-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gas might make some difference? I usually run Sunoco or gas from one of the area's larger convenience store chains. Either gives pretty good mileage and has in my last three trucks over the years.

On the other hand, gas from the local Sam's Club station is really pizz poor for mileage. Same experience with the ol' girl's vehicles. She won't use Sam's gas.

Don't think I'd have any problem getting close to 22 MPG highway if my truck didn't have so much weight in it on a regular basis. But I gotta have my stuff along or I feel nekkid and helpless.

Also noticed that mileage dropped a bit when temps were in the teens and low 20s.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 2011 ran strong, til last week. Constant chirp. Took all the belts off, its the engine, right bank. Figure its a roller lifter chewing on the cam. So in the market for a truck. Looked at 2015 Chevy's, but since 2014 Silverados were the most recalled vehicle last year, im kinda leary of '14 and 15's.

Looked at a '14 F150 FX4 CC last night. For the money, I can get a 15 Chevy Z71. And WTF is up for F150 Locking diff? Its an open diff until you pull a knob, my Chevy(and the new ones) have Gov Loc G80. Kicks in on its own, no need to pull a damn knob.

Im convinced ill end up with one of 2 vehicles before New years. A 15 Chevy CC Z71, or a 15 Tacoma Double Cab($5000 cheaper than the Chevy).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was kinda thinking about buying a new rig but I think I'll slum my 99 Tahoe after hearing all this. I might use 1/4 quart of oil in 5000 miles..

[Linked Image]

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Id keep it too. But id not worry about oil loss in the new ones. Hell my 11 didnt use oil at all. 69,000 on it now. But, mine was an early 11, and thats when they started fixing the lifter issue, guess mine didnt make it...lol. Oh well, still under warranty. But im afraid of what little shavings are making it down south. The oil return holes and tolerances in general are tight on these 5.3's. Fix and cross my fingers it holds up past warranty, or buy new? Im figuring new.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gov loc is a POS. Not any different than a limited slip that i can tell. My 2009 Z71 has it and im not impressed. I had a 2013 F150 and that is a true locker. Will shred your tires when going around a corner.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Every GM 4x4 I've owned since '80, had their version of a locking rear. Never any issues, all went about where I wanted 'em to go within reason. I'll take a pass on shreddin' rear tires, btw.

Bought the '80 used in late fall of '85. First major snow storm we had after I got it, made it up the steep workplace driveway in 2WD, when one guy with a Ford F150 and another with a Ramcharger, barely made it up in FWD.

I probably had better tires than they did though, since I had just put new Firestone ATXs on it? So I "cheated" a bit.

whistle

Posi, limited slip, locker, whatever they're called. Would never own a 4x4 without one. Have known several guys over the years that had 4x4 pickups, Broncos, Blazers, Dodges and other rigs without any sort of limited slip rear in them. All were pretty much useless on icy/snow covered roads when the goin' got tough.

One bud found that out the hard way when he bought a new '94 Chevy off'n the lot without the locker. His old Chevy had it and got around pretty well. He got the new one stuck the first deer season, when he backed into a snow covered field entrance and got stuck.

Spin a wheel on either end and there ya sit, while my trucks with the GM "locker" generally just kept on chuggin' along.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yessir not much into shredding tires myself. What im saying is with the Chevy if you get one tire in a hole or off the ground and the other is rammed up in the fender well you would hope the one with traction would hook up and get you out. Not the case with my Z71 so not much of an electric locker in my opinion. Had to engage 4 wheel drive and have the front wheels pull it out.
Similar scenario with my F150 and engage the locker and drive out in 2wd.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dubePA

Posi, limited slip, locker, whatever they're called.

Lockers will lock up both wheels on which ever end you have them, or all four if you have a locker front and back. You have to engage them. Good for going straight and slow.

Limited slip will only transfer power to the wheel that has the most grip. It works without one having to engage.

Lockers are the real deal and a big difference compared to limited slip.

