Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
...title says it. Good, bad, ugly....comparable recommendations. About all I'm set on is stainless or stainless/alloy.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I bought one of the first Loaded models, seems like the late 1990s, but not sure. Later versions are improved from that one, though. For example, mine has a milled front sight while the new ones have a dovetailed front sight.

I have personally gone back to preferring more basic 1911s, i.e., without all the bells and whistles. Basically, the Loaded model is a bargain basement way of getting a 1911 with the bells and whistles that were at one time considered desirable custom features, i.e., you had to have your 1911 sent off to a custom smith to get them on, and it would cost you a pretty penny. Springfield saves you that expense by putting them all on there at the factory for you. No special tuning involved, just the features that used to be considered custom.

Springfields are good guns, and if you like all those features, the Loaded is a good way to go. It's not a custom tuned gun, though. If you want one with all those features, and want it with a nicely tuned action, then you're talking about the TRP. I've got one of those, too, and have been 100% happy with it.

My Loaded, when if first came from the factory, had problems, but Springfield fixed it up perfectly at no cost to me.

If I found myself without a 1911 today, and wanted one, I'd go with the stainless Mil Spec, which I have as well. It comes just the way I want it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got the 'loaded' with the Bomar sight. Like it, no problems, so far probably only around 700 or so rounds through it. Got it because Jack Huntington of JRH custom guns recommended Springfields for my 45 Super. Got the 'loaded' as I need an ambidextrous safety and wanted sights easier to adjust than the mil-spec version. It is more accurate than I am, I have shot 1 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards (benched) upon occasion.

Hind sight; think I'd rather have the 'loaded' version that has the Novak sights (less bulk) for carrying, but not entirely sure as I haven't tried it (yet)

Dislikes; The mainspring housing has a key lock in it... easy to replace. the full length guide rod spring needs to be checked as it often starts to unscrew, replaced it.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
I've got the 'loaded' with the Bomar sight. Like it, no problems, so far probably only around 700 or so rounds through it. Got it because Jack Huntington of JRH custom guns recommended Springfields for my 45 Super. Got the 'loaded' as I need an ambidextrous safety and wanted sights easier to adjust than the mil-spec version. It is more accurate than I am, I have shot 1 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards (benched) upon occasion.

Hind sight; think I'd rather have the 'loaded' version that has the Novak sights (less bulk) for carrying, but not entirely sure as I haven't tried it (yet)

Dislikes; The mainspring housing has a key lock in it... easy to replace. the full length guide rod spring needs to be checked as it often starts to unscrew, replaced it.

Jerry
Yep, I always switch out to the standard length guide rod and plunger.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
...title says it. Good, bad, ugly....comparable recommendations. About all I'm set on is stainless or stainless/alloy.
I've had one for a number of years. No problems.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll take a Springfield over a Kimber any day...
I still carry a 1985 GI in my truck

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think you can really go wrong on a Springer. If it has what you want in features - snag it.

That said - Joe Chambers built a pretty Ruger 1911 for a friend of his and I asked him what his opinion was of the Ruger as a base pistol to build off of. He liked it just below a Colt because guys will pay for the Colt name and he said he was impressed with it and would select it over a Springfield for something to build off.

Realize everyone's looking for something different and all but Joe builds one hell of a 1911 (they win a lot at Perry) and I value his opinion.

Loaded vs Ruger - no wrong answer but if the Ruger is easily available and cheaper, I know what I'd buy.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Springfield loaded is a lot of 1911 for the money. Like mine and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I think they are one of the best entry level 1911's on the market.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lover mine, SS with adjustable sights. Never jams, bobbles etc. Pretty much feeds anything well. Very accurate with most loads as well. Has the ambidextrous safety which I don't really use. All in all a very good pistol for the money.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mine was stainless. The trigger was good enough to make hits on a 12x12in target at 60-75ish yards, if you took your time.

The only thing I hated about the one I had was the ambidextrous safety. I know I could have changed it out but... I traded it for something else. I still regret that, as it was a fine gun. Should have changed out the safety to right hand only.

Last edited by bigfish9684; 10/25/14.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
411 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 41 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,902
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.