Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9284364 10/25/14
A
AKHuck Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I watched the youtube video by Rinell about him giving himself, his crew and friends trichinosis by serving raw bear meat. One thing in the video is that he had the meat analyzed, it had about 400,000 larvae per pound! Egads! Nasty stuff.

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And they have found AK Trichinella is far less susceptible to freezing... Cook it or can it to be sure...

Rinella is a stand-up sort of guy for the way he handled the deal, IMO. I know his brother in passing here in town and he seems a good sort.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Eating sushi from bear and pig meat is asking for trouble. Make sure you cook it. I believe 160 degrees will kill Trichina parasites, but you might research this a bit more.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
160 is always the temperature given because it will kill trichinella INSTANTLY, but lower temps for longer periods will do it too. I'm not about to quote them offhand, but a little web search should come up with the temperature/time lengths.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And you can find the same info about freezing, just do not believe the published stats for AK bears unless they specify the difference in AK bears...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I know about the difference in freezing's effects on southern and northern strains, but the cooking info applies to all.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Has anyone actually seen a case of human Trichinosis?

Sounds pretty bad.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I know a guy who had it, because a friend of his made black bear jerky (from a Montana bear) just by drying the meat, not heating it at all. As I recall, he and the three other people who ate the jerky were about half the cases in the U.S. that year.

John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
See: ADF&G:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=disease.muscle2

It wasn't trichinosis, but I did get intestinal parasites once from eating raw sushi. Not fun. I would imagine that trichinosis is even worse.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting. We never heat jerky meat either. But have never shot a bear either.

I guess if I ever did I"d have tgo figure out how to heat jerky while drying it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I know a guy who had it, because a friend of his made black bear jerky (from a Montana bear) just by drying the meat, not heating it at all. As I recall, he and the three other people who ate the jerky were about half the cases in the U.S. that year.

Are they still friends?

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
How can anyone not know about bear/pig trichina?

I bet Lost Wages loves to see these guys come to town!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jeff,

It doesn't take much heat. As noted earlier, the long-recommended 160 degrees will kill the larvae just about instantly. Most people, however, cook pork at 160 for way too long, the reason it often turns out dry. But 21 hours at 120 will also do the job. In fact my wife (who does the vast bulk of the scientific cooking research in our house) usually makes jerky in an oven on a very low setting. All it does is speed up the drying process.

John Steinbeck
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I thought being a greasy meat, bear wasnt used for jerky.

I knew a woman years ago whos brother died from tric.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bear really isn't greasy meat, and neither is pork. Trim the fat off and the big cuts are pretty lean.

John Steinbeck
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
And render the fat for lard. It doesn't come any better.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
actually, a spring bear is fairly lean. This year I put up over 200 lbs of sausage, most of it, Jalape�o/herb and close to 150 lb, of jerky and pepperoni sized snack sticks. The jerky I hot smoke--160 degrees, for close to 2 hrs. and the snack sticks closer to 3 hrs. May dry it out a bit, but better safe then sorry and still makes for good snackin'.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not to belittle the potential problem of parasites in bear meat (and seal, walrus, etc), but fish - including salmon- which people seem to think is fine fare in raw form is very often riddled with a variety of nasties, some of which can become hosted by humans as well.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jeff,

It doesn't take much heat. As noted earlier, the long-recommended 160 degrees will kill the larvae just about instantly. Most people, however, cook pork at 160 for way too long, the reason it often turns out dry. But 21 hours at 120 will also do the job. In fact my wife (who does the vast bulk of the scientific cooking research in our house) usually makes jerky in an oven on a very low setting. All it does is speed up the drying process.

I've heard the oven method... but our batches are so big..... usually 50 or more pounds of meat to start with... LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Not to belittle the potential problem of parasites in bear meat (and seal, walrus, etc), but fish - including salmon- which people seem to think is fine fare in raw form is very often riddled with a variety of nasties, some of which can become hosted by humans as well.

That's why they recommend to first freeze fish that is intended for sushi.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
661 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.