Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I've been putting it off for too long. My custom knife collection has been growing and I use them for what they are intended. I fear sharpening my customs because I don't want to ruin them, but it's time to put a good edge back on some of them. I want to invest in a good sharpening system for them and need to spend the time learning on how to use it. I want to sharpen my smaller folders all the way up to my hunters and even some larger choppers. I need opinions on stones or even suggestions on systems like the work sharp or edge pro or even wicked edge or even lansky. Im open to all suggestions. I wanna buy once, cry once. What do you knife guys think?

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like the DMT diamond stones. I've had really good luck with them......

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'll let others chime in, there are many.

I will say, beware of a wire edge and on't underestimate a leather strop. Actually 2, one plain leather and the other with rouge.

Remember, it's easier to keep an edge than put one back on.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'll let others chime in, there are many.

I will say, beware of a wire edge and on't underestimate a leather strop. Actually 2, one plain leather and the other with rouge.

Remember, it's easier to keep an edge than put one back on.

I definitely need to get me a strop or two. I really just plain need to learn how to put and keep an edge on a knife. I'm fine with stones and a strop if you folks think that's better than the sharpening systems available. I just don't have any sharpening skills at this point and a system that guarantees me a correct angle, seems like the route to go. Really just want to come up with something and learn it ... and learn it good! Then stick with it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The best thing is to get a big DMT and learn how to properly sharpen on cheap knives. You want the DMT's with the holes and know that if you know what you are doing you won't scratch the blade.

IC B2

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
The best thing is to get a big DMT and learn how to properly sharpen on cheap knives. You want the DMT's with the holes and know that if you know what you are doing you won't scratch the blade.

Yep, also recommend the DMT stone and cheap larger knives to start.
You are just trying to develop technique and muscle memory through repetition.

Oh, and a magic marker along the edge so you can gauge your removal efforts.

Good Luck!

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Are you guys referring to something like their 10" DuoStone? If so, what grit would you recommend? They have a fine/course model. Also, several other models.

Also, what kinda strop would you fellas recommend?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
the edge pro is a more expensive option but works very well. It also comes with a ceramic rod for maintaining an edge that easily fits in any hunt pack.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Check out the sharpening tutorial on the home page at dozierknives.com, also available on youtube. By the way, a strop plus little green rouge works remarkably well for tuning up the edge.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Edge peo system smokes the rest.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Here's the kit I'm considering purchasing:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edprocufumo.html

This should be a complete kit that gives me everything I could need or want for putting an awesome edge on any of my knives. From what I've read and researched, the glass stones that come in this customized kit are far superior to the standard ones that typically come with the Edge Pro. I also like the idea that it comes with the leather strop. The question is, I guess, is it really worth the asking price? I'm all for buy once, cry once type scenarios. If the end result is an awesome sharpening system, then I will no doubt be happy with it. What do you all think?

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started using a Lanksy in 1983 because I could not keep the angle equal on both sides of the blade, switched over to the diamond hones once they hit the market. I have learned to work with the limitations but I know there are better products.

I tried stropping on a piece of cardboard last year but had limited success, so I bought a 5.00 bag of leather from HobbyLobby, glued pieces to three different Oak 1x4x12's and picked up rouge from Lowes. Stropping seems to help quite a bit.

I would like to build a sharpener similar to this and buy wider and longer stones.

[Linked Image]

Dave

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
$400 ?

What steel types are in the knives you trying to get an edge on RB?

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Mainly 154CM and S30V and also some D2

I know $380 seems like much but I figure I've got waaaaay more than that invested in the knives and that they truly deserve a good sharpening ... I don't want to mess them up. Heck, a couple of the better and larger DMT stones might cost me close to $250 and I'm still not guaranteed a consistent angle/edge. Maybe I'm overlooking something. I just want to approach it right.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Mainly 154CM and S30V and also some D2

Then diamond stones are truly your friends.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you are really doing a good deal of research, I recommend watching "Virtuovice" YouTube videos on sharpening, and hunting knives.

The guy reviews multiple hunting knives (over 20) and shows you how to strop, the edge pro, and more. He even takes his knives to camp and uses them to remove back straps and shows you which knives work better than the others.

I use DLT strops, and Barkriver compound - here is his YouTube on those

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQHVCXzCy7c

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
A little pricey but looks to be a great sharpener!

http://www.wickededgeusa.com/product-category/sharpeners/

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you aren't a good hand sharpener, the edgepro apex is the way to go.

