Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
swag Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Got one a few weeks ago. When the math starts adding up and with a decent trade in, hard to pass one up!

Overall, nice truck, gas mileage seems to be better then expected. Some things bug me about it though...

1.) What the hell is the deal with shutting off cylinders constantly? Every time I look at the DIC, the damn thing says V4. It's a total puss in V4 too, then when you give it more gas it will kick back into V8. I hate this and want to figure a way to program it off the computer. If that's how they want to make nice gas mileage, fooey!

2.) 8.5q oil pan on the 5.3 engine.

3.) I like to run a board width wise in my bed to keep things in place. You know the two slots on each side? The slots are only about 8" from the front of the bed and the back slots about the same from the tailgate...useless!

There's other things, but I figured I would stop now before the Ford and Dodge boys chime in mad

Matt

GB2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
8.5 qts to allow for oil loss.

(Sorry, wife ad an 07 model known for mysterious oil loss)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never had any oil leak issues with GM trucks spanning the past 45 years, but WTH? That covers inline sixes and assorted V8s going back to the 283.

Looked at some "left over" 2014 Silverados yesterday. Fairly good selection in our area with most dealers, but dropping rapidly. I suspect the current offers of up to $9500 off sticker price is having an effect on inventories?

Might get me one yet?

My 2010 Z71 has that fuel computer doohickus, but since it doesn't show up on the driver info readout, never bothered me none. It is also useless if ya live in hilly terrain like I do.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Sent PM SWAG...

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Picking up my "leftover" 2014 up later today. Finally decided I couldn't pass up that much of a discount while there was still a decent selection of 1500s around to choose from.

Financed part of this deal like I did the one in 2010, but the interest rate is about half it was back then and the payments are $45 less. Retired now, days of paying cash for a new truck have passed.

Double cab "all star edition" 4x4 w/trailer package. More bells'n whistles on this one than on my 2010.

BTW, those cross bed slots you mentioned are identical in spacing to the ones in the bed of my 2010. My only gripe is that I liked the way the back doors opened better on my old truck, than with the new one.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B2

S
swag Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Sounds nice dube. The discounts are crazy for sure. There's a lot of nice features. I traded in my 2005 Silverado towards this one. This slots were about double the depth they are now. I added wheel well liners to the back, something the factory should have done IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine came with those liners installed. Needed item, since my 2010 had a bad habit of throwing mud into the back of the tailight housings through the dumbarsed vent slots in the wheel box. My trucks see lots of use on gravel roads and mud is a PITA.

Happy so far, still trying to sort out all them friggin' bells and whistles that my old truck did not have. They could've left most of that crap outta there for an ol' goat like me, but apparently all pickups are now laden with such high tech gizmos?

eek

Almost makes me miss my 60s, 70s and 80s trucks. Almost. whistle

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by swag
Got one a few weeks ago. When the math starts adding up and with a decent trade in, hard to pass one up!

Overall, nice truck, gas mileage seems to be better then expected. Some things bug me about it though...

1.) What the hell is the deal with shutting off cylinders constantly? Every time I look at the DIC, the damn thing says V4. It's a total puss in V4 too, then when you give it more gas it will kick back into V8. I hate this and want to figure a way to program it off the computer. If that's how they want to make nice gas mileage, fooey!

2.) 8.5q oil pan on the 5.3 engine.

3.) I like to run a board width wise in my bed to keep things in place. You know the two slots on each side? The slots are only about 8" from the front of the bed and the back slots about the same from the tailgate...useless!

There's other things, but I figured I would stop now before the Ford and Dodge boys chime in mad

Matt

The ford and dodge boys Lready know those problems with the GM's. There is a reason we don't have GM's. smile

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GM guys know to avoid Lambs and Furds, so it all kinda evens out. I figure the primary reason for the F150 selling more pickups each year, relates to why we have Obumble in the White House:

Low information voters. Low information truck buyers. whistle

And then there's that Remington vs Winchester thing that's been around fer a spell. Blondes, brunettes or redheads and so on.

smirk

BTW, I see that Chrysler/Fiat is recalling a few hundred thousand (2010 to 2014?) Cummins powered Lambs for faulty fuel heaters that might could cause fuel leaks, mebbe fires? 'Sposed to look if ya smell fuel.

