Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I decided that while my Browning 1885 BPCR in 45-70 has a 2.125" chamber I've been using Winchester or Starlinie brass which is way too short for that chamber. Most check out at 2.095-2.098. Not good.

So, I bought some 45-90 brass and am in the process of trimming them back to the proper length. I'll probably wear out my Forster Original case trimmer trying to knock out 40 cases but I'm getting there.

Another thought is I have 100 Starline cases that are new. Not sure what I'm going to do with those yet. With the shorter cases there's a jump at the transition of the chamber that can gather lead and be the devil to get out. That's the reason for choosing longer cases to trim to avoid all that.

Anyone else do this or do you just bang away with shorter cases as I was doing?

Last edited by Kitch; 10/22/14.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The answer is actually pretty simple,....and this DOES work.

Expose a grease groove, this is going to mean more powder, less compression, or thicker wads.

Upon the first initial firing impetus the base of the bullet is "Slugging up", ....another way to put this is that the base has gone into motion, but the nose is still stationary. The annular ring of lube will fill your "Gap" and the bullet once in motion will be sliding over it.
Lead ringing should cease to be a problem.

Don't knock this 'til you've tried it.

Luck

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sounds reasonable to me and I do have two moulds that allow exposing half or a whole grease groove. The Brook's Postell does not nor does the Saeco 645 so, I have to deal with them differently. I figure by trimming these already too long cases I'll solve all problems, exposed grease groove or not.

If I increase the powder for the Postell I'm screwing up an already great load by adding more powder/different wad. that bullet already gives me 1-1/2" groups and I don't want to alter that.

Last edited by Kitch; 10/22/14.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Kitch,

Crossfireoops' technique does work, but another option is to stretch the .45-70 cases. Buffalo Arms sells a very reasonably priced case stretcher made by Tim Smith-Lyon. The price is $39.95 + shipping. Here's an article that I wrote on the subject that you might find interesting.

http://www.texas-mac.com/Stretching_Short_Brass_To_Fit_Your_BPCR_Chamber.html

Wayne

Last edited by texasmac; 10/22/14.

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wow !

Hadn't seen that Smith-Lyon setup before, mac. That is SLICK ! Really enjoyed reading your article, Se�or.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ran into that awhile back with a .40-.38-55 muzzle loading cartridge gun. Standard brass was a fair bit short, but the .38-55 basic brass that I picked up from BACO was near perfect out of the bag.

Anyone need some standard .38-55 brass? Winchester production as I recall.

Barry Darr is a crafty ol' fella....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wayne-I'm a bit leery of brass stretching. It seems to me you gain length while you loose somewhere else, specifically the head and that's not a good place to loose brass. Moreover, the cost of such equipment is several times more than just trimming the 45-90 brass.

Last edited by Kitch; 10/23/14.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Depends, mostly on how far it has been stretched.

I have some .45-70 Remington stretched to .45-90 that I have been shooting for years. It doesn't weaken the head, just thins part of the body.

The minor stretching referred to by the OP isn't nearly that much.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Kitch
Wayne-I'm a bit leery of brass stretching. It seems to me you gain length while you loose somewhere else, specifically the head and that's not a good place to loose brass. Moreover, the cost of such equipment is several times more than just trimming the 45-90 brass.

Kitch,

If you read the article you'll find that neither of you assumptions are correct. The brass is not stretched in the head area and for around $40 you can pick up a case stretcher.

Wayne

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by texasmac
Originally Posted by Kitch

Kitch,

If you read the article you'll find that neither of you assumptions are correct. The brass is not stretched in the head area and for around $40 you can pick up a case stretcher.

Wayne

If you add a few more grains of powder to a .45-70 load that's "Working Well", one may see the REAL accuracy potential from a well managed BPCR ,....one QUITE beyond what's been posted, thus far.

We KNOW what a basically "Plain Vanilla" BPCR WILL, and regularly does) do, and it's just flat WEIRD to try and discern what the OP is trying to do, other than wear out a trimmer, and ARGUE.

OK,....I don't have a damned thing further to say on this particular post.

.....jack chit

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 10/25/14.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
�If you add a few more grains of powder to a .45-70 load that's "Working Well", one may see the REAL accuracy potential from a well managed BPCR ,....one QUITE beyond what's been posted, thus far.�
--CrossFireOops

We have a winner here!

From �Modern Observations On Rifle Shooting�, by Edwin A Perry (3rd. edition, 1880), p. 17:

�The capacity for rifles to burn powder is widely different, some rifles reducing elevation until 110 grains have been used, while other do not change elevations for any amount over 95 grains.Find the capacity of the rifle and then use two or three grains more.� (Italics added: rcN)

The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
621 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.