I started with hand, used lansky for years, tied others and finally found the edgepro. I can go to razor sharp levels with it.

How any other systems have grits that go well up into the 1,000's

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Wicked Edge looks nice too but it's even more costly than the Edge Pro Apex. Not sure if clamping down the knife is a good concept or not. I would think being able to move the knives around to some extent might make the Edge Pro more versatile but what do
I know.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
If you aren't a good hand sharpener, the edgepro apex is the way to go.

I started with hand, used lansky for years, tied others and finally found the edgepro. I can go to razor sharp levels with it.

How any other systems have grits that go well up into the 1,000's

See above ^^^

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
http://youtu.be/i-BjcYJnAWU

..... interesting video on why Edge Pro might be more versatile than the Wicked Edge

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Unless a blade is so thick it will barely sharpen, or it has been abused, a red DMT and a strop loaded with green compound is all you need.

An Edge pro might be nice but I have better things to spend money on. I keep my knives sharp enough to shave hair without pulling or scraping with just the above. Sure you can get a sharper edge by highly polishing it on a system like an Edge Pro but that edge is gone in a few cuts back to my level of sharp.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For rough work such as cutting through the hide of a deer to gut it and ripping the stuff out I prefer a folder with a partial serrated blade and a smooth blade.

The serrated blade cuts faster to get started.

On a single blade knife for the same work I like a rough edge put there by a rough stone.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The wicked edge is just an improvement on the lanky.

With the edge pro you don't have the problem of the angle changing the further away you get from the center of the rig. In the edge pro case you simply slide the knife down and hold it on the incline bed so there isn't a problem.

Holding the knife is the only thing you have to learn with the edge pro - after that you only need to learn when to stop. I made some of mine too sharp.

BTW - you can't create an edge or rebuild an edge with a strop.... Come on! There is now way in heck I'm going to remove chips in a blade with a strop either.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Google edge pro and kitchen knife and you can watch the guy slide the blade down to keep the same angle with skipping a beat.

You do the same on drop points by rotating the blade curve where you sharpen - that's just about impossible to do on anything that you clamp the blade into.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Savage_99
For rough work such as cutting through the hide of a deer to gut it and ripping the stuff out I prefer a folder with a partial serrated blade and a smooth blade.

The serrated blade cuts faster to get started.

On a single blade knife for the same work I like a rough edge put there by a rough stone.

[Linked Image]

The reason you like a rough edge is because your knife steel holds the edge longer when it is rough. Better steel will however excel it with a finer sharper edge. A bob Dozier in D2 will have a toothy feel on a microscopic level when sharpened on a DMT and left unpolished. It will still be smooth enough to shave with but you can tell it's more toothy for lack of a better word than 1095 when polished.

1095 will take a finer edge and polish to a higher level, but it will quickly loose that edge. A Dozier D2 will keep that hair popping edge through a couple of deer. It won't shave your face as well as a polished 1095 blade but it will cut flesh or hide a lot better.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
The wicked edge is just an improvement on the lanky.

With the edge pro you don't have the problem of the angle changing the further away you get from the center of the rig. In the edge pro case you simply slide the knife down and hold it on the incline bed so there isn't a problem.

Holding the knife is the only thing you have to learn with the edge pro - after that you only need to learn when to stop. I made some of mine too sharp.

BTW - you can't create an edge or rebuild an edge with a strop.... Come on! There is now way in heck I'm going to remove chips in a blade with a strop either.

Why would you have chips in your blade? Machetes and axes are for chopping. knives are for cutting. I did mention abuse. I've never chipped an edge on a deer.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Lol you deer either don't have bones in them, or maybe not bullets.

I get plenty of other guys knives to fix or put and edge on, so I never know what I'm going to see.

However micro chips are very common, and Those require more than a strop if you have a day job.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Bones are to be taken apart at joints and bullets are make of lead and copper which last time I checked are softer than steel. If you are hacking through bone, no wonder you need an Edge Pro. LOL right back at you. Incidentally, you developed attitude first. Perhaps your pride of ownership was bruised.

I didn't say all you needed was a strop. I said all you needed was a red DMT and a strop. Have you ever even used a strop loaded with green compound?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I use white and black bark river compounds.

Given I use the edge pro 2000 grit polish tapes and sometimes higher on my blades I really don't need to strop.

