Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There are three of us going on an elk hunt (first rifle season) to Colorado next fall. All three of us are between 5'10" and 6'1", 180-210 pounds.

We're going to be needing a tent with stove capabilities to do a full first season (one week) run at up to 12,000 feet. Yes, I've hunted this area before, and yes, if it's still warm the elk will be that high.

We're looking for a floorless tipi-style or tarp style tent, stove compatible, and lightweight, but with enough room for three guys and their gear for an elk hunt.

Here's the rub: none of us routinely hunt with that many people in the party. Generally, we're solo or occasionally with one other person. This hunt is a once-every-so-many-years type gig. So, one of us will end up with this tent after the hunt and if it could work well for our usual hunts, that'd be perfect.

Suggestions?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Check with these guys:

http://seekoutside.com/

And if you have questions, send a PM to KevinT.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For a big tent Buck has a nice setup for sale. I have a TI 6.5 and would think the 7.5 with three would be fine.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Titanium_Goat_Vertex_7_5_Ti#Post9275098

The Backcountry Shelter would be an excellent choice, being modular you could join them for your big group and then have two smaller tents for the rest of the season. I'd see what they could do for you.

http://store.seekoutside.com/backcountry-shelter/

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
We used the ti-goat 7.5 vertex and their small Wifi woodstove on recent Roosevelt elk hunt on Afognak Island, Alaska, and it worked great. We even squeezed 4 people into the tent, and once, in years past, we slept 5. At just a little over a pound per person for shelter it is really hard to beat.

Our recent hunt was boat based and we would go ashore with camping gear and hike until we found the elk. No base camps - just hike around with all the gear all the time. We'd call the boat to where we ended up when we got an elk. So lightweight was key. I'd think the Ti-Goat vertex 7.5 with Wifi stove would be just about perfect for what the original poster wanted for CO elk. Or, alternatively the Seek Outside 6 man teepee. Really any teepee and woodstove under 6 pounds and with around 120 square feet inside would work great.

Below is a link to a video of our recent hunt - it shows just how comfortable teepee camping with a woodstove can be. And those Roosevelt elk sure are big!

http://vimeo.com/109401605

Patrick

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Patrick,

That was an outstanding video. That looks a trip of a lifetime.

The gals bull was a beauty too.

Congratulations

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Killer vid.Thx.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A kifaru sawtooth might be a little tight for 3 but would fit the after description well.
And I agree that a couple of backcountry shelters would be about perfect.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I too enjoyed that video! My SIL is working on Afognak, want to go see him.

4ager, my only experience with tent stove you're asking about is the Kifaru 8 man with stove. It's easily doable with 3 guys, but probably a bit much for a solo use setup.

am thinkin the guys sounding off about 2 tents are closer to the mark.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thanks for that video. Sure was making me want to fly up again soon...

Wife isn't totally sold on the tipis, but I think if we were in our 6 man by ourselves, it would be different.

Though she has done well with the 2 of us in the paratipi. But its never been bad weather.

She has been in snow/sleet with 5 of us crammed in the 6 man but deemed it to warm to run the stove...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just spent a week in my SO 8 man with SXL stove bird hunting eastern Montana.
Worked perfectly for 3, gear, and a GSP. We used low cots most of the time and burned the stove after dark. Felt like a palace during the week when there were just 2 of us and the dog.
Super comfy, best tent camping trip ever.
Sounds to me like you need an 8 man and a BCS-2.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That's a fun video. Thanks.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The video was flat awesome! Well done and looks like a great hunt!

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A Kifaru tipi & stove of course! I'm partial, though - I've got both a 4-man and 12-man and love them to death. For 3 guys with lots of gear I wouldn't go less than an 8-man.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
how do those things vent if one guy, say, gets real gassy when he eats venison jerky?

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
how do those things vent if one guy, say, gets real gassy when he eats venison jerky?

It becomes a two-man tent and one guy sleeps outside.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Beware of the really tasty beef stew ... it was tasty but we had problems with it at camp last year smile

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just got back from a week of hunting in CO and me and my hunting buddy used a 6-man Seek Outside tipi and a SO large stove. It was just about right for the 2 of us plus gear and a couple of day's worth of wood inside although, I kinda wish I had sprung for the 8-man tipi. For 3, plus gear, the 8-man would be the minimum but I'd personally go with a SO 12-man tipi and an extra large stove. By the way, we camped at just under 11,000 ft. and were comfortable although, it was a bit close on occasion. Seek Outside makes an excellent tipi and stove and I have been very pleased with their service and quality.

Last edited by Biggs300; 10/27/14.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
There are three of us going on an elk hunt (first rifle season) to Colorado next fall. All three of us are between 5'10" and 6'1", 180-210 pounds.

We're going to be needing a tent with stove capabilities to do a full first season (one week) run at up to 12,000 feet. Yes, I've hunted this area before, and yes, if it's still warm the elk will be that high.

We're looking for a floorless tipi-style or tarp style tent, stove compatible, and lightweight, but with enough room for three guys and their gear for an elk hunt.

Here's the rub: none of us routinely hunt with that many people in the party. Generally, we're solo or occasionally with one other person. This hunt is a once-every-so-many-years type gig. So, one of us will end up with this tent after the hunt and if it could work well for our usual hunts, that'd be perfect.

Suggestions?

Strongly considering a base+tarp+base LBO set up with a stove for this trip based upon the trip needs and the highlighted rub to the whole deal.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have the eight man SO. To me the ability to stand up and move around or hang gear to dry makes it a no-brainer. I don't know what kind of deal you guys are looking at as to who buys the thing, but you could end up fighting over it by the end of the trip.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pgsalton
We used the ti-goat 7.5 vertex and their small Wifi woodstove on recent Roosevelt elk hunt on Afognak Island, Alaska, and it worked great. We even squeezed 4 people into the tent, and once, in years past, we slept 5. At just a little over a pound per person for shelter it is really hard to beat.

Our recent hunt was boat based and we would go ashore with camping gear and hike until we found the elk. No base camps - just hike around with all the gear all the time. We'd call the boat to where we ended up when we got an elk. So lightweight was key. I'd think the Ti-Goat vertex 7.5 with Wifi stove would be just about perfect for what the original poster wanted for CO elk. Or, alternatively the Seek Outside 6 man teepee. Really any teepee and woodstove under 6 pounds and with around 120 square feet inside would work great.

Below is a link to a video of our recent hunt - it shows just how comfortable teepee camping with a woodstove can be. And those Roosevelt elk sure are big!

http://vimeo.com/109401605

Patrick

Great video Patrick...I saw you in the Kodiak airport on Oct 10th picking someone up, but you looked busy or I would have said "HI". Love the videos you put together, great stuff sir!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,783
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.