Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I like some Canadian whiskeys. My go to is Wisers. I like Alberta Springs, as well, but I can usually get Wiser's at the duty free for less than $15/liter. Myu brothers and a lot of friends like Crown Royal, but to me it has a kind of chemical undertaste. Around here, most people mean say "Rye" when they really mean "Canadian." Canadian is not usually straight rye whiskey. There's a lot of corn and barley in it. Actually, I like good whiskeys of all types, but seldom drink distilled spirits any more.

Mathew 22: 37-39

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PSE
Originally Posted by NMiller
Crown is good, especially the Black version, but I am no aficionado.

What do you find different between the regular crown and the black? Is black worth the extra money??

The black is very smooth, and seems to have a more "full bodied" taste, in my opinion. Only worth the extra money when I find it on sale!

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used to drink walkers special old when I drank rye. Not sure if it was good whiskey, just know it got the job done wink

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
One of the problems that I see with Canadian whisky is that it does not have an identity of it's own. Even calling it rye is a misnomer left over from when rye was the popular type of whisky produced in Canada. To be called Rye, the whisky has to be made from 51% or more rye in the mash bill. Most of the popular or typical Canadian whiskies are not Rye.

Canadian whisky needs an identity unique to Canada and something that defines what it is about Canadian whisky that makes it different or unique other than just being an aged distilled grain spirit that is produced there.

Some Canadian distillers are trying to produce a unique product. Forty Creek (as has been previously mentioned) produces corn whisky, malt whisky and rye whisky and ages each separately in barrels with different toast levels and then blends them together with a certain taste profile as it's goal. And they succeed. It does taste unique and is made in a unique process. If this process was standardized across the Canadian whisky industry as a process that makes a whisky "Canadian", the Canadian whisky industry would be on it's way to an identity.

Another possibility would be to age Canadian whisky in maple casks for some specified minimum time or using maple staves, (not maple flavoring!) this would give Canadian Whisky a unique process that would say "Canadian". Collingwood whisky is produced in Canada and ages their whisky with maple wood chips. This gives their whisky a unique flavor profile (like it or hate it). I happened to like it but not the perfume bottle they use. Anyway, that's my take. Just making primarily bland, light, blends by a distillery that happens to be in Canada will not and has not served the reputation of Canadian Whisky in the world.

Last edited by cooper57m; 11/03/14.
P
PSE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
^
Very good response to the OP's question.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you want a good "sipper" ie: over ice or with a splash of water, try Crown Royal Cask. the price might make you panic but as a treat its very nice. smile

For you folks south of the border (ok, and Alaskans as well- found some in Juneau this summer) the Costco Rye in the purple box is so frighteningly close to Crown you could pour it into a crown bottle and pass it off as such to most of the people. Especially in a mixed drink.

RC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cooper57m
One of the problems that I see with Canadian whisky is that it does not have an identity of it's own. Even calling it rye is a misnomer left over from when rye was the popular type of whisky produced in Canada. To be called Rye, the whisky has to be made from 51% or more rye in the mash bill. Most of the popular or typical Canadian whiskies are not Rye.

Canadian whisky needs an identity unique to Canada and something that defines what it is about Canadian whisky that makes it different or unique other than just being an aged distilled grain spirit that is produced there.

Some Canadian distillers are trying to produce a unique product. Forty Creek (as has been previously mentioned) produces corn whisky, malt whisky and rye whisky and ages each separately in barrels with different toast levels and then blends them together with a certain taste profile as it's goal. And they succeed. It does taste unique and is made in a unique process. If this process was standardized across the Canadian whisky industry as a process that makes a whisky "Canadian", the Canadian whisky industry would be on it's way to an identity.

Another possibility would be to age Canadian whisky in maple casks for some specified minimum time or using maple staves, (not maple flavoring!) this would give Canadian Whisky a unique process that would say "Canadian". Collingwood whisky is produced in Canada and ages their whisky with maple wood chips. This gives their whisky a unique flavor profile (like it or hate it). I happened to like it but not the perfume bottle they use. Anyway, that's my take. Just making primarily bland, light, blends by a distillery that happens to be in Canada will not and has not served the reputation of Canadian Whisky in the world.

