-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My son is in the Marines and wants to buy an A4 for home. You'd think he gets to use the real thing enough but it's his money. I only know of the Colt AR15A4. Does FN make a civilian one or anyone else? Not interested in building one and want as close to an actual A4 as possible.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Yes, FN makes one.
http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/carbines/fn-15-series/fn15-rifle

You should be able to pick one up in the $1000-1100 range. Good Luck!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Colt would be the one to get. FN would be my second choice.

This is what you want:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=448975603

Last edited by CBMJR; 10/25/14.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
COLT or FN. Both are excellent companies and will give years of service. Impossible to go wrong between the two.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd never buy a Colt lower. If you gotta have Colt, just buy the upper and slap it on a Spike's lower. Spikes is just as nicely finished and closer to milspec dimension-wise. No trigger blocks or high shelf BS.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by BarryC
I'd never buy a Colt lower. If you gotta have Colt, just buy the upper and slap it on a Spike's lower. Spikes is just as nicely finished and closer to milspec dimension-wise. No trigger blocks or high shelf BS.

And no large pin vs small pin.

I'd just buy the FN and be done with it.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

And no large pin vs small pin.

I'd just buy the FN and be done with it.

The current colts have standard pins and have for several years now.

My Colt lower is much nicer than the Spikes I use to have. Although, for the lost part a lower is a lower. Nothing wrong with the Colts.

Last edited by CBMJR; 10/25/14.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Good to know. Glad to know they've joined the rest of the world in that respect. Thanks.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
yeah, was just thinking.. I have one of those weird pin ones... but they haven't done that in years now.

If resale was an issue, I'd buy colt. I don't sell, I buy.

I"d have what I want built...

There is the 3rd option and have it spec'd the same if htat was the desire but have a much better barrel and trigger etc....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by CBMJR
Colt would be the one to get. FN would be my second choice.

This is what you want:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=448975603

I have both, but would probably vote the other way around with FN over Colt. They are both really good rifles, but the FN has a nicer, higher quality finish and slightly tighter tolerances. This is from a sample size of one, though.

After running carbines for so long, I forgot how much easier the full size rifles are to shoot, at least for me.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good to hear that the FN is nicely finished. It is hard to compare the two unless you have 50 of each. I have a Colt that's the nicest finished AR I have ever bought. Even the receivers have a nice snug fit. These things aren't finished like custom rifles though. AR's from almost any brand are put together from parts and fit and finish doesn't always match up perfectly. Sometimes they do. From what I have seen, it's more luck of the draw than what manufacturer assembled it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Like rost495 says, I don't sell. I buy.

Me, it's Colt. I tweak it from there. I don't think you would hurt yourself if you sprinkle in some Spike's. The Les Baer OP posted earlier is beautiful, but just not realistic on price ($3k).

Spike's are possibly some of the best deals out there for quality parts right now, IMHO. They are tough as nails. I have no idea why they've gotten this inexpensive lately, compared to other stuff that won't hold up. Probably just good marketing on the low dependability stuff. YMMV.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

By "dimension-wise" are you just talking about the trigger block/high shelf?

If not, what dimensions have you measured on Colt and Spikes lowers and what were the differences compared to the TDP?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
My son is in the Marines and wants to buy an A4 for home. You'd think he gets to use the real thing enough but it's his money. I only know of the Colt AR15A4. Does FN make a civilian one or anyone else? Not interested in building one and want as close to an actual A4 as possible.

Gunbroker has the FN and Colt for $1050-$1100.

I'd try the FN over the Colt. There have been some reports of Colt A4s being shipped with "F" front sight bases and also with unmarked. Probably wouldn't make a big deal on a rifle length gun but it would irritate me that they're not being consistent with them.

If I were shopping for a complete rifle I'd contact GandR and see when he could get you the BCM version for $1076 (through his First Responder program). It'll come with the BCM grip and Magpul trigger guard. And I'd rather do business with GandR than some stranger on gunbroker any day. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-Government-20-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-gov-20.htm

If you're willing to do some assembly I'd get the upper from Bravo Company USA and it'll come with a free BCG. Add a charging handle and handguards for $40 and you've got a complete upper for $480.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-Government-20-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-gov-20.htm

That'd leave you $600 for a lower and sights.
Lots of lowers available for <$100 right now.

VLTOR A5 for $190.... http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-Government-20-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-gov-20.htm

Lower Parts Kit for $70.... http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Lower-Parts-Kit-stag-arms-p/stag%20lpk%20-%20semi.htm

Geissele Trigger for $140.... http://tradingplacepawn.com/geissele-2-stage.html

Carry Handle Sight (if that's what he wants) for $110.... http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Carry-Handle-BCM-p/bcm%20carry%20handle%20ar-15.htm

That's $610 for the lower. You could save $100 if he wanted a fixed stock rather than the A5.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

By "dimension-wise" are you just talking about the trigger block/high shelf?

Exactly.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

602 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,269
Posts18,448,309
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.