-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have 95 Euros left over from a trip to Italy. I took them to the bank today (the same bank where I bought the Euros before the trip and it cost only $12 to convert the original dollars to euros, and there was about $8,000 of them). Now they want to charge me $25 to convert 95 Euros back to US dollars. Seems pretty pricy. Is there a better, less expensive way to turn them back into US dollars?

Thanks.
Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That's a bank for you. When you left, they had competition. You could have taken your dollars with you, converted them there, and the bank would get nothing. Now that you're back, you can't hold them for a better rate and they know it.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
That's a bank for you. When you left, they had competition. You could have taken your dollars with you, converted them there, and the bank would get nothing. Now that you're back, you can't hold them for a better rate and they know it.

Maybe, but it's a small town bank and I've been with them for about 35 years. The executive VP lives across the street. One of these days when he's walking his dog I might just ask him about it.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Find somebody heading for Europe and exchange them at the going rate and everybody will be better off and no bank cost involved. You can thank me latter. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Wells Fargo converted some leftover Brazilian Reals and Malaysian Ringgits totaling about $50US for me and gave me the true exchange rate. My credit union wouldn't do it because it was less than $100...

Quando omni flunkus moritati
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Think like a rifle looney. Buy a ticket to Europe so you can spend those last 95 euros... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
commercial transaction always favors the bank. Silly to expect otherwise.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
commercial transaction always favors the bank. Silly to expect otherwise.

Goes without saying. But $25 for a $95 transaction? There ought to be a better way.

Steve.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Banks are single purpose entities - making as much money as possible by using yours. They are doing that because they can - if you cooperate.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Think like a rifle looney. Buy a ticket to Europe so you can spend those last 95 euros... wink

Exactly! I have some .264 Mag and .45-90 ammo I need to buy rifles for. crazy

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

My wife and I had about 100 Euros left over from a trip we took last year to Rome, Portugal and Spain. I thought of saving the Euros for our next trip ... then, I found a much finer use for the money.

Our Catholic parish has been blessed with the presence of a fine young seminarian. The young man is at the parish from dawn to goodness knows what time every evening ... he works his butt off.

Currently, he is a transitional deacon and is going to finish up his education at the Pontificial North American College in Rome. My wife and I have been there many times and it is a superb university. Anyway, the seminarian plans to receive an Enhanced Doctorate in Theology from PNAC, just like his older brother.

We gave the 100 Euros to him ... with our total blessings.

At least in our minds, it was the right thing to do.

kd

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Not the least expensive option, but probably the most fun! Great idea!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We just put it in the piggy bank when we get home, then "rob" the bank then next time we go.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some good advice here. I've done it a few ways.

1. The BEST way I've found to trade Euros for Dollars is on your way back home to the good old US of A is with Americans traveling the other way, east. That has been the best and purest version I've done. You both know exactly what the other guy has and what it's worth in a free market.

Heck, I've even done it with Czech Korunas (crowns) and that was probably the easiest, cleanest transaction I've ever made exchanging currency with a fellow traveler in a public transport environment. And, we were both happy to make the deal.

2. Another option already mentioned by another camper is to just keep them for the next trip. I've done that, too. And, here's a little nugget of info on this option. If you feel you just HAVE to leave home with some Euros, you really only need no more than E100, max. Just something to get you through a European airport or two, maybe one train station, maybe one cab ride, maybe a meal or two at the most. After that, one of your first orders of business once you arrive at destination is to network with your hosts, restaurants, etc. to find the closest and best cambios to make your exchanges.

3. I don't ever buy from the banks, anymore. If we decide to buy any Euros here, it's from AAA. Their exchange is much better than the banks and you can easily check that exchange rate here to make sure it's something you're comfortable with.

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

Last edited by local_dirt; 10/25/14.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'd just hold on to them or trade them with someone going to Europe. Banks, especially local ones in a small town, will rip you off trying to exchange currency. If you really want to get rid of them then wait until you go through a large airport like Atlanta and trade them at the exchange counter, they still rip you off but not nearly as much as a local bank. A big bank in a major city will be better too.

I travel for a living and even overseas I never change cash, I always hit an ATM. They work all over the world and you'll get a much better exchange rate through them. Your bank will charge a foreign transaction fee but it's usually minimal. I took my MIL to Britain a few years ago and she showed up with a purse full of dollars. I told her not to but she wouldn't listen so the first day there we drove all over the place to find her a bank to change dollars into pounds, after that she was happy. I walked up to an ATM and pulled out a fist full of pound notes without the ridiculous exchange surcharge.

G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
street

u will always get better rates on the street, if u can hang on to them

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 21, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.