! Congrats..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats! That's a beauty!

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What a sweet rifle!

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
FANTASTIC! smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wonderful rifle for Alaskan wilderness. If you plan on shooting the gun on regular basis I would get replacement stock. Winchester boys do not like non-factory X-bolts or cracked stocks. Not sure if they ship to Alaska but rumor is Cheaperthandirt and SWVA have premium ammo loaded with Swift A Frame bullets at $40 per 20 rounds. I haven't seen prices like that in years. When I had my Classic Safari PMP 300 gr soft points were $17 per 20 pack.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I handload all of my ammo anyway. So I will just eventually figure out what it likes.thanks for the advice on the stock, I have a friend that has a bell and Carlson carbalight for a long. So maybe I'll get that stock.

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice rifle. A 375 in Alaska. What could be better than that?

I looked at my 53 and it has the same blued bright barrel as yours along with the matte receiver.

Your stocks swivels look like Super Grade!

375 H&H in Alaska! cool

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Fantastic rig! Milky tits ... U will be able to really put it to work as intended ....... very best WinPoor

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Slavek
Wonderful rifle for Alaskan wilderness. If you plan on shooting the gun on regular basis I would get replacement stock. Winchester boys do not like non-factory X-bolts or cracked stocks. Not sure if they ship to Alaska but rumor is Cheaperthandirt and SWVA have premium ammo loaded with Swift A Frame bullets at $40 per 20 rounds. I haven't seen prices like that in years. When I had my Classic Safari PMP 300 gr soft points were $17 per 20 pack.

Crossbolts are the best thing for a 375 H&H stock. I agree with you about cracked stocks though. However,That stock has an aftermarket pad. If it's been shortened any, 1/2 the value is gone in that stock. If that's the case, I'd glass bed the dang thing with some good ol Devcon 10110 and hunt the hell out of it. It's inevitable that the stock will crack over time due to excessive recoil. A good Micky is in order if the OP isn't willing to glass bed the original stock. I've read somewhere that the pre 64 model 70 is Alaska's state rifle, and that is a prime example of a fine pre 64 model 70.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I've read somewhere that the pre 64 model 70 is Alaska's state rifle, and that is a prime example of a fine pre 64 model 70.

grin

“Factio democratica delenda est"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
I've read somewhere that the pre 64 model 70 is Alaska's state rifle, and that is a prime example of a fine pre 64 model 70.

grin

No kidding my friend grin...:

http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/firearms/ak_bolt_action_rifle.htm

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have yet to see anyone hunting with a pre 64 in Ak I have run into a lot hunters, truth be told I seen more rugers, and kimbers in action in Ak than pre64 model 70's.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Are you saying most Alaskans don't have good sense or taste in rifles?

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

No just better sense than you boys in the lower 48. grin

I guarantee you OP probably won't hunt that rifle it will probably make couple trips to birch wood shooting park. If I'm wrong I'm wrong whistle

Last edited by 79S; 10/25/14.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Very nice rifle sir!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That's a nice one! How did you "find" it, as you put it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S
I have yet to see anyone hunting with a pre 64 in Ak I have run into a lot hunters, truth be told I seen more rugers, and kimbers in action in Ak than pre64 model 70's.

I can believe that could be the case today, because pre-64 70s have gone up in value and Alaska hunting conditions are very hard on gear, especially along the coast. Pre-64s were not available in stainless, as are Rugers and Winchester Classics.

As a former investor in Kimber, I will not buy one so I do not follow them today. Rugers are relatively cheap and sturdy but bulky. I've had several and can't get excited about them.

That said, an awful lot of game was taken with big and medium bore Model 70s. The late, legendary Alaskan guide Hal Waugh had his rebarrelled to .375 Weatherby. I myself have several 70s, both pre-64 and CRF Classics, and love them all. Handling has a lot to do with that.

The .375 H&H shown here looks weathered already and I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with it anywhere in the world. I saw a lot of them in Africa, usually in the same condition, because folks hunted the hell out of them.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

No just better sense than you boys in the lower 48. grin

I guarantee you OP probably won't hunt that rifle it will probably make couple trips to birch wood shooting park. If I'm wrong I'm wrong whistle

I'm pretty sure Phil Shoemaker still uses pre 64 rifles. Isn't he still living in AK? :
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 65 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,159
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.