Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Kinda worries me that some people would mistake even a camoed up person for a turkey,

As natman stated it's not so much an issue of someone shooting a person he thought was a turkey but rather a case of hitting someone you didn't know was there. On public land here in Alabama a turkey gobbling on the limb at daylight can and often does draw multiple hunters into close proximity to one another in the early morning twilight. And since hunters orange is not a turkey season requirement they probably won't see one another. The lethal range on a human for even high powered number 4's (the largest legal shot for turkey's here) is probably less than 40 yards. Hopefully within that range they would see one another. The lethal range of a rifle is half a damn mile. And even if you hit the turkey they aren't going to stop most rifle bullets.

Another scenario I always think about in these debates is somebody with a realistic gobbler decoy set out in the edge of a field while he is tucked away in the edge of the woods. Somebody carrying a shotgun is going to have to get close enough to see that it's just a decoy before they would be in range to fire. But what if somebody carrying a high powered rifle spots this set up from 200 yards away on the other side of the field. Seems like a good way for the guy in the woods to get a bullet bounced into him.

If it's legal where you hunt then more power to you. I'm not knocking you for using a rifle or hunting in any way that's legal in your neck of the woods. But I'm glad it's not legal here. And the NWTF has nothing to do with it being illegal here. It's been illegal here since before there was a NWTF.

Last edited by Todd_Bradford; 10/20/14.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
in the late eighties early ninetys we had several scary years with people getting shot in the spring, shotguns, never understood how so many got shot when you have to see a beard. the state started making us wear orange when moving and put a band on nearby tree. it seems to be better but most people dont do it

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
in the late eighties early ninetys we had several scary years with people getting shot in the spring, shotguns, never understood how so many got shot when you have to see a beard. the state started making us wear orange when moving and put a band on nearby tree. it seems to be better but most people dont do it

Having hunted PA and hunted around PA hunters in other states, I can understand how that level of dumbphuckitude happens up there. No amount of orange can fix the stupid that afflicts many of those hunters.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Most people don't do it because they repealed that law about 7 years ago

People get shot because they shoot at sounds, or stalk a Gobbler they see and don't realize there is a hunter between him and that bird they see and shoot the other hunter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really need to pay more attention to the law changes. It used to be the rules never changed. Now it seems the PGC change the rules to catch you breaking them

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really need to pay more attention to the law changes. It used to be the rules never changed. Now it seems the PGC change the rules to catch you breaking them

The game laws are reprinted every year. It is your obligation to read them.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dont dispute that but you would have to read how complicated the regs have become in pa in the last ten years

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have. I've hunted there within the last ten years. As well as many other states.

You're going a long way toward reinforcing my experience and opinion of PA hunters.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'm having a real hard time understanding this thread. I can't figure out what is supposed to be sporting about propping up on a rest (or a pickup truck window) and shooting a turkey at 250 yards with a scoped rifle.
Also, the wild turkey is a delicacy that is held in such high regard in my part of the country that it is considered the most desirable of any wild game for table fare.
I'm scratching my head after reading this thread.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I don't put much time in turkey hunting,but when I do hunt them I use a 222,because I have a big open flat that the turkey can come out in at too many random locations to cover with a shotgun..I eat wild turkey ,and don't agree with the practice of just skinning out the breast.I skin it all,but I can't consider it a delicacy.I actually think store turkey taste better

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by m_gallopavo

I'm scratching my head after reading this thread.

And many of us scratch our heads wondering what is sporting about calling in a bird, often over bait,during their mating season and ground sluicing it with a shotgun.

Its a cultural thing...

But I will agree, they taste GREAT! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
ingwe, your so right about shooting turkeys with a shotgun... 3.5 in. magnums no less.. If they used rifles, there would be few turkeys taken home... Major Askins was correct shooting a turkey with a shotgun is little short of murder.

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ingwe,

I agree. They do taste great!!!

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I just think it's weird how if you use a rifle for anything anymore it's not considered "sporting". I feel more confident with a rifle so that's what I'll continue to use.

Anyhow I just picked up a Ruger 77 in .22 hornet. Anxiously waiting for next Saturday's fall opener here in PA.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ridgerunner85
I just think it's weird how if you use a rifle for anything anymore it's not considered "sporting". I feel more confident with a rifle so that's what I'll continue to use.

Anyhow I just picked up a Ruger 77 in .22 hornet. Anxiously waiting for next Saturday's fall opener here in PA.

I know what you mean. Our opener was today. I plan to go out tomorrow for my first day out. It will be my first Sunday hunt, since Virginia made it legal to do so. I'm taking my triple deuce. Good luck next Saturday.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Good luck to you as well. Sunday hunting must be nice.

I've killed a few with my .222. The .222 just seemed like a bit much for me. I usually take'em just outside of shotgun range.

Last edited by ridgerunner85; 10/25/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wish we could still use a rifle. Would use my great grandads 73Win .32/20. It's what he turkey hunted with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe

And many of us scratch our heads wondering what is sporting about calling in a bird, often over bait,during their mating season and ground sluicing it with a shotgun.
Its a cultural thing...

Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
ingwe, your so right about shooting turkeys with a shotgun... 3.5 in. magnums no less.. If they used rifles, there would be few turkeys taken home... Major Askins was correct shooting a turkey with a shotgun is little short of murder.

The "ground sluicing" comment implies that the turkey should be taken on the wing like a pheasant. Wingshooting turkeys would result in a lot of wounded birds.

The safety aspects of using a shotgun during turkey season have been well covered. The entire idea of ethical hunting is a clean kill. I don't see how it would be more sporting if a less effective method of dispatch were used. At least with a shotgun you have to call the bird into close range.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
As mentioned...its a cultural difference....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dead nuts on ingwe, we all get too caught up in what we do or like and forget that others have different pasts. I dont like treestand hunting, but if you do it it is legal and not my business

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1936M71, 16penny, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 47 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,514
Posts18,452,673
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.