So if I understand the last post, it's apparently possible to debone a deers shoulder blade without hitting the bone at all? smile. Back at ya.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Leather to keep one going. If my knife is chipping on deer it would go in the [bleep] trash. Sheit heat treatment.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Why screw around taking hours when you can do a better job in minutes. Get a paper wheel sharpening kit for a 6" or 8" grinder from Jantz supply. You'll still want a DMT small plate for field touch ups. Once you use paper wheels you'll never have a dull knife again.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I can tell that you fellas have strong beliefs in your sharpening methods ... and that's a good thing! I'm sure this is one of those instances where you can skin the cat several ways. End results are probably pretty similar. I just want to develop a method and run with it! I'm not one for changing things up once Ive found something that works for me and it sounds like you guys feel the same. Looks like it's just a matter of which way I want to approach it.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That's what really happens in a practical approach.

What we are really discussing is what is the best type if cutting edge.

I used to like the 600 grit rougher almost serrated edge that was described earlier, however when I learned taxidermy I noticed the scalpels cut differently so I investigated and found a finer edge was better.

When I started screwing with a better edge I made them too thin and the edge rolled over like a log bur, then I went the other way and made them too steep. Over time I fiquired it out. Now when the knife hits hair it almost jumps away from the knife, which is really on the edge of too damn sharp.

At the end of the day what I have found is that a extremely flat fine edge with no duration or cuts much longer and requires less touch up, just as the one gent. Said- after you have a good edge the strop is all you need. Example - last year I dressed and boned 5 deer and only strop'do my blade once - it's a crazy sharp SOB.

Steely - microchips are not the same as chips on a blade, ha can't see them, but you can feel them shen you cut paper and the blade stalls and pulls.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 10/26/14.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I just need my knives sharp enough to do field chores like dressing and skinning animals, along with the daily requirements when I carry them to work. Also, something that slices through a steak when I sit down @ the table in the evening. grin I really am looking for an edge that holds up well, so Im assuming not to thin. I'm not looking for chit to just fall over dead when I pull my knives out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the Spyderco Sharpmaker. It's a great system that keeps a very sharp edge without ruining your blades.

Eric

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
One last wicked edge to edge pro comparison - look at how close your fingers are from the blade, some of those systems run you fingers pretty close to it if not over to of it- I never liked that.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I just want to develop a method and run with it!

Why not just learn how to use stones and diamond plates?

A fella really don't need electrical gadgets, wheels, discs, belts, rotors, clamps, guides, compounds, polishers, potions and commercial strops to get a fugging edge. Maybe someone will come up with a smartfone app, so alls a guy has to do is move his thumbs and his blades magically appear better than new......
How the hell did we get by before technology?....

Last edited by huntsman22; 10/26/14.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I just want to develop a method and run with it!

Why not just learn how to use stones and diamond plates?

A fella really don't need electrical gadgets, wheels, discs, belts, rotors, clamps, guides, compounds, polishers, potions and commercial strops to get a fugging edge. Maybe someone will come up with a smartfone app, so alls a guy has to do is move his thumbs and his blades magically appear better than new......
How the hell did we get by before technology?....

I like the way you think. My only problem with it is the better DMT diamond stones run about $110 or $120 a pop. Say you want 2 different stones with different grit and then add a good strop with some compounds, you are now approaching the $300 range. That basically puts a fella into an Edge Pro system. Just trying to be realistic about it. Unless I don't need those fancy diamond stones.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The only reason DMT is better than a Norton is because the DMT stays flat and lasts longer.

Unless you need to sharpen really large blades, and not necessarily then, you don't have to get the expensive DMT stones.The 6" stones will do fine.

Why don't you try a 6" red DMT? Then if you want the other stuff later you can buy it. That 6" DMT can go anywhere with you a lot better than a sharpening kit and it's only about $30. It's all you will need to keep a knife sharp. It will actually be better after it has worn a little finer, so you can add a ceramic rod for now if you want. Use the ceramic after the DMT and before the strop untill the DMT wears a little finer.

My only point in all this is that most of us would be better served to spend that $300 on a good quality knife that already has a properly ground edge and just keep it sharp with a simple stone and strop. My Dozier only requires a couple swipes on the worn DMT to restore an edge. If I want to go from shaving sharp to scary sharp I strop a couple dozen wipes on compound loaded leather.