Best part, they're not sending recall notices out until sometime in DECEMBER!

shocked

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Cheesy
8.5 qts to allow for oil loss.

(Sorry, wife ad an 07 model known for mysterious oil loss)

I have an '07 model that had the same thing. (Almost all '07's had the oil problem) I fought with the Dealer over it, did my research and told them "I know all about the piston and ring fix that you don't want us to know about so either you fix it or you can keep it and I will buy elsewhere.

They fixed it by installing new pistons and rings. Some people were not so fortunate and had to live with the "losing a quart per month is acceptable" line.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dubePA
GM guys know to avoid Lambs and Furds, so it all kinda evens out. I figure the primary reason for the F150 selling more pickups each year, relates to why we have Obumble in the White House:

Low information voters. Low information truck buyers. whistle

And then there's that Remington vs Winchester thing that's been around fer a spell. Blondes, brunettes or redheads and so on.

smirk

BTW, I see that Chrysler/Fiat is recalling a few hundred thousand (2010 to 2014?) Cummins powered Lambs for faulty fuel heaters that might could cause fuel leaks, mebbe fires? 'Sposed to look if ya smell fuel.

Best part, they're not sending recall notices out until sometime in DECEMBER!

shocked

We know its not a GM recall, because they didn't wait until 80 people died before issuing it. Two instances of overheated connectors, no injuries was all it took........

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My neighbor just bought a 2014 with that camera in the tailgate. We haul a lot of stuff so that would be a nice feature, at least till it broke. Other than that I will keep my 2003 as it only has about 60,000 miles on it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a 09 silverado. I know the owner of the dealership. He made 258 bucks on my truck and its worth today what I paid for it in 09. It has to many bells and whistles and I will never own another truck with carpet. I'm not crazy about it except it rides and drives better than any truck I have ever drove and the seats are so comfortable its like a easy chair. I haven't experienced the oil consumption but I know its a issue, I just hope mine doesn't do that.

I was going to buy a new tundra but I drove 2 or 3 and hated them. I drove a king rancher and it was sweet but they wanted a new price for it and it was used, and then there are were spark plug issues. I didn't even consider a dodge, hate'em, they're ugly as sin and I know to many people that have had tranny problems.

Like women they all got their issues you just gotta find the one with the issues you can deal with.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have an '08 and have zero oil loss. Must be lucky.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No, you are the norm!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Frankly figured that...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an early 07 (4.3 liter) with zero oil issues, but then it only has 174,000+ miles. If I change oil at 5,000 mies, it is down about 1/2 quart at oil change.

So far repairs equals - one new clutch at 170,000 miles.

My only gripes are the damn spare tire holder and the heater controls. They must have been designed by an accountant. I'd like to shove that spare tire carrier up where the sun doesn't shine.

Last edited by Bugger; 11/21/14.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agree completely on the heater controls. Better set them where you want them before you take off, as those little buttons are hard to hit, and you need to watch the screen to know what you've chosen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coupla thousand on the new truck. First trip it averaged 20.9 MPG combo local/highway for about 400 miles.

This last trip for deer season, averaged 20.4 MPG highway on the way home (180 miles) and 16 MPG combined for around 790 miles (trip up, driving around locally for over two weeks).

Not bad for having it pretty much loaded to the gills with hunting stuff, a half dozen firearms, one pesky labrador and the 18" Stihl saw.

It ain't never gonna travel light, even when I ain't going hunting for two weeks. Too much stuff that I can't live without: Two 20' log chains, towing strap, half dozen HD ratchet straps, 2 ton come-along, two hydraulic jacks and probably a good 300lbs worth of assorted tools.

S
swag Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Got 4,000 on mine now dube. My gas mileage sucked the past two trips. I swear I had a nose wind each way both trips. I think best was 17...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
518 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 52 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.