Last edited by battue; 12/27/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know guys are always down on the G80. Unless you are rock crawling or something, I can see why it is so bad. I have had Chevys with and without I and won't own another one without it. It will always spin both tires when I want it to.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue

Lockers will lock up both wheels on which ever end you have them, or all four if you have a locker front and back. You have to engage them. Good for going straight and slow.

Limited slip will only transfer power to the wheel that has the most grip. It works without one having to engage.

Lockers are the real deal and a big difference compared to limited slip.

Limited slip diffs are a big improvement over open diffs, but as you say, lockers are indeed the real deal.

Although it pains me to say it, the electronic traction gizmos fitted on modern 4x4's and AWD are also pretty good and in many respects can replace LSD's, but for serious off-roading, a rear locker is a must...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Know the difference between a true locking differential, of which there are several kinds and what is essentially a limited slip rear in my GM trucks. Thus far been happy with what I had.

I don't go places where I'd need a true locker. From what I've seen over the years, those who invest in lockers, lifts and big tires seem to be the ones playing where they ought not to be and getting stuck/beatin' the crap out of their trucks?

Fields, some mud and snow, never a problem so far with what I've had. Point was that the GM rears that they call locking rears, have always gotten me "there and back" with four wheel drive.

Walked the '02 S10 ZR2 out of hub deep spring thaw mud once and a few other nasty places I got into a time or two. More than once wallered the '80 shortbed uphill through knee deep snow to get into hunting camp. Took some repeated bashing, got where I wanted to be.

The last two trucks have been a few places a bit more tame, but I haven't stuck a truck in over 40 years. 2WD or 4WD.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by specialK
Gov loc is a POS. Not any different than a limited slip that i can tell. My 2009 Z71 has it and im not impressed. I had a 2013 F150 and that is a true locker. Will shred your tires when going around a corner.

The G80 is a true locker. One wheel spins til a certain rpm and then a little cam locks both axles. People that think its a POS usually blow it out rock climbing, or running bigger tires than factory. Its a 10 bolt after all, not built to beat the piss out of...but I do, and mines held up great....

[Linked Image]

.....motor not so much. Goes in the shop Monday for valvetrain and cam.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mid size trucks, but shows off the G80 well

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
All i can say is enjoy your G80 and if your ever in the rugged terrain of SENM bring your tow strap and clevices.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And that's kind of the point of "defending" the GM version they call a locking differential: Most of us will seldom if ever venture into places where it won't do the job.

I don't rock climb, mud bog, thrash in deserts, or go offroad nutso with my trucks. Pretty much know where I can go and where I shouldn't in the areas I travel, so no problems.

The time I got the S10 hub deep in the goo, was a mistake on my part. Pulled off the edge of a stoned parking lot because it was full, didn't realize the surrounding muck was that bad.

Realized that was a dumb move instantly, but got out of it. Cost me a small fortune at a car wash to de-funk the truck, too.

blush

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hear ya. I dont rock crawl or mud bog either but when i am hunting i do find myself in some really rough and some times shouldnt be driving thru terrain. Took both my Ford and Chevy though a lot of the same terrain and Ford locker is the winner by a long shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While the Chevy's trudging through you can hear the Ford echo "wait up, I forgot to pull the knob, knob, knob, knob!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 1998 Chevy has 143,000 miles on it and the G80 has performed flawlessly the entire time I've owned it. In the ten years I lived Alaska and the six in Colorado I've put well over 45,000 miles on it in 4WD.

About a year ago I changed the fluid and everything looked perfect. The only contamination was some ultra fine particles from the clutches which are normal and expected.

I have zero complaints with the G80 in my truck.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Bought a 2015 and the mileage has been better than I expected. 20.5 mpg on my 55 mile per day commute, which is about 75% highway and 25% city and on one longer trip so far it was 22.8 mpg

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You can have the active fuel management turned off. If you do you will never have the oil consumption issues many have had.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 44mc, Ashworth, 11 invisible), 1,264 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,260
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.