Spotshooter
I like Edge Pro. I do agree with you concerning ultimate sharpness. I just don't think surgery sharp scalpels are necessary or even desirable in a hunting knife.They are fun to play with and show off, so have fun my friend.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Smith has a diamond sharpener approx 2" wide and 6" long that reverses back into the handle. Have two, one bought at WallyW other at Sports Whorehouse. All ya need, around $20.

Smith Sharpener

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Medium 6" DMT and leather strop.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want to see some crazy sharp stuff, go to bladefourm or other knife sites. But IMHO crazy is right, they take sharp to unreal levels just because they can. Those edges wouldnt hold up in many uses. If you roll the edge you dont have chit.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
The only reason DMT is better than a Norton is because the DMT stays flat and lasts longer.

Unless you need to sharpen really large blades, and not necessarily then, you don't have to get the expensive DMT stones.The 6" stones will do fine.

Why don't you try a 6" red DMT? Then if you want the other stuff later you can buy it. That 6" DMT can go anywhere with you a lot better than a sharpening kit and it's only about $30. It's all you will need to keep a knife sharp. It will actually be better after it has worn a little finer, so you can add a ceramic rod for now if you want. Use the ceramic after the DMT and before the strop untill the DMT wears a little finer.

My only point in all this is that most of us would be better served to spend that $300 on a good quality knife that already has a properly ground edge and just keep it sharp with a simple stone and strop. My Dozier only requires a couple swipes on the worn DMT to restore an edge. If I want to go from shaving sharp to scary sharp I strop a couple dozen wipes on compound loaded leather.

Spotshooter
I like Edge Pro. I do agree with you concerning ultimate sharpness. I just don't think surgery sharp scalpels are necessary or even desirable in a hunting knife.They are fun to play with and show off, so have fun my friend.

Your information is priceless ... thank you very much for sharing. This is most definitely the direction I will go and looking forward to putting the money I save into another great custom knife. grin

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
No problem my friend. Sharpening is just like everything else. A lot of people enjoy different things and there are different levels of practicality, experience and enjoyment.Some just want a quick and easy method to make a knife shaving sharp, and some like the experience and challenge of creating the ultimate edge that scares the hairs into jumping off on their own. You just have to take everyone's recommendations and experience and then choose what will work best for you.

I handed one of those scary sharp blades to a guy once that immediately started shaving the thick hair from his arm. He seemed to be amazed at how well it saved. Before I could warn him, he made a 10" swipe and a ribbon of skin fell to the floor. In a few seconds blood started welling up because he had sliced the epidermis layer off his arm. It took a couple hand towels and quite a while to stop the bleeding. The knife was so sharp that he sliced a ribbon of skin about a half inch wide and ten inches long completely off his arm. Ever since that, I have been very cautious about who I let handle very sharp knives.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Rick
You will be getting a knife shortly. It will be big and it will be sharpened on an Edge Pro.
I will probably stop at 600 grit at 24 degrees and then leather strop.
See what you think of the edge when you get it.
It will take several touch ups with just the strop.
I prefer to stop at 600 grit on field use knives as I prefer a little "tooth" on the edge.
I have no negative issues with the size and workings of the Edge Pro stones. I run them damp with soapy water and rinse them clean often. I also buy a supply of stones ahead.
Abrasive belts or stones will not do a good job unless reasonably fresh and clean.
I do my customs on the Edge Pro. I do my kitchen and filet knives on a Work Sharp. I used large bench stone for near 60 years and can do a good job there, but can not match a fixture sharpening with them.
jmho

Give me a call if you want to talk directly on this.
Thanks
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Sounds good Tim! I'd think you're spot on with the edge you intend to put on that Big Camp Knife, as this isn't your 1st rodeo. Another member here so kindly offered up to me some leather for stropping along with some green compound. I should be set now for doing those touch ups you are speaking of. I'm glad to hear you use the Edge Pro on your customs, as that was my full intentions too. Sounds like you're happy with the stones that come with it. I've been researching and reading up over on bladesforum and seen where a lot of folks on there complain about the quality of the original stones. I guess if I were to do it I could get the standard kit and always upgrade to the Shapton stones if I later decided I needed to. What kinda steel will that Camp Knife have? Im sure you've already told me, but I can't remember. Just curious.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Rick
52100, stock removal, 59/60Rc.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EricM
I like the Spyderco Sharpmaker. It's a great system that keeps a very sharp edge without ruining your blades.

Eric

Same here. I should add that the diamond sticks are worth the price especially when you are reshaping the edges.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.