Print Thread
Hop To
S
Shodd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I'd like to recall back when I first logged onto the campfire forum. I remember thinking to myself how excited I was to be able to ask for advice or to relate some of my experiences with other fellow woodmen who have a similar love of the outdoors.

Well in short it all went rather well until I started to discover something that was a bit of a surprise.

The art of respectful internet debate! Sound simple! Yet not so easy for a beginner.

Yes in short order I continually found myself in rather heated debates with a number of fellas. Though I found myself slipping and not entirely adept to respectful internet debate there was however something that I did notice.

I have always had a great amount of respect for individual I would encounter in life that were able to teach me great things about moral value, respect, or right from wrong.

Often times what was learned was acquired more from example than words and I have always been one to watch for what I see to be good.

Recently here on the fire I found myself in a rather heated debate with a fella by the name of 2muchgun. Before long I found myself slinging insults and behaving in a manner or fashion that to be frank I became rather ashamed of.

Yes, this is just the internet and nobody knows who I am but the point is, I know who I am, what kind of folks I admire, and as a younger man who I want to be.

There are a very large number of folks on the campfire that I really admire and I'd like to say thank you for the example you set in respectfully debating. I admire that example and it doesn't go unnoticed.

I'd like to think that as a outdoorsman there is much more to the package than just knowing guns.

For myself its a way of life and includes the highest standard of moral conduct. It is the reason many of us teach our children this way of life.

I'm ashamed of my behavior the last few days and so have decided to work harder carry on the tradition of maral value and further to be an example that younger men and women can admire, by following the examples of respectful men I have come to admire both in everyday life and here on the fire.

My apologies to 2muchgun.

And please sir, a little less coffee.

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 10/25/14.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Tikka's are still the turd polishers dream..

How ya holdin up?

S
Shodd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rosco1

How ya holdin up?

laugh

Shod

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow. Not used to seeing my name in lights blush

I hope you mean what you say. Apology accepted, and no hard feelings. I also hope you now understand why I did what I did.

I am as old school as they come. Yes I dog on people's rifles/scopes, but not on rifle/scope owners, personally. Yes I'm very opinionated. But not on things in which I've no experience.

I know when I'm being an azzhat, and do so purposefully. I'm not nearly as "angry" as some may see me. Quite the opposite, actually.

"Insulting" a rifle is not the same as insulting a person. I draw that line. And require the same of others. I'm not disrespectful, but not nearly as good at holding my tongue as some, when I feel others are being disrespectful or talking out their a$$. I'm not a punk, and don't like punks. Fortunately, most hunters/shooters are NOT punks.

In short, I'm quite certain I'd get along superfluously with 99% of all 24HCF members in person, even if they were packing Tikkas and A-Bolts.... grin

Guns are guns, people are people.

Now hopefully this thread will soon die grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have found myself saying things to one or two individuals, not surprisingly, in the optics section that I'm not very proud of either. One individual in particular, "E", for whatever reason seemed to just get under my skin and I'm sure I looked silly and downright rude to him several years ago. I did, in an attempt to show a sign of remorse, apologize to him and even sent him some Leupold logo items (think it was a hat and a knife IIRC), but that doesn't excuse my behavior toward him. There are probably more, but so long as I stay away from the main "Hunters Campfire" section, I've found it much easier to control my comments.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I put E on ignore years ago. But not because I dislike him personally or feel that he is a bad person in any way. Just felt like he was a broken record. He would probably be hoot at a campfire and I would gladly welcome him....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shodd, that's a rare display of humility.

Maybe it will catch on?

Maybe not.

Well done anyway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bobnob17
Shodd, that's a rare display of humility.

Maybe it will catch on?

Maybe not.

Well done anyway.

+1

I've refrained for the most part of slinging insults for the 10+ years I've been here. Its not hard to do. When I get irritated, I normally do a post as a WORD document, read it before I copy/paste into a thread. Its way too easy to write and vent at the same time. "Send" seems to be make sense at the moment.

Well done.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

In short, I'm quite certain I'd get along superfluously with 99% of all 24HCF members in person, even if they were packing Tikkas and A-Bolts.... grin

A-Bolts? Talk about an overpriced POS.......

Just kidding. Please, no discussion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rosco1

How ya holdin up?

Kumbaya... Ok. Wonderful. Glad you girls kissed and made up! grin

Gotta go, time to polish my turds.

Last edited by 1Deernut; 10/26/14.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
We all saw the fight going on between you two. The best thing for the rest of us to do was stay out of it and not dog pile. It's a pretty honorable thing for shod to offer a humble apology and for 2muchgun to accept. I hope you guys can get past the insults and differences and put them behind you. We (campfire members) are a lot more alike than not.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hi- as one who mildly called out on the optics forum yesterday (or so) I am pleased to no end. Really nice to see members shaking hands in the intended spirit of this site. I think you have just helped reaffirm the 'fire. Well done.

We got deer hunting in a week- best of luck to you both and to all. woo hoo

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
S
Shodd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
We got deer hunting in a week- best of luck to you both and to all. woo hoo [/quote]

That statement there just got me plum excited! laugh

I'm headed off for deer hunting here next week. grin

Shod

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gee, humility and respect on the Fire. Who woulda thought?
Maybe there is hope for intelligent conversation after all.
Way to go, Gents.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The deer should start rutting here soon. I have one buck tag left.

Game on......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey Shodd--

Drinking iced tea and not coffee right now grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Always a good idea to take the high road Shodd. Good on you for doing so.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Shodd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Hey Shodd--

Drinking iced tea and not coffee right now grin

I went with decaf this morning. laugh

Shod

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I read more then I post. only time I dogged someone on here was in a PM. The guy bought some Winchester Silver Tip bullets on this forum then two days later was trying to hock them for double the price on here. gave him a ration of SHI# for it.

Clos

NRA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,740
Posts18,457,663
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.