Hop To
#9284129 10/25/14
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm a revolver guy when it comes to handguns. I've got a couple of autoloaders but for playing around, I like revolvers. For a CCW however, I like autos.

I went down to Bud's today to shop around for a serious CCW pistol and found the Kahr CT9's priced at $289.95. I'm a bit familiar with the Kahrs but didn't really know the specifics of each model,..so I asked them what was the difference between the >$300 CT9 and the $550 Kahr mid size 9mm.

All they could come up with was a slight difference in the front sight and the fact that the lower priced model had conventional rifling instead of polygonal.

I haven't gotten around to shooting it yet, but this thing seems pretty slick for a $300 pistol in today's market.

This one.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
good snag

of the two I've had the most familarity with, the cheaper version ran like clock the lil PM version had some burps

you should get what you pay for, but you don't always

don't see how you can go wrong at that price.

good chootin to ya

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good pistols! And not a lot of difference in the two guns for such a huge price discount. All the Kahrs I've owned have been great handguns. Reliable & accurate!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
On some of their cheaper models the slide release is cast rather than forged. That plus the couple things you mentioned are all I know of.

I have a P-380 and love the Kahr triggers. It is also more accurate than it should be.
[Linked Image]

That's just a 10 yard target. The first shot was aimed for center and then I shot the rest at the first hole as fast as I could get on target. Maybe only impressive to me but I've been shooting pocket pistols since the days of the 25's. I remember several 25's that weren't accurate enough to hit a can from two feet away. There are 4 in the center before I got sloppy.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 10/25/14.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Yeah,..the trigger is what sealed the deal for me.

It's taboo for me to dry fire a gun, but trigger pull is important on a DAO handgun, so I asked the guy if I could cycle it one time.

I haven't played with a lot of them, but it's a pretty good DAO trigger.

Not as slick as a K-frame S&W, but plenty good enough.

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
why is it "taboo" to dryfire? Dryfiring has been an established (great) way to train for a century now. Other than Stars and the rimfires, if dryfiring hurts the gun, it's a piece of trash.

Last edited by squesh; 10/25/14.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I'm a revolver guy when it comes to handguns. I've got a couple of autoloaders but for playing around, I like revolvers. For a CCW however, I like autos.

I went down to Bud's today to shop around for a serious CCW pistol and found the Kahr CT9's priced at $289.95. I'm a bit familiar with the Kahrs but didn't really know the specifics of each model,..so I asked them what was the difference between the >$300 CT9 and the $550 Kahr mid size 9mm.

All they could come up with was a slight difference in the front sight and the fact that the lower priced model had conventional rifling instead of polygonal.

The CT comes with only one magazine, IIRC, while the other model comes with two. Extra magazines run about $25-26 or so..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Yeah,...but Kahr has an introductory offer where they'll send you a free magazine if you send them a copy of your receipt.

I ran a magazine through it and it seems to do what it's supposed to do.

I had heard that Kahrs need a few rounds to get broken in. I racked the slide on this one a few times and it felt as smooth as glass. I don't think any break in is going to be necessary.

The more I study this pistol, the more I like it.

It's just bare bones. No extraneous safeties, hammer drops or tactical rails,...just a well executed, polymer frame pistol with attention paid to the important stuff.

I believe that their simplicity is the key to their popularity.

Also,..I think the guy who designed the Kahr line of pistols is a fairly sharp guy. The frame, of course, is molded polymer,..no big cost to make that,..and the slide is of a simple rectangular shape which pretty much only requires straight line milling to fabricate.

In other words,..from a manufacturing standpoint, it's an easy thing to fabricate. But as I said, they seem to have paid attention to the important functional parts.

The trigger is wide, smooth, and cycles easily and the feed ramp of the barrel is brightly polished. The sights are basic square notch with white dots and very easy to pick up.

It's a full size 9mm, single stack magazine pistol that weighs 20 ounces unloaded. It's .9" wide,..8+1 capacity.

My example shoots very close to point of aim at 15 yards.

It costs 289.95 at Bud's.

If somebody wants a slim, light, full size CCW pistol, I don't think they can beat this offering. The fact that you can buy them for under $300 is just icing on the cake.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The CT -vs- PM series is fairly explained.
Different rifling types, front sight staked versus dove tail, cast controls versus milled and simpler markings on the CT.

I have the CW9 which is just a tad bigger then your CT9.

Mine was a bit picky of bullet profile when new but after about 300 RDS could care less what I feed it. Its carried with Gold Dot Short Barrel loads

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Mine has proven so reliable it earned a spot in my carry gun rotation, especially when I need to carry "small" in hot weather. I've fed it a steady diet of Fed HST with zero hiccups.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah,...but Kahr has an introductory offer where they'll send you a free magazine if you send them a copy of your receipt.

I ran a magazine through it and it seems to do what it's supposed to do.

I had heard that Kahrs need a few rounds to get broken in. I racked the slide on this one a few times and it felt as smooth as glass. I don't think any break in is going to be necessary.

The more I study this pistol, the more I like it.

It's just bare bones. No extraneous safeties, hammer drops or tactical rails,...just a well executed, polymer frame pistol with attention paid to the important stuff.

I believe that their simplicity is the key to their popularity.

Also,..I think the guy who designed the Kahr line of pistols is a fairly sharp guy. The frame, of course, is molded polymer,..no big cost to make that,..and the slide is of a simple rectangular shape which pretty much only requires straight line milling to fabricate.

In other words,..from a manufacturing standpoint, it's an easy thing to fabricate. But as I said, they seem to have paid attention to the important functional parts.

The trigger is wide, smooth, and cycles easily and the feed ramp of the barrel is brightly polished. The sights are basic square notch with white dots and very easy to pick up.

It's a full size 9mm, single stack magazine pistol that weighs 20 ounces unloaded. It's .9" wide,..8+1 capacity.

My example shoots very close to point of aim at 15 yards.

It costs 289.95 at Bud's.

If somebody wants a slim, light, full size CCW pistol, I don't think they can beat this offering. The fact that you can buy them for under $300 is just icing on the cake.

Once broken in, they're good pistols. I LOVE the ergonomics, that's a category where Kahr just excels. My experience is that they honestly do need the 250 round break in, and that's just never a bad idea anyhow. Once you have 250 rounds it should be good to go.

My only complaint is the sharp edges on the slide stop, which is easily fixed with a needle file. Other than that, I really like them.

And personally, I'll take conventional rifling over polygonal every day of the week.

Congratulations...what a great deal!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sweet...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Redneck
Sweet...

Correct, but it is only good through Oct 31, act now.

http://www.kahr.com/MagPromo2014.asp

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Dry firing a gun is akin to dry humping.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
703 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 11point, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 87 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.