OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K

GB1

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That wus braw, mate.

I am reminded of Winston Churchill's statement that "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." and I am very glad to see that Mr. Vickers was back on the job right away with no apparent need for trauma counseling.

In fact, I hope he went home to his family and friends for a nice celebration. For sure, the man will never have to pay for his own drinks if he ever goes to a bar.

Good show, Sargeant-at-Arms!

John

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A good man should never be overly troubled for stopping a bad man.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Classy. He did well.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Maybe our Congress could learn a thing or six from our Northern neighbors. They get it.

IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks for posting that. He did a fine job and likely saved a number of people's lives.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
jpb;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope this finds you keeping warm and well.

Of course there's been a lot of airplay about Mr. Vickers up here, but this news story I found on another gun site up here puts it into sharp focus.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ott...ended-the-attack-on-parliament-1.2812802

He was informed of the situation, armed himself, moved toward the threat and eliminated it. cool

My favorite part of the article:

"After identifying himself to gain entry to the room, Vickers strode to the microphone at the front of the room and explained what had happened:

"I engaged the suspect and the suspect is deceased," he said.

According to sources, the entire room erupted in cheers, as Vickers left to continue to secure the grounds."

As they noted on the other site, he'll never have to buy another drink again in Canada for sure and then some.

Apparently he was a career RCMP officer and did a fair stretch up north. I have the privilege of knowing some retired members of that age group and experience - typically they're tough folks to say the least.....

Anyway thanks to my cyber friend kamo gari for posting this. To say we're proud of Mr. Kevin Vickers up here across the medicine line would be understating it to say the least.

All the best to you both this weekend gentlemen.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 10/25/14. Reason: added info

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
norm99:
Good morning to you sir!

Chris Wilcox says he knows you and hello! wink grin

I just need to find a barrel and then Chris will be getting an action from me for the latest money pit venture.

Anyway sir, have a good weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It appears Mr. Vickers isn't subjected to the mandatory leave with pay in order to investigate the shooting, undergo grief counseling and a psych exam. Well done!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I very much agree that Mr. Vickers is a genuine hero, and saved the day. He deserves all the good things that come with being a hero.

That being said, as I was watching coverage of the event, and saw that Parliament had barricaded themselves and been reduced to breaking off flag poles for the staffs to be used as weapons.

[Linked Image]

Had this been something beyond a single rabid shooter, and been an organized terrorist attack like we have seen elsewhere in the world, those people would have been fish in a barrel. Even a very small force of Jihadists of 5-6 would have changed the outcome of this tragedy immensely.

I would hope that Canada and the rest of us learn these lessons now, before the next event like this incurs a far larger footprint.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
God Bless Mr. Vickers. Great job

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
God Bless Mr. Vickers. Great job

+1

We can all learn something from him.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you ever met a true hero, one of the traits they all seem to have, as does Sgt at Arms Vickers, is their humility....

you could see it was difficult for him to accept the accolades, as he probably didn't feel he deserved them, and was looking at this as he was just doing his job, and doing what he was trained to do...

his deeds were not for fame or glory.... his deeds were done by arising to the occasion and defending the lives of the legislators of Canada, by neutralizing the threat that appeared out of nowhere on their door step...

I am sure Cpl Cirrillo would have done the exact same thing, if he would have ever been given a chance...

I feel empathy for Canada for their loss and feel pride in that they have men who selflessly rise to the occasion and do what needs to be done with NO hesitation....

That is the face radical Islam needs to see..

Lets just hope Islamic Radicals, now do not target Sgt At Arms Vickers and his family...if they do, we know we are at war, within our own borders....

and its NOT work place violence, Mr President...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Listening to the CBC news this morning they gave more details of the shooting. Vickers hearing the gunfire grabbed his handgun and ran out into the hallway. He saw the terrorist behind a large stone pillar. He ran to the other side of the pillar within arms reach of the shooter, could see the rifle barrel sticking out from behind pillar. He dove to the floor towards the shooter on his back and shot several rounds lying on his back up into the shooter. He went back into his office reloaded in case there were other terrorists in the building, finding none, he then went to where the MP's were and made the announcement of engaging the suspect who is now deceased.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by n007
Listening to the CBC news this morning they gave more details of the shooting. Vickers hearing the gunfire grabbed his handgun and ran out into the hallway. He saw the terrorist behind a large stone pillar. He ran to the other side of the pillar within arms reach of the shooter, could see the rifle barrel sticking out from behind pillar. He dove to the floor towards the shooter on his back and shot several rounds lying on his back up into the shooter. He went back into his office reloaded in case there were other terrorists in the building, finding none, he then went to where the MP's were and made the announcement of engaging the suspect who is now deceased.

That's how it's done.

The man has a solid set of stones, for sure. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
jpb;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope this finds you keeping warm and well.

Apparently he was a career RCMP officer and did a fair stretch up north. I have the privilege of knowing some retired members of that age group and experience - typically they're tough folks to say the least.....

Dwayne

Thanks for the new link, Dwayne -- I had not seen that paticular one. Here is an image from that page that shows Vickers in action:

[Linked Image]

Dwayne, I know exactly what you mean about RCMP guys of that age -- lots of experience in the rough northern areas, and I know many like him from northern Ontario, Manitoba and the NWT. These guys (often just two of them at the smaller reservations) had to handle everything on their own without backup -- I remember what it was like on the reservation at Oxford House (Manitoba) for example.

Also, Vickers joined so long ago that the requirements he met were VERY high (physically and otherwise) -- in the RCMP of 3 decades ago there was no political correctness or quotas! smile

I've watched several other videos, and noticed that some of the cops were hanging back (one did so until until he saw he was on camera -- human nature I guess!). Fortunately, most other cops and soldiers did a good job of pressing forward -- and we all know which type the Sargeant-at-Arms was!

John

Last edited by jpb; 10/25/14. Reason: fingers fast, brain slower
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sadly, internet search for details of what happened in Canada are cluttered by the tweeky Brit, Rushrill Brand, who insists on orally defecating every time he opens his mouth.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I guess "SAA" isn't entirely a ceremonial post? smile Well done.

On another thread there was speculation about the handgun used- appears to be a SA- a Glock is my guess.

You will note he didn't fire just once and then wait to see if the bad boy falls down?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by las
I guess "SAA" isn't entirely a ceremonial post? smile Well done.

On another thread there was speculation about the handgun used- appears to be a SA- a Glock is my guess.

You will note he didn't fire just once and then wait to see if the bad boy falls down?

Never seen a silver Glock. Regardless, it got the job done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,147 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,237
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.