Great post, couldn't agree more !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
According to family lore, Canadian whisky kept our family fed during prohibition. Having family farms straddling the Dakota / Canadian border apparently had its advantages.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
For a bottle that walks the line between blue and white collar Gibsons is the best. I am a big fan, and have a small reserve of the old 18yo corked bottles. Best Rye Whiskey IMO.
If you can get on the list Okanagan Spirits has a very good Rye and it's worth the money if it's your thing.
Personally Canadian Club and Royal Reserve have tainted the whole deal for lots of folks.
That said Jack Daniels is about the worst bloody swill I've come across and would make a good cup of ethanol with some cola in it seem appealing.
And before anyone thinks I hate bourbon, a good couple fingers of makers mark and the finest Jim beam I will not pass down. It's JD's " I just sucked a lighter dry" taste that makes me hate it.

Last edited by rem338win; 11/05/14.

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I put American Bourbon first, when it comes to reputation and taste. Scotch is not an drink I like, but it has a solid reputation world wide.
Canadian Whiskey is a great product, and brands like Canadian Club and Crown Royal speak for themselves. Taste, quality and reputation are the equal of just about anything.

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=PSE]I, being Canadian, of course like Canadian Whiskey also sometimes called Rye whiskey up here but it seems on an international level it is somewhat scorned and looked down upon by many as not being in the same class as Scotch, Irish and Bourbon whiskey.
Why is this?? Is it just poor marketing by Canadian Spirits companies?? Snobbery??
I've run across several derogatory remarks by afficianados who seem to think that people who like this spirit have uneducated and/or unsophisticated palates.

Not trying to start a whiskey fight, just trying to understand.

Perhaps our American and British friends can comment? [/quote
Why you say? Could it be because it basically sucks??!!
When I drank many years ago I tolerated Rye but then, I tolerated most booze!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
P
PSE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I was hoping for something a little more objective than "It basically sucks" but if your experience is limited then "It basically sucks" will have to do. I guess??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been drinking a lot of whiskey for 45 years now, naturally I will drink whatever is offered but when it's up to me, Canadian Whiskey all the way. From the start Canadian Club got the nod but the last 20 yrs Canadian Mist is my favorite. the only other whiskey that I will buy is Mcnaughton's.

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I generally think Canadian whiskey is piss.

Crown Royal is drinkable, but just okay at best.

Pendleton is easily better.

And Wiser's Very Old is actually pretty damm good. Too bad it has doubled in price around here recently.....

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I don't drink much of it any more and my old favourite Rye Wiskey is no longer available (VO), but many years ago I found myself in a southern California tavern with some time to kill. Not knowing what brands they might carry I asked the bar tender for a rye, rather than specifying a brand. He gave me a foul look and said rather tersely "We're a respectable place. We don't serve that here."
I was shocked and he could tell so he said maybe we were having a misunderstanding "What brand are you thinking of?" I couldn't come up with a brand name right away so blurted out "Canadian Club."
"Oh" he said. "That's not Rye! That's Canadian Whiskey."

He pointed out there isn't a word on the bottle about it being rye and he was right, but in Canada it is known as Rye and has it printed on the bottles. At least 40 years ago this was the case. Darned if I know what's on the bottles these days but I noticed a section in the liquor store (in Canada) last week that was labeled "RYE".

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I am basically in the camp of those who don't care for Canadian Whiskey..Im a bourbon drinker, so there you have it.

I will make mixed drinks with Canadian....but thats basically molesting good whiskey.

Its all in the tastes one develops... I wouldn't pour scotch down any drain I had respect for.......

Blondes, brunettes, and redheads.......

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
PSE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
A good friend just tonight brought over some Gibson's Finest 12 year old and we shared a drink or two.

Dammit�.He took the rest of the bottle with him when he left!!!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My Dad was an OFC guy, I have his last 2 bottles, I cannot find it in SW GA or N FL any more? I was a Crown Royal guy for many years, Dad said it was too rich, upset his tummy! LMAO The folks at Bluegrass stockyards in LEX KY got me started on Woodford Reserve, best bourbon Ive ever had ! White whiskey in summertime, brown in winter! very best winpoor

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, Algotguns, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,465 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,570
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.