Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Knew there was an abundant misuse of BP settlement funds, but this one has got to take the cake!

Link

Settlement funds that are supposed to be used for cleaning up and protecting the environment after the big gulf oil spill of 2010... the state of Alabama wants to use some 58 Million of those funds to build a hotel and conference center that isn't even close to the gulf, but is in a sensitive and protected environmental area!

Wonder how many other gulf states are doing the same?????

Phil

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Graft, corruption, lies, cheat, and steal. Lawlessness is rampant in our country.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Whenever big money is at stake, there are thieves (or politicians) lined up for the gravy!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
Graft, corruption, lies, cheat, and steal. Lawlessness...

The very definition of our government. And it starts at the lowest level, and goes up from there.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What else is new? Want to watch money get blown on frivolous things? Start with government and just add money.

It doesn't matter if it's taxes from cigarettes, social security, settlment funds, they will use every last cent and every dollar they can print for their pet projects.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You really should get your facts straight.

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
How's that? If you got something different cough them up, I'm just going by a couple articles... one of which I put a link up for.

Supposedly the hotel was destroyed during the hurricane Katrina, I believe.... that's not something liable for BP!

Phil

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wrong hurricane, but anyway the hotel and convention center site is directly on The Gulf of Mexico. It is no more "environmentally sensitive" than surrounding developments. I don't agree with building on this site, not because of "environmental issues" but because it is high risk.

Should it be rebuilt somewhere? Yes. Should BP pay for it? Hell yes.

Bp is liable for damage to the Alabama State Park system. The Gulf State Park was a pristine maritime forest, which also serves as a rookery, not to mention a major eco-tourisim attraction nestled on the Gulf of Mexico. Excess revenue from this park helps support parks throughout the state.
BP put a halt to all of that and should be held accountable. It should be up to the state park system to spend the money on improvements to the system as a whole.
The convention center is a drop in the bucket when you look at the overall picture from here.

But the bottom line is the environmentalists are to self absorbed to realize the convention center is actually good for the environment throughout the entire state.

Bama Rick

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Your right about the hurricane at least.... it was Ivan in 2004 that destroyed the hotel, wonder where the disaster relief funds went?

As to BP funds being used to rebuild it.... that's hog-wash.

As to my assumption that the hotel wasn't even close to the gulf, that was my miss read of another article involving another suggested rip-off of 10 million to a construction company that apparently doesn't and hasn't even done any work in the gulf area and is some 200 miles from the gulf. I'll admit to that.

Phil

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You can't see the dunes for the sand, dude.

The hotel and convention center will bring sustained revenue to the Alabama State Parks System. Something that will be desperately needed when BP is long gone.

As for the Ivan relief funds, it all went to dune and sea oat restoration as well as planting trees in the maritime forest, biking and birding trails, campsites, etc. You know, environmental stuff.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 47 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.